Gray Cats turn Gray?

Old August 26th 03, 05:26 AM
Marina

"bewtifulfreak" wrote

LOL....yeah, I was going to mention that, I think a lot of black cats get
brownish as they get older, but I think some of that may be the sun, too.
Has anyone had an older black cat who didn't go out much and still got
rusty? I know some older dogs do get a bit gray, usually around the

muzzle,
so I imagine cats' coat colors do sometimes change with age as well.

Well, my Frank is going brown. He is indoors about 11 months of the year,
and goes outside for one month, or like this summer, 6 weeks. His Dad also
went brown when he got older. The texture of his fur is changing, too. It
used to be smooth and shining, now it's softer and fluffier.

Nikki, on the other hand, is not going brown, but she suddenly has a lot of
white hairs along her back, which used to be completely black except for
three white hairs on the rump. She is really turning into a little grey old
lady.

--
Marina

Old August 26th 03, 02:44 PM
JBHajos

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 04:09:09 +0100, "bewtifulfreak"
wrote:

I do know cats sometimes change color a bit as they age, but I think it's
usually a lot later. She might be going gray, but more likely, like someone
else mentioned, it's a seasonal or undercoat thing.

Our Hobo, at 11, is not going gray but his apparent "undercoat" has
definitely surfaced. Originally, and for years, he was a creamy-white
kitty with pale yellow rings around his tail and some pale yellow
around his ears and forehead. All white otherwise. For the past year
and a half or so he's had several surgeries and injury treatments,
requiring shaving. Wherever he was shaved, the hair grew back a
*dark* yellow!! Other areas are also changing so that now he's about
half yellow! He's still beautiful but sometimes I sorta miss my
creamy-white fellow...

Jeanne
Old August 26th 03, 02:52 PM
bewtifulfreak

wrote:

I do know cats sometimes change color a bit as they age, but I think
it's usually a lot later. She might be going gray, but more likely,
like someone else mentioned, it's a seasonal or undercoat thing.

Our Hobo, at 11, is not going gray but his apparent "undercoat" has
definitely surfaced. Originally, and for years, he was a creamy-white
kitty with pale yellow rings around his tail and some pale yellow
around his ears and forehead. All white otherwise. For the past year
and a half or so he's had several surgeries and injury treatments,
requiring shaving. Wherever he was shaved, the hair grew back a
*dark* yellow!! Other areas are also changing so that now he's about
half yellow! He's still beautiful but sometimes I sorta miss my
creamy-white fellow...

Aww, I can understand that. It's hard to say whether that is age or
undercoat, because cats don't all go gray when they get older; black go
brown, white go yellow, and so forth. So hard to say with that one. Hope
in any case that he's doing well after his surgeries....

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak