How long can you keep opened canned food?

Old February 14th 06, 11:04 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default How long can you keep opened canned food?

How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:

1. Left in a plate for her to eat? (apartment temp 60 deg F)
2. In a tightly closed can in the room? (apartment temp 60 deg F)
3. In a tightly closed can in the refrigerator?

Thanks.
Old February 14th 06, 11:31 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

AlexZ wrote:

How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:

Less than the time it takes to smell bad?

1. Left in a plate for her to eat? (apartment temp 60 deg F)
2. In a tightly closed can in the room? (apartment temp 60 deg F)
3. In a tightly closed can in the refrigerator?

For what it's worth, this is how I currently do it.

.... tear off a few inches of aluminum foil

.... from that, tear off one third or one half, enough to cover the
can top, and put the rest aside for the next time

.... clean the can with a quarter paper towel and rubbing alcohol
unless the can comes from a package

.... open the can and feed some to your beloved feline

.... cover the can with the aluminum foil pressing it over the sides
to make a tight fit

.... put it in the refrigerator

.... next time, you can either use the same aluminum foil or replace
it

Good luck.

Old February 14th 06, 11:42 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

John Doe wrote:
AlexZ wrote:

How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:

Less than the time it takes to smell bad?

Good luck.

this is coming from the laziest man (if you are in fact male)
God ever let breathe

Wow! you got a nerve

maybe you are a reptilian

Old February 14th 06, 11:51 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

John Doe wrote:

: How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:
: Less than the time it takes to smell bad?

Hmmm...I don't want to wait that long.

: ... tear off a few inches of aluminum foil

I use plastic lids I bought from petsmart/petco, they fit tightly.
However, Al foil should work too.
Old February 14th 06, 11:53 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

nym shifting troll

See also:
"Magic Mood Jeep©" buttercupstickysweet yahoo.com
"-L." bigbadbarry adelphia.net
"a christmas tree"
"abRokeNegRo"
"bag-o-switches"
"bigbadbarry"
"black-ip"
"chickenwing"
"coffeedog"
"hamandche betweentheknees.com"
"Jew"
"johndoeisadick"
"Levon"
"Mr Tibbs"
"NMR"
"Patches"
"Prozack"
"Resistance"
"Shalom"
"Switch"
"Themselves"
"wannabe"
"watermelon"
"whitershadeofpale"
"yo"

Old February 15th 06, 12:03 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Okay then, wait less than less than the time it takes to smell bad.

What is your question?

From: AlexZ alexz no.spam
Newsgroups: alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Old February 15th 06, 12:22 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"AlexZ" wrote in message
John Doe wrote:

: How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:
: Less than the time it takes to smell bad?

Hmmm...I don't want to wait that long.

If I don't give the unused portion to my cats the next day, I toss it. I
would say that you could probably serve it two days after opening it and it
would still be good. After that, no. Use your head. What do you do with your
own food? I don't keep meats more than 3 days, fish and chicken more than 2.

Old February 15th 06, 12:30 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

no more than a day. It dries up and develops a stale odor, like any
food left out unrefrigerated. Remember, most cat food is made of meat
by-products, andis subject to quick spoil. If not consumed within a
day, replace the food.

Old February 15th 06, 12:34 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

cybercat wrote:
"AlexZ" wrote in message
John Doe wrote:

: How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:
: Less than the time it takes to smell bad?

Hmmm...I don't want to wait that long.

If I don't give the unused portion to my cats the next day, I toss it. I
would say that you could probably serve it two days after opening it and it
would still be good. After that, no. Use your head. What do you do with your
own food? I don't keep meats more than 3 days, fish and chicken more than 2.

I let the cat judge for herself. When I buy a big can, 14 ounces?, of
super premium cat food, I'll usually keep it a week. Every day or so,
I'll put some out. But she usually won't eat this at all. I keep it in
the frig. Surprisingly it lasts easily. So I'm back to 3 ounce cans to
avoid all this. The 3 ounce is good for the day. If she gets hungry
enough, she'll eat the food even if it's 6 hours old. If she can keep a
mouse for a day or two, then she can keep a can for 6 hours. If I'm
feeling guilty, then it's 20 minutes and toss. I want her to eat more
canned - and she does when I'm not looking. I have not gotten this down
to a system yet as you can tell. I'm a male. That's my excuse Since
I'm a vegetarian, except for chicken noodle soup, I don't keep meats
more than 1 second

Old February 15th 06, 01:30 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"AlexZ" wrote in message
John Doe wrote:

: How long can I keep opened canned food if it is:
: Less than the time it takes to smell bad?

Hmmm...I don't want to wait that long.

: ... tear off a few inches of aluminum foil

I use plastic lids I bought from petsmart/petco, they fit tightly.
However, Al foil should work too.

I use small tupperware containers. The second day I microwave it for 10-15
seconds so that it is not refrigerator cold.

Joan