Website Advice needed, please

Old August 24th 03, 12:22 AM
Tanada

Default Website Advice needed, please

Pine Cone was so upset that no one was posting his adventures on the net
that I decided to turn his earthstink website totally over to him and
his varied fantasy life.

Well, we have a problem. Earthstink has a new site builder, and the
d*mn thing not only hates me, but refuses to work with me at all. I had
the second page almost perfect, all I had to do was shift the links and
runner up and I would be done. WRONG. I shifted the links up and the
whole thing went totally out of kilter and now looks nasty. I put the
links back where I had them, and it is still nasty. I want a web site
I, a total novice at web building, can work with, make attractive, honor
the great Cap'n Pine Cone, and not have to pay for.

YUP, I'm cheap. So, can you help me? Can you recommend web hosting
sites that I can work with, without any training in web design? Can you
help me get Pine Cone back on the water before he tears my eyes out?

Thanks,

Pam S. beleaguered
Old August 24th 03, 01:08 AM
John Biltz

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:22:19 -0700, Tanada wrote
(in message ):

[...]

I used the Trellix Earthlink provided which I guess is what you used. I
had to use my old Windows machine which I don't have anymore (sent it off
to a nephew). I am trying to find something like you asked for the Mac.
I'm not real interested in learning HTML I just want to put some pictures
of the cats up.

Old August 24th 03, 01:40 AM
Yowie

"Tanada" wrote in message
[...]

Most likely your copy of Windows came with Front Page Express.

This is a web page designer. I don't personally think much of it, but it
does work.

Design your page, save it as per Front Page Express's instructions, then
upload to Eartlink or wherver you want to put it.

Good luck.

Yowie

Old August 24th 03, 02:36 AM
Brenda Watkins

"Tanada" wrote in message
[...]

what about Pine Cone starting his own Yahoo group, like meankitty has? He
and his colleagues could post their stories and pictures on a group quite
easily - and it wouldn't cost a dime.
Brenda

Old August 24th 03, 03:27 AM
Julie Cook

Tanada wrote:

YUP, I'm cheap. So, can you help me? Can you recommend web hosting
sites that I can work with, without any training in web design? Can you
help me get Pine Cone back on the water before he tears my eyes out?

Thanks,

Pam S. beleaguered

Pam,

I've been pleased with Lycos (www.lycos.com). I use Netscape composer to
write the page and then upload to lycos.com and have had no trouble getting
a mirror upload. I do know html and could write a page using whatever
program is available but I enjoy the ease with Netscape composer and Lycos.

Julie

Old August 24th 03, 06:45 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 23:22:19 GMT, Tanada wrote:

[...]

Pam, don't know what you're using, but if you're on a PC and have
Netscape, try using Netscape Composer. That's what I've used for my
four websites, and it works very easily for the most part -- very
little knowledge of anything other than some basic design stuff
involved. You can upload to any site with WS Ftp (forget the full
name), a little program that is free if your site is non-commercial.

Hope that helps!

Ginger-lyn

Old August 24th 03, 06:55 PM
Hopitus2

Hee hee - Debbie, your sig line quote from Greenfield describes our Blind
Terrorist Rowdy to a "T"! ROFL.

"Debbie Maizels" wrote in message
: John Biltz wrote:
:
: I used the Trellix Earthlink provided which I guess is what you used. I
: had to use my old Windows machine which I don't have anymore (sent it
off
: to a nephew). I am trying to find something like you asked for the Mac.
: I'm not real interested in learning HTML I just want to put some
pictures
: of the cats up.
:
: Hi John, After a lot of deliberation I recently subscribed to .mac and I
: think it's great - I see you're on OS X like me so you will get other
: benefits too. It has basic web site design built-in and a really well
: integrated photo album feature, incredibly easy to use (drag and drop
: from your desktop to your iDisk's pictures folder, or publish straight
: from iPhoto, then just choose your page design and type in the captions)
: and with quite a good choice of page designs ready-made. With my
: forthcoming wedding I wanted something that I could use for photos
: quickly and easily and it fulfils all of that plus a lot more. Plus you
: can store your Safari bookmarks and Address Book if you need to access
: them away from your home Mac, you get a sort of ftp service and of
: course your .mac email account with anti-virus for free. I think it's
: well worth the subscription - YMMV, but worth looking into. They do a
: 60-day free trial.
:
: Deb.
: (not affiliated with Apple :-) )
:
: --
: Y! diatomdeb :: 0°07'W 51°18'N :: www.scientific-art.com
:
: "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
: He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield

Old August 24th 03, 07:43 PM
polonca12000

I didn't know you were getting married. Congratulations!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

snip With my

Old August 24th 03, 08:11 PM
Debbie Maizels

Hopitus2 wrote:

Hee hee - Debbie, your sig line quote from Greenfield describes our Blind
Terrorist Rowdy to a "T"! ROFL.

LOL, you've got to forgive them somehow, haven't you )

Deb.
--
Y! diatomdeb :: 0°07'W 51°18'N :: www.scientific-art.com

Old August 25th 03, 02:54 AM
Stacey

John,

Actually, learning HTML is quite easy and I find it much more rewarding to
tinker around with html instead of the publishers... but I will say that
it's much easier to layout picture pages (%picture pages picture pages open
up your picture pages...%) using the publishers.

Stacey (who used a really good online tutorial for html programming... I'll
see if I can find it)
thlink.net...