My cat stopped burying his waste in the litter box...PLEASE HELP!!

Old March 23rd 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joelberg

Default My cat stopped burying his waste in the litter box...PLEASE HELP!!

I have an 8 year old cat who recently got treated for a urinary tract
infection. He was at the vet for a week and ever since I brought him
home, he has all of a sudden stopped burying his pee/poo and tracks it
EVERYWHERE!!!!

I can't tell you how much this f***ing ****es me off, as well as how
disgusting it is and the time required to clean it. One time his ****
missed the litter box, and got smeared on the wall nearby. I almost
strangled my cat then and there. But anyways...

I orginally had a regular cat pan without a cover before his UTI
happened. Since the UTI started, he would hardly pee and poo, so I
understood why he didn't cover it (he was in pain). Ever since I
brought him home, he has continued this nonsense. I asked the vet what
to do and they don't have a clue. Does my cat feel traumatized by the
whole event and did he pick up a bad habit as a result?

I tried fixing this by buying an enclosed cat pan with a door flap.
He hates it, so I removed it. I also put newspaper outside the door
to catch flecks of litter that fly out of t he hole.

However....

HE STILL MAKES A MESS. He still won't bury his waste and tracks it
everywhere. About an hour ago, he somehow ended up peeing OUTSIDE the
litter box opening, onto the tile. I'm running out of patience. I love
my cat to death (he's the only one out of 3 who goes indoors), but I
don't know what else to do.

Please help,
-Joel
Old March 23rd 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

On Mar 22, 10:06 pm, Joelberg wrote:
I have an 8 year old cat who recently got treated for a urinary tract
infection. He was at the vet for a week and ever since I brought him

I can understand the frustration of extra work, but I am not really
seeing the problem here. The cats bowel movements, are they quite
loose? It sounds like it... that could be the result of several
things. How long has it been that he has been at the vet? Is he still
on medication? Seems like that could cause looser stools.

My cats don't always cover up their doo doo's in the litterbox and it
hasn't ever been a problem. Especially if the litter box is on a floor
with tile... Not too hard to clean up...

I am probably way off base here but I am a little confused. If litter
is flying out of the hole in the litterbox, the cat must be scratching
at the litter?

Old March 23rd 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot[_2_]

DUH!!!!............. Does my cat feel traumatized by the whole event and
did he pick up a bad habit as a result?

This is exactly what's going on. You have to give the cat time to adjust.
He's associating the pain the using the litter box.

You might try providing another box in a different location for him to use.
As for the getting it on the floor. Invest in plastic floor covering the
kind you buy at the hardware store that comes in rolls and place this on the
floor outside the box. I have an elderly cat who misses occasionally it
lands on the plastic and I just clean it up. It's part of owning a cat.

Celeste