Itsy bitsy kitty litter box in carrier?

Old July 2nd 03, 01:22 AM
Sara

Default Itsy bitsy kitty litter box in carrier?

I'm trying to acclimate my two cats to carriers in preparation for a
trip that will take 7-8 hours, sometime this autumn. The girls have
separate carriers. The smaller kitty will be in the intermediate size
Kennel Cab and the bigger one will be in a large carrier of the same
brand.

Since I will be traveling alone in a compact car with the kitties, I
don't think it would be a good idea to let them out of the carriers at
rest stops to use a litter box on the car floor. So I am trying to
come up with ways to handle the elimination problem.

One way could be to use small shoe-box size plastic containers as
litter pans inside the carriers. These boxes are about 10" long and
6" wide, small enough that the cats would still have room to lie down
in the carriers. But I'm wondering if they would actually use them.
The cats might have to be contortionists to get themselves in
position! If anyone has put a litter box in a carrier, please share
your experiences.

Another way would be to use disposable litter boxes inside the
carriers. But the ones I've seen would take up about a third of the
floor space in the carriers, not leaving a lot of room for the kitties
to stretch out and be comfortable.

Or I could line each carrier with incontinence pads or disposable
diapers. I'd like to hear your thoughts on that, too.

BTW the younger & smaller one, 9 year old Freckles, is acclimating
quite well. I had her out in the car for a half hour this evening,
and she just sat in her carrier without a peep. I wouldn't go so far
as to say she enjoyed the ride, but she accepted it.

Her adopted sister, 11 year old Muffin, will be a different story. I
just got her last year and she is terrified of being put into the
carrier, and of cars. Her carrier has been sitting out for a few
months so she is used to seeing it and being near it, but she won't go
in, even with a nice soft blankie in there. Thanks to this NG I have
just found out about Feliway, so maybe that will help.

Thanks for any and all thoughts on this subject!
Old July 2nd 03, 03:08 AM
MaryL

"Sara" wrote in message
I'm trying to acclimate my two cats to carriers in preparation for a
trip that will take 7-8 hours, sometime this autumn. The girls have
separate carriers. The smaller kitty will be in the intermediate size
Kennel Cab and the bigger one will be in a large carrier of the same
brand.

Since I will be traveling alone in a compact car with the kitties, I
don't think it would be a good idea to let them out of the carriers at
rest stops to use a litter box on the car floor. So I am trying to
come up with ways to handle the elimination problem.

Thanks for any and all thoughts on this subject!

I travel with a litter box on the floor behind the driver's seat. I have
never had any trouble temporarily letting cats out of the carrier (with
doors closed and locked!), but I have also found that the cats never use the
litter box until I reach a motel for the night. I used to worry about it,
but it doesn't seem to bother them at all -- and, as I said, they don't take
advantage of the litter box when given an opportunity. The only time I have
had a cat actually use the litter box in the car was with one cat that was
quite elderly and needed the box more frequently. I really think this would
be easier than trying to place litter in the carrier unless you think your
cats will be so frightened that you can't get them back into the carriers.
It might be a good idea to take the two of them on a couple of practice runs
and stop someplace where you could remove from the carriers and see if you
can get them back into the carriers while still in the car.

Good luck!

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of Duffy's integration into our
household):
Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56

Old July 2nd 03, 03:55 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Sandra Loosemore" wrote in message

BTW, I wouldn't want to be shut up in a compact car for 7-8 hours with
a "used" litter box anyway. Phew. :-P And if it was in the crate
with the cat, how would you clean it without letting the cat out?

Make sure the car's AC/air/fan was set in "fresh air intake' instead of
"recirc"! ;-)

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old July 2nd 03, 03:48 PM
Yngver

Thanks for any and all thoughts on this subject!

In my experience, they won't use the litter box while travelling anyway, so
it's probably not worth the bother. We've frequently taken 7-8 hour car trips
and the cats have never shown any interest in using the litter box. We have a
station wagon so we have the litter box in the back, and on stops we used to
give them the chance to use it, but they never did. Just make sure when you get
where you're going, you set up a litter box right away because they are going
to want to use it then.

Old July 2nd 03, 04:06 PM
Angela

They do sell small "corner" boxes in the small pets section of the pet stores.
http://www.petsmart.com/products/product_8543.shtml You could try that..These
would be better than a rectangle box.

Angela (Aol.com doesn't hop!)

A HREF="http://www.rabbitadoption.org" Rabbit & Small Animal Adoptions/A
HREF Rabbits & small animals for adoption--worldwide links, including vet
referrals & other rescues, care tips, mail order products, etc.

My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM
The kitty litter factory Dan M Cat anecdotes 54 June 18th 04 06:18 AM