"The Russian Blue" book, anyone?

Old December 2nd 03, 08:16 PM
Nina S.

.. Any thoughts?

Plenty. First, what happened to the female rescue? Did you ever find out?
This is only one of many reasons my cats, all 6 of them, stay indoors. No
unexplained disappearances. Maybe this is something you should consider
before adopting another. They are so much safer and healthier that way.

As for the sex, I don't think it really matters. I would look for one who
has lived with other cats, (and possibly dogs), and is within close age to
Morris. It's been my experience that males tend to be a bit more
affectionate than females, but this is not always the case. I have met a
couple females who were total love bugs.

Nina

Old December 2nd 03, 08:52 PM
jim hinds

We have had two female cats living together for about 14 years. Actually we
started with one female tabby about 10 years old then we got a female kitten
Manx and they lived together for about ten years until the older one passed
away.We then took in our daughters cat for about two years. This was a male
tabby and they got along great. Four years ago we adopted a black Bobtail
female. Both are about the same age.

What we have found is with the female cats one of them is always trying to be
the boss no matter what. First its one then the other. Makes for some
interesting scenes.

When we had both a male and female cat they got along fine but there was alot
of rough housing.

Two cats in the same house should be no problem as long as follow a few simple
steps. Two litter boxes two food bowls. Just be prepared for each of them
trying to own out.

Susan wrote:

I am a brand new subscriber and have a question - we have had cats for
years, but never 2 until last year when we adopted a year old female, part
Russian Blue, after having to put down our 18 year old cat. She was a
shelter cat and had free run of the shelter, so she was lonely and we got a
4 month old male a couple of months later. He was very dominant right off
the bat and ambushed her constantly. They got along and played alot, but I
know there were times when she was not at all happy with the constant
ambushing. We also have 2 Labrador Retrievers and I believe Morris thinks
he's a dog and gets along famously with them. Anyway, the female cat
disappeared about 2 months ago. Morris is about a year old now and he's
really lonely. We're going to adopt another, but I'm curious whether it's
better to have 2 cats of the same sex or doesn't it matter if they are
neutered to begin with. Any thoughts? Susan

Old December 2nd 03, 09:14 PM
J_Harmeson

"Anonymous" wrote in message
news:ZWxpcw==.7b5e1d75f80d38d72ed2275c174d3ff3@107 0391065.cotse.net...
J_Harmeson wrote:

After reading that, "cat disappeared about 2 months ago", mabye you
shouldn't have cats.

Aha, that kind of retarded response shows you are most probably Bob
Brenchley. (or at the very least his sockpuppet). You appear to be
suffering from multiple personality disorder!

Tired of being killfiled by everyone are we Bob?

IDIOT!

*PLONK*

Brenchley =
Anonymous

Old December 2nd 03, 11:42 PM
Luvskats00

"Susan"
asks

.... we have had cats for
years, but never 2 until last year when we adopted a year old female, part
Russian Blue....she was lonely and we got a
4 month old male a couple of months later. He was very dominant right off
the bat and ambushed her constantly....We also have 2 Labrador

Retrievers...the female cat
disappeared about 2 months ago. Morris is about a year old now and he's
really lonely. We're going to adopt another, but I'm curious whether it's
better to have 2 cats of the same sex or doesn't it matter if they are
neutered to begin with.

That's a lot to digest, Susan. First, you must be aware that for every question
posted in this (or, probably, many newsgroups) you will get many answers..some
contradicting others. You must weed through the posts to determine what info
to accept and what to reject. Before you can do that, you must have some basic
info on cat/dog behavior - healthcare. Since you currently have several pets,
I hope you visit some dog/cat websites (and ask your vet questions along the
way) so you know what you're doing!

Why did a cat disappear under your care? You didn't say the cat was lost or
escaped from the house. From your post, it sounds extremely careless. If you
are ovewhelmed with your current lot of pets, don't adopt another. Currently,
there's a difference of opinion on whether it's acceptable or cruel to let a
cat roam outside. I strongly support keeping a pet inside - in the US, the
expert opinion is that it's best to keep to keep cats inside.

If, after all of this, you feel responsible enough to add another pet, I've
asked other pet owners, vets, newsgroups, websites. Following the advice, I
adopted an opposite sex cat. The match is shakey. Resident male cat attacks
new female cat. I hope you have good luck - with keeping your pets from
disappearing, at least.

Old December 5th 03, 12:59 PM
Donald L Ferrt

"Susan" wrote in message ...
[...]

Lonely cat? How can you tell? Often you will get more problems with
getting another cat! I keep mine in the house and an enclosure
attached to the house! Have 5 cats. The Young male oftens interacts
to the young female. She will play sometimes and scratch his eyes
sometimes also! Never had a cat alone I would say was lonely!

Old December 5th 03, 01:00 PM
Donald L Ferrt

"Susan" wrote in message ...
[...]

PS = Pics of my outside cat enclosu