Hugo Katt news. Not so good.

Old November 19th 05, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Hugo Katt news. Not so good.

I expected the vet to phone about medicine for Hugo Katt's hyperthyroidism.
He called - but the news was bad. The last result from all the tests had
come. Hugo's test was positive to FIP.
I didn't even know we have FIP in Sweden. I have never ever heard of a cat
here that has got it. The vet said Hugo might have had it from his birth.
Kittens can be infected by their mother before they are born. Hugo's mother
was a homeless cat. As Hugo has been strong and healthy all his life it can
have lain dormant until he now, at 16, is getting weaker.
I think now that I am lucky to have only one cat. If there had been more,
they could have been infected too.
The vet said that it is probably no use to give Hugo any medication for the
hyperthyroidism. It is very unlikely to work on a FIP cat. And Hugo hates
being pilled, so he would be upset, two times a day, and it is very bad for
him to be stressed.
So that is that.
I will try to make his remaining time as comfortable as possible. He sleeps
a lot but I think he still likes to live. The vet thinks so too.
Some of you wondered why Hugo had to stay 6 days in the hospital. He was in
a bad shape when I brought him in, very thin and dehydrated. So he needed to
be rehydrated for several days and generally looked after. You could say he
got a spa week.
Elisabet

Old November 19th 05, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 19:07:25 +0100, Lisa Katt wrote:

[...]

Sending comfort purrs for Hugo. May his remaining time be comfortable and
happy. MLB
Old November 19th 05, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Ah, Elizabet, such awful news. But we all know that Hugo gave you many good
years and that he was a happy and loved cat with you. Whatever time he has
left will be comfortable, we pray, we know he is already loved.
Lily & her mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come

Old November 19th 05, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Lisa Katt wrote:
I expected the vet to phone about medicine for Hugo Katt's hyperthyroidism.
He called - but the news was bad. The last result from all the tests had
come. Hugo's test was positive to FIP.

I'm very sorry to hear this news, Elisabet. Many purrs for Hugo to be
happy and comfortable a long time still, and for you boh to enjoy your
remaining time together.

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old November 19th 05, 06:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 19:07:25 +0100, "Lisa Katt"
yodeled:

[...]

Poor Hugo. Purrs for a peaceful time for him.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old November 19th 05, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Lisa Katt" wrote in message
I expected the vet to phone about medicine for Hugo Katt's
hyperthyroidism.
He called - but the news was bad. The last result from all the tests
had
come. Hugo's test was positive to FIP.

Sorry to hear this, but there's actually no such thing as an FIP test.
FIP is an internal mutation of the Feline Corona Virus (FeCV or FeCoV)
which itselt CAN be tested for.

Please visit the world-leading site www.dr-addie.com to learn more.
By the time you've been through it you'll probably be better informed
than your vet.

However, it's still really bad news and I send you my most empathetic
purrs, as I lost my darling Pericles to this thing at only age 6.

Best wishes
Gordon & the FF

Old November 19th 05, 07:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I am so sorry to hear this. I hope that you and Hugo have as much quality
time left as it's humanly possible to provide him. Prayers and purrs are
on the way for you both.

Donna, Captain, and Stanley

Old November 19th 05, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Huge hugs, Lisa, for you and Hugo Katt. I'm so very sorry that the news is
what it is. I'm glad he still has some quality time to spend with you.
You're both in our thoughts and purrayers.
Christine

Old November 19th 05, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

poor Hugo. At least he has you to care for him.

--
Sandra