OT - like the real baddies will be answering truthfully... not!

Old March 25th 04, 03:59 AM
John F. Eldredge

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
http://pgp.mit.edu

Old March 25th 04, 04:19 AM
Seanette Blaylock

John F. Eldredge had some very interesting
things to say about OT - like the real baddies will be answering
truthfully... not!:

Oh, gee. And I got so paranoid about downloading music I quit
doing it.
Well what on earth will you be doing with the music??? For all we
know, you could be producing WMED (Weapons of Mass Ear Destruction)

AKA boom cars.

I live on a through-street that connects two neighborhoods, and so
have plenty of traffic going past my house. I have had a few cars go
by with sound systems so loud that I literally could hear dishes
rattling in the kitchen cabinets, and could see objects inside the
house vibrating to the THUD, THUD, THUD coming from outside. I have
wondered whether such systems are less loud inside the car than they
are outside, since they are sometimes loud enough to be painful to
someone standing near the car. I have also never understood the
attraction of such sound systems, since they generally pass only the
lowest-frequency part of the music, not enough to recognize what is
being played.

Lots of boom-car jerks in my apartment complex. I *hate* those things!
It's IMO completely obnoxious to be cruising down the sidewalk with my
MP3 player going [and I do run it fairly loud] and be totally unable
to hear what I'm trying to because some jerk on the other side of a
four-lane street [plus turn lane] thinks everyone for a block or more
needs to be "thumpa thumpa"ed [and don't EVEN get me ranting about the
idiots in the parking lot right outside my bedroom window at
0-dark-30!].

--
"Don't mess with major appliances unless you know what you are doing
(or unless your life insurance policy is up-to-date)." - John, RCFL
Old March 25th 04, 04:29 AM
rbinca

John F. Eldredge said:

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:11:08 -0800, Seanette Blaylock
wrote:

(dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) had
[...]

Well, if it's any consulation if anything should break, the drivers will
shortly probably be deaf as low frequency vibrations at that volume
cause more hearing damage than higher frequency sounds - or so I have
heard.

--
"There are few things in life more heartwarming than to
be welcomed by a cat." - Tay Hohoff
Old March 25th 04, 04:50 AM
badwilson

dsh-diva wrote in message
s.com...

On a related note, a friend of mine was stopped by a state trooper on
95 between Baltimore and Philadelphia and he actually asked her if she
had any weapons or any drugs or any anthrax in the car. Don't you
feel safer just knowing the state police are on the case? She was
headed to a landscape design class, you know the terrorist group?

I always do my weekly food shopping in Pattaya, a really sleazy tourist town
here in Thailand. But it's where the good stores are. Anyway, there is a
big Marriott hotel and attached to it is a mall with underground parking.
Ever since the Bali bombings, they walk around your car with a mirror on a
stick before you can enter the underground parking. Probably because the
Marriott is American and they are worried about terrorism. But I have never
actually seen the guy look at the mirror as he walked around my car, he's
always checking out the chicks walking by. Then you have to open your trunk
and he looks inside. But I have a styrofoam cooler in there and they never
open that! I mean if I had a bomb in my trunk, I'd surely hide it a bit
(such as in the cooler) instead of having it lying around openly in the
trunk! I guess I wouldn't feel so put out by these security measures if I
actually felt as thought they were helping at all.
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's covered

Old March 25th 04, 05:07 AM
Yowie

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Like a real terrorist is going to be answering truthfully ;-) I just

fell about
laughing!

From the US visa application form:

Do you seek to enter the United States to engage in export control
violations, subversive or terrorist activities, or any other unlawful
purpose? Are you a member or representative of a terrorist organization
as currently designated by the U.S. Secretary of State? Have you ever
participated in persecutions directed by the Nazi government of Germany;
or have you ever participated in genocide?

Does the attempted genocide of all things greebling count?

If so, I know of the presence of a grey furry terrorist...

Yowie

Old March 25th 04, 05:12 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:29:53 -0800, rbinca wrote:

[...]

Which just means a bigger amp and speakers, since they can't hear.

Last month I went down to pick up a new remote for the truck alarm. I
got two when I installed the alarm in 1990 and the 2nd one finally
quit working (I get my money's worth from those folks who offer
lifetime warranties).

Anyway, a kid drove up and came in to check out prices on some monster
amp and speakers. I have no idea what he was talking about, but the
estimate for what he wanted was over $2500. The saleman who went out
to check out the kid's car to make sure this monster sound system
would fit came back in alone, and burst out laughing. Seems the kid
was going home to try to convince Mom to help talk Dad into getting it
for his birthday installed in his 25 year old junker of a car.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old March 25th 04, 09:52 AM
Hopitus2

Any questions on toe-biting? We give you.......the Schmogg.

"Yowie" wrote in message
u...
: "Victor Martinez" wrote in message
: ...
: dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
: Like a real terrorist is going to be answering truthfully ;-) I just
: fell about
: laughing!
:
: From the US visa application form:
:

Old March 25th 04, 11:29 AM
Adrian

O J wrote:
On Wed, 24 Mar, Theresa wrote:

Reminds me a bit of Do Not Use This Hairdryer in the Bathtub or While
Asleep. Well, gosh dang, that's why I bought the dernfool thing. :P

Theresa

My personl favorite is on the sunscreen for my truck. I says,
"Do not operate vehicle with sunscreen in place."

Regards,
O J

I like the sleeping pills that say "may cause drowsiness"
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy, Milo & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old March 25th 04, 07:49 PM
Tanada

jmcquown wrote:

Ha! Well, it reminds me of something we were given at work a few years ago.
"Bomb Threat Checklist". If someone calls in a bomb threat to our company,
we are supposed to ask a list of questions including "What is your name?"
"Where is the bomb?" "What kind of bomb is it?" and fill out check boxes
describing how their voice sounded (i.e. foreign, muffled, disguised), stuff
like that. Then we are to call a specific person in the company and read
them the information from the checklist before they can call the police/bomb
squad. Yeah, right.

We have a sort of checklist for that sort of thing at work as well. I
don't know if I'd remember to follow it though.

I've been reading the messages about having cars searched etc. and
laughing. When we have to go on post and the alert level is up, all
vehicles are searched, including semis. There are bomb dogs, we have to
get out of the van and they go through it removing and looking into all
items and storage places, including the glove box, bags of groceries and
other stuff we may have bought, and purses. They also run a visual scan
on our bodies and a metal wand if necessary. I tease Rob about the
titanium plate in his head setting them off. Basically, a cursory
search takes about five minutes, a thorough search can last as long as
fifteen. It is a definite inducement to keep the van clean.

Pam S.

Old March 26th 04, 12:57 AM

Kreisleriana wrote:

Reminds me a bit of Do Not Use This Hairdryer in the Bathtub or While
Asleep. Well, gosh dang, that's why I bought the dernfool thing. :P

No, no - that's different. Those warnings are protection against
liability, in case some idiot does use their hairdryer while asleep
(that would be quite a feat) and gets hurt.

Dell's WMD question is more like the questions they ask at the airport
when you're checking your bags. I don't see how those questions protect
the airline from lawsuits. I don't see how they protect anyone from
anything.

Joyce