Got this from my Scottish NG: Sam The Skull

Old March 22nd 04, 03:32 AM
Yowie

"Duke of URL" macbenahATkdsiDOTnet wrote in message
In ,
polonca12000 radiated into the WorldWideWait:
"Tanada" wrote in message
nk.net...
Adrian wrote:
Why not sign up to http://news.individual.net/ it's free and does
carry soc.culture.scottish

Yes, but does it get alt.cats.worlddomination?

Don't tell me you've started a newsgroup also, Pine Cone ?
Best wishes,

I just looked. My ISP provides acw - it sounds interesting; I think
I'll subscribe and see.
Incidentally, you folks have me curious. Just how do you determine
what Newsgroup company an ISP uses without calling and asking them?

You can tell from your "bang path" in the headers of the messages you
receive

In Outlook Express, open any news message and go file-properties (alt-enter)
and then select the details tab. The first line should say "Path:..."

After "Path:", the text before the first exclamation point should tell you
what server the message that you are reading appears upon.

The next one tell you from what server it picked up that message from, etc
etc etc, until you get allt he way down to the last one or two servers, and
they'll tell you from which server the message originated. This is called
the "bang path" and you can see how many "hops" (servers) that message had
to make to get to you.

Its very much like sending a letter in that the enevlope has go to go
through various different mail centres to get to you. If I sent a Christmas
Card to you, for example, it would be stamped at my local office (my server)
before beign sent to the South Coast Mail Centre for sorting. It may then be
sent to Sydney Airport for a flight to the USA, land in LA with lots of
other mail, be resorted at LA's mail centre, get on another plane to go to
your home state, resorted again at the central mail depot, and then sent to
your local post office by van or rail, resorted for your suburb and street,
and put into your mail box. Each stop and re-sort is similar to the "bang
path" of the electronic message. And the route that my Christmas card may
take to get to you today amy very well be different to the one it owuld take
if I sent it tomorrow - sure the departure point (my post office) and the
arrival point (your mailbox) would be the same, but it could end up going
via New York instead of LA because of traffic conditions or available
flights. Usent is wired in such a way that mesages can get through a number
of different pathways from sender to receiver, just so the place doesn't
come to a screaming halt if one or two servers go down - it just routes the
message around them.

Hope that helps.

Yowie

Headers can be forged, of course,

Old March 22nd 04, 04:46 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 19:20:03 -0600, "Duke of URL"
macbenahATkdsiDOTnet wrote:

I just looked. My ISP provides acw - it sounds interesting; I think
I'll subscribe and see.
Incidentally, you folks have me curious. Just how do you determine
what Newsgroup company an ISP uses without calling and asking them?

Like so many things, it depends on your software, but I'm fairly sure
that all of them will have an option like mine. Anyway, here's what
I'd do.

First off I'd open the Group Window. I normally just have it listing
my subscribed groups, so I'd change to all groups. This gives me a
listing of all the groups listed on my server the last time I
refreshed the listing. Then, I'd search for the group I'm interested
in - definitely not something I'd want to scroll through, as my server
currently has over 30,000 groups. If I don't find the group I want,
I'd get an up to date listing, I click on Option, then Refresh Groups
List, and get a listing of all the groups my server currently carries.
then run the search again.

I use Free Agent, but like I said you can probably to the same thing.

As far as the cat worldomination group, I checked my server, and while
it exists there have only been a half dozen posts this year.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old March 22nd 04, 08:27 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"Duke of URL" macbenahATkdsiDOTnet had some very interesting things
to say about Got this from my Scottish NG: Sam The Skull:

I just looked. My ISP provides acw - it sounds interesting; I think
I'll subscribe and see.
Incidentally, you folks have me curious. Just how do you determine
what Newsgroup company an ISP uses without calling and asking them?

In Agent, I can switch my Groups view from Subscribed to All, and that
gets me the whole list my ISP offers. The support guys are also quite
nice about adding groups on user request. :-)

--
"Don't mess with major appliances unless you know what you are doing
(or unless your life insurance policy is up-to-date)." - John, RCFL
Old March 22nd 04, 02:01 PM
:-\)Liz

I'll try getting to it via ya'lls suggestion..after I return from my
business trip...to frassled to attempt it now..... Thanks!!!! :-) Liz

"CK" wrote in message
:-) Liz wrote:

Double rats! SOC.culture.scottish... Isn't on my server either! Is

this
just a evil plot to keep Merkins off Scottish News Groups..or perhaps,

just
Texans, USA.....:-) Liz

soc.culture.scottish seems to be available at the free german news
server - News.individual.net.
You can register at http://www.individual.net/ and they'll eventually
(mine took about a month, others have had them in a couple of days) send
you your username and password. Then you can create a new news account
into your newsreader according to the instructions on the website and
you're up and running with them.

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Old March 25th 04, 03:54 AM
Tanada

polonca12000 wrote:

Don't tell me you've started a newsgroup also, Pine Cone ?
Best wishes,

It's already there and the fat wench's server won't serve it up. Worse
the fat wench won't demand it be available, so it has to be used enough
for earthlink to subscribe to it:-( So, all you kitties who have owners
who can get the group, make them post in it. If we can post enough
messages, maybe the fat wench will be able to get it on her server and
we can finalize our plans to take over the world.

Cap'n Pine Cone esq. hopeful

Old March 25th 04, 08:05 AM
LOL

Tanada wrote in message ink.net...
polonca12000 wrote:

Don't tell me you've started a newsgroup also, Pine Cone ?
Best wishes,

It's already there and the fat wench's server won't serve it up. Worse
the fat wench won't demand it be available, so it has to be used enough
for earthlink to subscribe to it:-( So, all you kitties who have owners
who can get the group, make them post in it. If we can post enough
messages, maybe the fat wench will be able to get it on her server and
we can finalize our plans to take over the world.

Cap'n Pine Cone esq. hopeful

Cap'n, your mind control is too powerful for me to resist. I will
post a message to a.c.w.d. today.

------
Krista
Zombified
Old March 25th 04, 09:59 AM
Hopitus2

Hey, I posted in acwd to Pine Cone and told His Captainship to have a little
respect for the wench who fills his food bowl. Let's revive this decomposing
ng so Cap'n P.C. can go for his power trip. All to a.c.w.d. to post messages
to him.

"LOL" wrote in message
om...
: Tanada wrote in message
ink.net...
: polonca12000 wrote:
:
: Don't tell me you've started a newsgroup also, Pine Cone ?
: Best wishes,
:
: It's already there and the fat wench's server won't serve it up. Worse
: the fat wench won't demand it be available, so it has to be used enough
: for earthlink to subscribe to it:-( So, all you kitties who have owners
: who can get the group, make them post in it. If we can post enough
: messages, maybe the fat wench will be able to get it on her server and
: we can finalize our plans to take over the world.
:
: Cap'n Pine Cone esq. hopeful
:
:
: Cap'n, your mind control is too powerful for me to resist. I will
: post a message to a.c.w.d. today.
:
: ------
: Krista
: Zombified

Old March 25th 04, 04:52 PM
Tanada

LOL wrote:

Cap'n, your mind control is too powerful for me to resist. I will
post a message to a.c.w.d. today.

------
Krista
Zombified

My mind control must be powerful. I got the fat wench to subscribe to
earthlink.support.usenet and request alt.cats.world.domination be added
to the server. She'd better have put up an eloquent enough request, or
I'll make her serve me fresh fish for dinner.

Cap'n Pine Cone esq.

Old March 25th 04, 04:53 PM
Tanada

Hopitus2 wrote:

Hey, I posted in acwd to Pine Cone and told His Captainship to have a little
respect for the wench who fills his food bowl. Let's revive this decomposing
ng so Cap'n P.C. can go for his power trip. All to a.c.w.d. to post messages
to him.

Woo hoo!!! Our very own newsgroup where we can set out the ultimate
plane for taking over the wurld. I like it!! Thanks to all who post there.

Cap'n Pine Cone esq.

Old March 25th 04, 07:32 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:53:44 GMT, Tanada wrote:

Hopitus2 wrote:

Hey, I posted in acwd to Pine Cone and told His Captainship to have a little
respect for the wench who fills his food bowl. Let's revive this decomposing
ng so Cap'n P.C. can go for his power trip. All to a.c.w.d. to post messages
to him.

Woo hoo!!! Our very own newsgroup where we can set out the ultimate
plane for taking over the wurld. I like it!! Thanks to all who post there.

Cap'n Pine Cone esq.

That's just way to cool a name for a group to be left to those no good
scurvy hoomin spam trolls. Just dictated a post to the hoomin. We're
up to four messages, so maybe if we get enough of the hoomins here we
can reclaim a group which is, rightfully, ours to rule!

Felines of the world, UNITE!

Sammy

dutifully type by the hoomin,
--