Does Your Vet...

Old March 30th 12, 01:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Does Your Vet...

Let you in the exam room with your cat? Persia's vet in Tennessee did.

The only exception was when she was microchipped. The vet took her in the
back, ostensibly to weigh her. When he came back he said the deed was done,
she's chipped. He didn't want me to watch because he said the size of the
needle freaks some pet-parents out. (It's about the size of the end of a
ball-point pen.)

Otherwise, I was in the room, able to comfort her while she was being poked
and prodded.

Her vet in South Carolina makes you sit in the waiting room while they do
whatever it is they're doing. I don't like that. I want to be with my baby
to reassure her. Don't get me wrong, I like this vet very much. She's
saavy and she diagnosed the hyperthyroidism pretty quickly and immediately
went into action. When it turned out Persia was allergic to Tapazole
(Methimazole) she found the clinic for me for radioactive isotope therapy
and arranged everything. So yes, I like her. But for routine exams I'd
really like to be in the room with Persia.

I buy her R/x food from a different vet, closer to me. I've noticed all the
pet-parents there are sitting in the waiting room, too.

Does your vet let you come into the exam room with your cat(s)?

Jill

Old March 30th 12, 01:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2012-03-30 10:06 AM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Yes, for routine exams. For blood tests etc. - anything the cat is
likely to go into hysterics over - they tend to take them into a back room.

--
Cheryl
Old March 30th 12, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Except for when x-rays and as Cheryl said stuff that the furball may need to
be extra restraint YES. If a vet said no you cant be in here I would say I
guess neither does my master

Old March 30th 12, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_8_]

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

[...]

All my vets have, and she asks us tons of questions as part of the
examination.

Bobble

Old March 30th 12, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:10:33 -0230, Cheryl wrote:

On 2012-03-30 10:06 AM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Same here. I'm with the patient during the initial poking and proding,
but if they need to draw blood they go to the back room (vet and
assistant, and cat).
Old March 30th 12, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I would not patronize one that did not!
Old March 30th 12, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl wrote:
On 2012-03-30 10:06 AM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Well, yes - I should have qualified my response. I would not expect to
witness surgical procedures (if only for purposes of maintaining sterile
conditions).

Old March 30th 12, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

Let you in the exam room with your cat? Persia's vet in Tennessee did.

I've never been to a vet that didn't. I've always been present for
physical exams. They might take a cat back to have blood drawn, and
obviously for extensive treatment, I would probably have to leave
the cat there for the day or overnight. But for routine checkups, or
even for initial exams when something's wrong, I'm there while it's
happening. I want to be there to give the vet information, to ask
questions, and most of all, to comfort the cat. The first time I had
to bring Licky to the vet, he buried his head in my armpit! I was
sorry he was so scared, but it was really sweet.

--
Joyce

Loneliness is comforted by the closeness and touch of fur to fur,
skin to skin, or -- skin to fur. -- Paul Gallico
Old March 30th 12, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Our usual vet (Kylie) lets you stay or she lets me stay anyway, she
says it depends on the slave or owner in her experience as long as the
person can handle it with explanations like "I am just going to stick
a needle in to get some blood" which I am fine with and not get
hysterical then it's easier for the cat/dog whatever because they
have the comfort of someone familiar with them (Isis in particular
given she was agoraphobic needed me to hold her to get through this
ordeal) and easier for her if the animal is calmer and restrained by
someone who knows how they like to be held. Obviously I can't go into
the theatre etc but I held Bonnie until she went to sleep for her
spay.

One of the things I hated when I took Dunzi on the last trip was the
vet said -this being when we thought there was a chance "I'm going to
give her an antibiotic, set up a drip,give her a pain killer and
something to help her sleep then draw a blood test" and when I said
"Okay" she grabbed Dunzi, dropped her onto a scale and chased me out
of the clinic room teling me wait outside - I didn't get a choice

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old March 30th 12, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

It is normal to go into the surgery in the UK. I held Bagheera when his
chip was put in, he didn't even flinch.
--
Adrian