"Bruver" - Question re lonely outdoor kitten/cat - re maMA, Loki and Rexie (for reference) - sorry , longish

Old June 19th 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default "Bruver" - Question re lonely outdoor kitten/cat - re maMA, Loki and Rexie (for reference) - sorry , longish

Long story trying to be short, I've told the story of maMA, found last
summer, friendly as anything (dumped, I'm sure) pregnant, got her spayed.
She then surprised the heck out of me a week after being spayed, by bringing
a litter of 5 kitens out of hiding. I found homes for 4, kept Loki, the boy.

Along about the time I got a home for the last kitten, two older orange
kittens (male, we presume) by at least a couple of months turned up. I know
they are hers because she used to let them nurse from her. I trapped one but
could never get the other. I bought a Petmate house for them and it's on our
porch, for maMA and the leftover orange one I call Bruver. (BTW, he won't
let us anywhere near him altho he's very curious about us. Won't even eat
until we go back into the house)

maMA now spends more time in than out. She comes in, curls up on a box by
the puter or on the top floor of the condo we have in the bedroom or in my
closet or on our bed and isn't heard from the rest of the day unless she and
Loki play, running thru the house. URLs for pix of all are in my sig.

When Bruver (I figure just about 1 yr old) comes home from his wanderings I
used to put maMA out, and she and he would sleep in the little house on the
porch. But now she'd rather sleep in at nite. This suits me fine, I got her
all her shots and the vet says she's in good condition. I want her to stay
that way.

THE PROBLEM/QUESTION: maMA has obviously distanced herself from Bruver. She
hears him cry for her on the porch, but isn't interested. Bruver is lonely
and he'll sit out there and cry, even looking in the window. But he'll
eventually (after an hour) settle down and either wander a bit or go to
sleep in the little house.

Is this behavior on maMA's part normal? I think she's just tired of being a
mommy. After all, had I not had her spayed, she'd have had her third litter
at just over a year old!

And is it normal for him to still be so attached to her? There really aren't
that many cats in the neighborhood except one that comes and bugs Bruver
occasionally.

Any advice, hints would be preciated.

--
ShirleyB, Rexie and Loki's Mom

Pictures of His Majesty, Rex: http://tinyurl.com/bvtjv
Pictures of Loki: http://tinyurl.com/9exao
Pictures of Mama & Kits: http://tinyurl.com/e5edz
Pix of "Bruver": http://tinyurl.com/jwvph

Homepage: http://jumi-shirley-butler.com
Webmaster: http://www.vinotecawinebar.com

"Trying to make a way out of no way is sometimes the only way"
Dr. Johnetta B. Cole