The Difference between Euthanasia & Killing

Old March 4th 09, 08:23 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
krazy[_2_]

Default The Difference between Euthanasia & Killing

The Difference between Euthanasia and Killing

Millions of cats die in U.S. animal control pounds and shelters every year.
The pounds and shelters say these animals are “euthanized.” But they’re
not—they are killed. An animal is only euthanized when she is terminally ill
or untreatably injured.
Euthanasia n. The act or practice of ending the life of an individual
suffering from a terminal illness or an incurable condition, as by lethal
injection or the suspension of extraordinary medical treatment. The American
Heritage Dictionary

Genuine euthanasia is a medical decision and is always done in an individual
animal’s best interest. It can be an important part of end-of-life care. But
most animals who die in pounds and shelters are killed for very different
reasons. Facilities kill animals to make room for new ones, to manage
disease, or to compensate for inadequate staff or funding. Decisions to kill
reflect the operating interests of facilities, not the best interests of
animals.

Using the word “euthanasia” masks what really happens to cats in pounds and
shelters—they are killed.

--
X-Signatu Default
E-mail address altered to foil spam.
Reply to news groups for all to see please.
_
/ )
(\__/) ( (
) ( ) )
={ }= / /
) `-------/ /
( /
\ |
,'\ , ,'
`-'\ ,---\ | \
_) ) `. \ /
(__/ ) )
(_/

(\__/)
)oo(
={ }=
..

Old March 4th 09, 09:40 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Bill Graham

"krazy" wrote in message
news

[...]

Perhaps so, but if there is no way to place all the animals in good homes,
and they have to spend their whole lives in cages, they may as well be
euthanized, in my opinion. I can't stand to see animals in cages. for this
reason, I will go to neither zoos nor pet stores.......

Old March 5th 09, 01:09 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Ivor Jones[_2_]

In ,
Bill Graham typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: "krazy" wrote in message
: news
[snip]

:
: Perhaps so, but if there is no way to place all the animals in good
: homes, and they have to spend their whole lives in cages, they may as
: well be euthanized, in my opinion. I can't stand to see animals in
: cages. for this reason, I will go to neither zoos nor pet
: stores.......

Well here in the UK I volunteer for Cats Protection (www.cats.org.uk) and
we never put a healthy cat to sleep. It is only ever done on a vet's
advice in cases of say FIP or leukemia (spelling..?)

One of the resident cats at our centre has been there over 2 years which
is nothing; one who died a couple of years back was there for 10 years,
she slept on top of the tumble dryer in the washroom ;-)

I still expect to see her there every time I go in there, dear old Polly
:-)

Ivor

Old March 15th 09, 11:03 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
fourblackcats

You're a good man Ivor. These agencies depend on volunteers like you to do
their good work. I live in the USA and have heard good things about Cat's
Protection in the UK. We call them "no-kill" shelters here in the US to
distinguish them from the many ones that do kill animals. There are not
enough no-kill shelters here and it's a big problem. The good news is that
things are getting better here for animals. Laws are being changed, for
example, making punishment for animal cruelty more severe. More people seem
to be volunteering at shelters and a few new ones have popped up. Most
no-kills have good adoption rates, however, there are still waiting lists to
take in abandoned or homeless animals, but the wait is only about a month.

Krazy does make a good point though and I think more people these days are
aware that we have to find a way to stop killing these animals. So everyone,
do your part. Volunteer at a shelter. Take political action. Go out and
rescue a stray cat or dog. Get it to a vet for testing and go from there.
Make some phone calls, talk to your friends, search the internet. Find a
no-kill shelter and put your name on their waiting list. You'll be a true
hero.

Allen

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
In ,
Bill Graham typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: "krazy" wrote in message
: news
[snip]