OT - Fireworks?

Old July 4th 11, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default OT - Fireworks?

hopitus wrote:

On Jul 2, 4:18 pm, wrote:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Lesley wrote:

In the end they almost wanted to come back and hire me as a tour
guide.... but after all the things I told them when I mentioned

the
Minnie Lansbury clock they asked "Is she related to Angela
Lansbury" (Sort of Minnie was her grandfathers first wife when

the
clock needed work done she put 5K or so into the fund) and shot

off
to take photos

....And then we wonder why American tourists have a bad reputation

in
Europe! At least, in the UK they are justified in expecting the

natives
to speak English. (One of the prime complaints against us in other
countries.)

I don't understand. What did she say that was objectionable? I mean,
she was on the right track, wasn't she? Minnie *did* have a

connection
with Angela, if not by blood, then by marriage, so how was this an
example of being an obnoxious tourist?
You are right; she did NOT say anything objectionable. What I believe
Lesley
was LOL pointing out was not a big deal of Merkin tourists being
"obnoxious"
but simply pointing out that as tourists out of USA , they have the
attention
span of a gnat when someone *they ask* on the street (a stranger, if
you will)
tries to inform them of the answer to their historical
question......they run off
to shoot photos of the local sights . Kinda airhead behavior but not
obnoxious,
just thoughtless.
Feel free to disagree with my interpretation.

OK, no problem. I don't disagree. I was just thrown off because first,
the story didn't sound very bad to me, and then Evelyn was talking about
people expecting people to speak English? What did that have to do with
anything?

Americans abroad! Unfortunately a great many American tourists address
French and German and Italian natives in English and expect them to reply.
Without taking the trouble to at least learn "Do you speak English?" in
their language (Along with "please", "thank you", "pardon me" and a few
other polite phrases - plus a few like "where is the lavatory"?)

That last one is easy. About 25 years ago my kids (who were adults) and I
visited six countries in Europe. We did know "please" and "thank you" in
several languages, but other than that, our non-English was what little we
remembered from high school Spanish (and we didn't visit Spain). However,
we learned early on that in any country we visited, all you had to do was
look slightly desperate and say, "Toilet?" (pronounced twa-LET) and we were
understood and directed to the nearest loo.

We're all voracious readers, so we had picked up a few phrases we didn't
realize we knew. Other things we finally figured out. For instance, in
Germany, every so often we'd see an arrow-shaped sign saying "Einbahn". We
had picked up a few of the "bahn" words, but that wasn't one of them. For a
few days we wondered what the einbahn was, but we never found it. Finally
we realized the sign meant "one way".

Joy

Joy

Old July 4th 11, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
john sumner[_12_]

Yowie wrote in news:iuqqu3$6m2$2@dont-
email.me:

Australian slang is full of rhyming slang, perhaps because Australian
slang is mostly a descendant of the working class dialects of the UK &
Ireland.

Yowie

also the aussies dont take themsleves too serioulyG
Old July 4th 11, 01:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_5_]

Ever since reading this thread I've been having the earworms "I Have a
Luv-er-ly Bunch of Coconuts" and "Get Me To The Church On Time". ;

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

"Lesley" wrote in message
On Jul 2, 11:01 am, hopitus wrote:
K". You and I would get along fine in RL. I
understand East Ender.

I had one laugh yesterday sort of...I'd stopped in the "Bells" and 2
American ladies came in first of all they weren't too happy as they
thought Bow Church was the one that you had to be born within hearing
of to be considered Cockney- it's actually St Mary Le Bow in the city
so I directed them then they started asking us all if were cockney
what did it mean to be cockney? Aaron said he was born in Bow but we
didn't all use rhythming slang and as I walked past for a laugh I said
"Aaron! Go up the Apples!" so the next thing I;ve got these 2 ladies
assuming I am an authetic cockney and no amount of explaning that I
was born in Romford worked then they said there's no history around
here...

I took them outside.... the "Bells" is about 200 feet from the first
act of violence by a suffragette just standing out there I can see
that and am near the site of a convent mentioned in Chaucer's
"Canterbury Tales"- the infamous red handed Gladstone statue is in
sight but the real story is on the other side of the road and the
memorial plaque is there. Cross the road and the turning on your left
is Fairfield Road where they used to have fair but it was stopped for
licentious behavour (possibly to the modern Mayfair) and about half
way down now relabelled "Bow Quarter" is the old Bryant and Mays'
match factory where the famous match girls strike took place ....I
could have shown them the meeting place of the first London Co-
Operative food store but it;s currently under scaffolding

In the end they almost wanted to come back and hire me as a tour
guide.... but after all the things I told them when I mentioned the
Minnie Lansbury clock they asked "Is she related to Angela
Lansbury" (Sort of Minnie was her grandfathers first wife when the
clock needed work done she put £5K or so into the fund) and shot off
to take photos

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furball

Old July 4th 11, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
Joy typed:
"Yowie" wrote in message
On 3/07/2011 10:04 AM, wrote:
hopitus wrote:

On Jul 2, 4:18 pm, wrote:

*snippity*

But when people confuse American *policy* with American *people*,
and start critisizing or making fun of us as individuals, I really
bristle at that. How is that different from any other prejudice? We
aren't all alike, any more than members of any ethnic or national
or racial group are all alike.

You are right, Joyce, blaming individuals for the actions that their
country undertook is a form of racism, although its darn hard not to,
sometimes.

The USA is a democratic country. The people who make the decisions
about what *America* does was elected by *Americans*. Therefore, the
actions of America cannot be entirely decoupled from 'the will of
the people' (even if you personally disagree with those actions).

I'd love to chat with you some time about it all, but not in a public
forum. Its too sensitive a subject, and we'd be relying a lot on the
fact that we're friends and wouldn't say things with the intent to
hurt or to troll. This sort of stuff could easily be taken *way* out
of context. Feel free to e-mail me, though.

Yowie

Theoretically you're right about the actions of the government
reflecting 'the will of the people'. However, politicians often
promise one thing to get elected, then do another. Also, lately,
elected 'representatives' of both our major parties seem much more
interested in defeating anything the other party proposes than they
are in serving the people they were elected to serve.

Its not a problem that is unique to the USA :-) Whilst I do actually know
some politicians are truly trying to do the best for the people they
represent, the 'major players' seem to be most interested in either staying
in, or getting in, to power, and therefore will say or do things that they
believe will get them there. I really get annoyed at oppositiion simply for
the sake of opposing - and it takes a brave person to go against the "party
line" and stand for what their electorate believes.

I have great admiration for politicians who stick to their guns, knowing
that by doing so, they'll lose their seat in the next election. I think that
seperates genuine people who are trying to make a difference for their
country/state/shire and career politicians.

In this computerised age, I wonder whether the whole idea of
*representative* democracy isn't outdated, and we should go with *direct*
democracy - with all citizens allowed to have 1 vote per tabled item. That
could prove... interesting. It certianly would eleminate the oddity that the
majority of people voted for political party X, but due to the way in which
the country is divided into electorates, party Y got to form government!

I do agree that political arguments can get out of hand. My first,
and once favourite, newsgroup was ruined by just that.

Certainly don't want to do that here. RPCA is the last active NG I have. All
other NGs I used to read have either been abandoned to the spam, trolls and
ranters or simply now archives of what was once a thriving and active
community. That Usenet is beign carried by less and less ISPs really
suggests that Usenet on the whole will become something akin to steam
trains - enthusiasts will continue to enjoy the hobby of 'Usenet' and keep a
small but significant part maintained, but it certainly won't be the
dominating technology ever again. At the moment, that is Facebook, IMHO, and
I know a lot of you are already there (as well as here) but Facebook will go
the way of Myspace and whatever there was before that... and it will be left
to amateur enthusiasts to keep its remnants alive.

Yowie
(ah, thread drift, thats something you don't get on Facebook!)

Old July 4th 11, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
hopitus typed:
On Jul 3, 4:33 pm, Yowie wrote:
On 4/07/2011 1:03 AM, CatNipped wrote:

wrote in message
On 3/07/2011 8:47 AM, CatNipped wrote:
I can't imagine what it must be like to live in a place of such
history - any longer than a couple of centuries' worth.

You, like I, live in a country with many thousands of years of
human history. Its just not Western history.

Yowie

Got me there! ; And it's more an oral history than a written one.
And seeing that I'm part native American I shouldn't have made that
gaff to being with!shame faced

You are a smart chickadee - how about finding out more about that NA
part of yourself?

Yowie

I can see that neither Lori nor Evelyn have clubbed in any raves
lately. There
are some up-to-the-minute stuff you just can't google up the right
answer to, LOL.
Did you get rid of your lurge, Yowie?

Mostly gone. Still have a nose that gets blocked a lot and my right ear
still doesn't feel right. But I no longer feel like the walking dead -
thanks for asking.

As for clubbing in raves... no thanks. Much prefer going out to see live
bands these days, especially since many bands of my 'youf' have reached the
commerically advantageous conclusion that there are a whole heap of 'old
geezers' like me who are quite prepared to pay to go relive their 'youf'
again, regardless of whether said band would be viable in today's music
industry or not. Ok, so the dreamboats of mine from 'the day' have lost
their hair and developed a paunch. And they can't hit the really high notes
they once used to. And they have gold bands on their left ring finger and
just want to go back their hotel room to sleep rather than 'indulge' the
gropies[1], but I don't care. I'm finally seeing the live bands that I was
either too young or too poor (or both) to see when I was younger, and am
loving every moment of it.

I am also going to a "Grease Sing-A-Long", where the crowd dresses up in
50's gear, they play Grease the movie, and we sing to all the songs. I
reckon its going to be an *awesome* night of fun. And how can anyone of my
age *not* know hte words from Grease????

Yowie
[1] That was a typo for 'groupies' but thought it was a perfect freudian
slip so left it :-)

Old July 4th 11, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"john sumner" wrote in message
0...
Yowie wrote in news:iuqqu3$6m2$2@dont-
email.me:

Australian slang is full of rhyming slang, perhaps because Australian
slang is mostly a descendant of the working class dialects of the UK &
Ireland.

Yowie

also the aussies dont take themsleves too serioulyG

Right. That's one of the things I love about them.

Joy

Old July 4th 11, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On 2011-07-03, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

... "Roman Candles" are hand
held, and shoot out colored balls of flame.

Beware the dreaded roman candle backfire that burns a hole in your new
bluejeans and raises the rath of Mother.

Bud
Old July 4th 11, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Jack Campin wrote:

From the description on that plaque, the buildings you're looking
at behind the tourists in that picture, including Bobby's Bar, are
exactly on the spot where the prisoners were held. I wonder if
people pose for their pictures like that in front of Auschwitz?

Given the crass and tasteless nature of much of the human race, these
days, I wouldn't be a bit surprised! (Especially when you consider that
there are some who claim the Holocaust never happened.)
Old July 4th 11, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_5_]

"Yowie" wrote in message

Yowie
(ah, thread drift, thats something you don't get on Facebook!)

And it can be *SO* interesting. I just can't get "into" Facebook. It's
just too "public" for "private" conversation. And yes, I know that Usenet
is too, but there is at least the illusion of privacy and genuine friendship
here - I've "known" so many people here for so many years that I feel I know
them better than some people I know in RL.

Old July 4th 11, 02:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_5_]

"Yowie" wrote in message

gropies[1],

Yowie
[1] That was a typo for 'groupies' but thought it was a perfect freudian
slip so left it :-)

Classic!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

How fireworks saved my cat ... Cosmotcat Cat anecdotes 11 April 13th 08 10:20 PM
Fireworks!! Yay!!! Jack Campin - bogus address Cat anecdotes 2 November 7th 07 03:18 PM
OT - Make your own fireworks Rhonda Cat anecdotes 2 July 5th 06 06:41 AM
B & C and Fireworks Bev Cat anecdotes 10 November 6th 04 11:27 AM
Fireworks Mr Nangla Cat health & behaviour 4 November 4th 03 03:29 AM