Possum babies move into baby's house!

Old April 22nd 12, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

Default Possum babies move into baby's house!

On 4/22/2012 5:38 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Jack Campin wrote:

I sometimes wonder what human society would be like of women laid eggs.
There would be educational recordings you could play through the shell
with special headphones to educate your offspring before it hatched.
Antenatal yoga classes in how to best sit on your egg while hatching
it. True crime magazines would have horror stories about mothers being
found in possession of omelette pans and deadbeat fathers left in
charge of an egg and putting it in the fridge with the beer.

There was an American TV series a number of years ago that featured a
colony of humanoid aliens co-existing with normal humans. However, after
conception, it was the alien MAN who carried the fetus to term
("maternity suits" and all). I can guarantee there'd be no problem with
human overpopulation if the same arrangement were true for us!

That was "Alien Nation"

Old April 23rd 12, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Jack Campin wrote:

I sometimes wonder what human society would be like of women laid eggs.
There would be educational recordings you could play through the shell
with special headphones to educate your offspring before it hatched.
Antenatal yoga classes in how to best sit on your egg while hatching
it. True crime magazines would have horror stories about mothers being
found in possession of omelette pans and deadbeat fathers left in
charge of an egg and putting it in the fridge with the beer.

There was an American TV series a number of years ago that featured a
colony of humanoid aliens co-existing with normal humans. However, after
conception, it was the alien MAN who carried the fetus to term ("maternity
suits" and all). I can guarantee there'd be no problem with human
overpopulation if the same arrangement were true for us!

Ain't that just the truth. It would be interesting to know that if the man
gave birth to the first child, and the woman the second (alternately)
whether there would be a third baby.

Tweed

Old April 23rd 12, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default Alien Nation (was: Possum babies move into baby's house!)

Mishi wrote:

On 4/22/2012 5:38 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

There was an American TV series a number of years ago that featured a
colony of humanoid aliens co-existing with normal humans. However, after
conception, it was the alien MAN who carried the fetus to term
("maternity suits" and all). I can guarantee there'd be no problem with
human overpopulation if the same arrangement were true for us!

That was "Alien Nation"

Years ago I had a friend (from a writing group) who liked to write fan
fiction about her favorite TV shows, and this was one of them. I've never
watched the show, so everything I know about it comes from this friend's
stories. If you've ever read fan fic, you know some of it is really terrible,
but this woman was a wonderful writer, very entertaining.

Anyway, one thing I remember is that the developing... fetus? had these
different stages and at one point it was called something like "heffacado".
(Mishi, feel free to correct me - it's been over 20 years since I was in
this writing group.) So all the humans in the area (Los Angeles) took to
calling it the "avocado". But I don't know whether this was something
people actually said in the series, or if it was just a joke in my friend's
fanfic.

--
Joyce

Whenever you feel anger, you should say, "May I be free of this
anger!" This rarely works, but talking to yourself in public will
encourage others to leave you alone.
Old April 26th 12, 08:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Debbie Wilson wrote:

Joy wrote:

It is also a monotreme.

Yes - the living members of the class Mammalia are divided into three
sub-classes: Monotremata (egg-laying mammals such as echidnas,
platypuses etc); Marsupalia (marsupials such as kangaroos, wombats,
koalas, opossums etc that give birth to poorly developed young into a
pouch) and Placentalia (mammals that have a placenta and give birth to
well-formed offspring - all the rest, including us).

Another interesting misconception is that 'animals' and 'mammals' are
the same thing. The kingdom Animalia actually includes anything that is
not a plant, bacteria, virus, fungus or protistan. Therefore fish,
birds, reptiles, amphibians, molluscs, arthropods, worms etc are all
animals. Two nice images illustrating this can be seen he

http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb...4-88186EA7.jpg
http://gryphonschoollrc.files.wordpr...sification.jpg

A tapeworm isn't segmented? Then how come when my cats had tapeworms
several years ago, (GW) little segments were coming out of their butts?

Do caterpillars belong to the myriapod group?

Did you do those drawings, btw?

--
Joyce

Beauty and music seduce us first; later, ashamed of our own
sensuality, we insist on meaning. -- Clive Barker
Old April 27th 12, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

http://gryphonschoollrc.files.wordpr...sification.jpg
A tapeworm isn't segmented? Then how come when my cats had tapeworms
several years ago, (GW) little segments were coming out of their butts?

That's 19th century taxonomy, as well being wrong. Tapeworms are
not flatworms. They are more closely related to us than they are
to flatworms.

A taxonomists' proverb is "there is no such thing as a fish". Think
about it.

http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb...4-88186EA7.jpg

That's better, though the protist/moneran bit is proving more
complicated than anybody imagined a few decades ago.