Types of purrs

Old April 3rd 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Types of purrs

One of the wonderful things about cats is their purr. I think that
there are a lot of different types of purrs that communicate different
feelings.

One type of purr is the purr of realization. The realization of being
loved. A cat produces this purr when it's been asleep, and you start
stroking it. It may be accompanied by acknowledging murping and
squirming.

Another type of purr is the purr of anticipation. Cats produce this
purr when they're expecting something. Betty would make this purr
when I was preparing treats, or if she was asking to get under the
covers or on top of my lap. Cats also make this purr when you've just
come home from work, and they're waiting to be picked up and cuddled.

But the most subtle form of purr is the purr of revelation. Betty
would make this purr when she wanted to tell me something. First, she
would come to me giving off a purr of anticipation.

Me: "Oh, hello honey. You want to be with daddy?"
Betty: "Purrr"
Me: "Okay." (picks her up and walks around) "How long would you like
to be with daddy?"
Betty: "Purr-murmur"
Me: "'Forever'?! You know that's a long time."
Betty: "Purrrr"
Me: "You realize that means we would never ever be apart?"
Betty: "Purrrrrr"
Me: "Thank you my love. Daddy wants to be with you forever too." (kiss
and nose-touch)

Old April 3rd 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 00:28:18 -0400, Takayuki
yodeled:

One of the wonderful things about cats is their purr. I think that
there are a lot of different types of purrs that communicate different
feelings.

One type of purr is the purr of realization. The realization of being
loved. A cat produces this purr when it's been asleep, and you start
stroking it. It may be accompanied by acknowledging murping and
squirming.

I especially love that one. Stinky is the master of it. When I wake
up Dante, he's ready to play, and starts bopping at me immediately.

[...]

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old April 4th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

I'm always in a state of wonder about the language of our five, including The
Most Glorious Sound of Purr. Roxie has the purr of realiazation honed to a
quiet but well-spoken art. She'll squirm a bit when we approach her on her
"bed" (my pile of laundry of such magtnitude that I haven't stuck anything in
my closet for a shamefully long period because Madame gets miffed if I
disturb it) and give her a scritchie or petting, and purr so quietly you have
to feel her throat to know it's there. Stosh saves his for when he wants his
pick-up, or when my Little Gent is giving Mama her nightly spa treatment.
Brandy is the princess of anticipation, because she knows how to work the
cute and will come up and purr because she knows it'll get her some petting
or foot-wrestling or just a nice loud "Awwwwwww! What a cute Little Baby!"
Odessa is another quiet one like Roxie, and purrs when she knows she is
secure; for the Odessa-Doll never seems to quite know she's home for good,
and always comes to us with an air of "Do you guys still like me?" And we
tell her, "No, Dolly; we love you!" and that's when she'll roll about and
give us gut (or in Louie's case alone, give him butt, as close to the nose as
possible.) Sabrina has the loudest purr, and it's neither realization nor
anticipation; it's both and neither. I think after all The Matron has gone
through, that she has a sense of gratitude in that purr, and I think she's
thanking us.

Blessed be,
Baha

Old April 4th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 00:28:18 -0400, Takayuki wrote:

One of the wonderful things about cats is their purr. I think that
there are a lot of different types of purrs that communicate different
feelings.

I think my favorite purrer is Harri. Each of the kitties has his/her own
distinctive purrs, but Harri's seem somehow - different. Harri manages to
mingle purrs and meows in a most distinctive way.

When I get home from work, Harri is almost always at the top of the
stairs, looking out of her favorite window. When she hears a key in the
front door lock she gives a little "mrrrp?" sound - saying "Who's here?",
I guess.

Once I get the door open and step in, I get a more declarative "mrrrp!" -
she's saying "It's Paw!".

She is by far the smallest of our kitties, so when she comes down the
stairs it's always front paw-front paw-rear paw-rear paw down one step,
the again for the next step, etc. With each step she descends, she gives
me another "mrrrp!" chirp. When she finally gets to the bottom step she
stretches out as high as she can reach with her front paws on my leg and
gives me a long, wavering "mrrrrr-ow?" meow. That's her signal that she
wants to do a shoulder ride. I bend down so that she can put her front
paws on my shoulder, then put a hand under her butt and lift her as I
stand. She immediately wraps herself around my neck, rubbing her face
against mine and purring so loud that she can be heard from across the
room.

Nothing makes it easier to relax than a happy, loving kitty purring at you.

Old April 4th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

Ah, the Trill. Roxie manipulates this sound so adroitly that we refer to her
speech as Roxese, and after over 3 years we still haven't picked up on all
its intricacies.

"MrowrrrrEEEE!" I think is the trill of acknolwledgement because it sounds
like she's saying Roxie, and uses it to greet us, as Louie and I call out the
cats' names before saying hello and we love them.

"RRRRllll." This is Girl, another way we address her, because of all the cats
Roxie is the most girlie-girlish: posing like a model, strutting, getting
into my knitting and playing with my hair thingies as she goes about in her
Barbie-pink collar. "How's our Girl?" "Pretty, pretty Girl!"

She has a trill that sounds a little PO'd if she doesn't get her attention on
demand, or if we're making h*m and don't give her a piece (after meowing like
a mad diva, one of the few times she'll make real noise.) The stuff we don't
underst5and is when she gets multisyllabic: "Prrrreowrrrrrrlllllrrreeeek!" If
you can tell me what the heck that is, I owe you a medal.

Blessed be,
Baha

Old April 4th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Kreisleriana wrote:
On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 00:28:18 -0400, Takayuki
yodeled:
One type of purr is the purr of realization. The realization of being
loved. A cat produces this purr when it's been asleep, and you start
stroking it. It may be accompanied by acknowledging murping and
squirming.

I especially love that one. Stinky is the master of it. When I wake
up Dante, he's ready to play, and starts bopping at me immediately.

Does Stinky's body sort of inflate from an intake of breath just prior
to the murp?

Old April 4th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Baha via CatKB.com" u18616@uwe wrote:
[...]

Awww, they all have the cutest purrs! I also like the curled paws or
toes when they roll over.

Old April 4th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Daniel Mahoney wrote:
She is by far the smallest of our kitties, so when she comes down the
stairs it's always front paw-front paw-rear paw-rear paw down one step,
the again for the next step, etc. With each step she descends, she gives
me another "mrrrp!" chirp. When she finally gets to the bottom step she
stretches out as high as she can reach with her front paws on my leg and
gives me a long, wavering "mrrrrr-ow?" meow. That's her signal that she
wants to do a shoulder ride. I bend down so that she can put her front
paws on my shoulder, then put a hand under her butt and lift her as I
stand. She immediately wraps herself around my neck, rubbing her face
against mine and purring so loud that she can be heard from across the
room.

I'm sure she must have very much imprinted on you. I didn't know that
she was still so small. How cute.

Old April 4th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Takayuki wrote:

Does Stinky's body sort of inflate from an intake of breath just prior
to the murp?

LOL, that reminds me of my old cat Tika (RB 1997 - at age 21). In her later
years she was deaf, and would sleep soundly through all sorts of noise. And
if I were to go up to her, she wouldn't wake up until I touched her. At that
point she would raise her head and everything else would sort of expand, her
entire body would vibrate, and she would make a high trilling sound - all at
the same time. It was kind of like activating some sort of electrical device
or small motor.

Joyce
Old April 5th 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 16:33:21 -0400, Takayuki
yodeled:

Kreisleriana wrote:
On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 00:28:18 -0400, Takayuki
yodeled:
One type of purr is the purr of realization. The realization of being
loved. A cat produces this purr when it's been asleep, and you start
stroking it. It may be accompanied by acknowledging murping and
squirming.

I especially love that one. Stinky is the master of it. When I wake
up Dante, he's ready to play, and starts bopping at me immediately.

Does Stinky's body sort of inflate from an intake of breath just prior
to the murp?

Now that you mention it, yes, he does. It's a cute thing.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War