looking for a new litter

Old July 9th 03, 08:23 PM
Elizabeth Blake

Default looking for a new litter

Hi,

I've been using World's Best Catter Litter for several years. The litter
works great, but I've finally become fed up with the tracking & the dust. I
have two cats, one male and one female. I have a one bedroom apartment, and
every room has litter in it. The jump out of the box and decide to go on my
bed - litter. The couch - covered in litter. My male cat, Otto, is all
black and when he gets out of the box he's wearing four tan boots. Then he
walks across the couch and leaves a trail of dusty prints behind.

My female cat, Tiger, will only urinate once a day. When she does go at
night, she releases quite a bit of fluid. She also sits her butt directly
on the litter and her whole rear end gets soaked and the WBCL clumps all
over her fur and it's a pain to get off sometimes.

So, I'm looking for a new litter that:

1. my cat's won't track all over the place!
2. does not need to be clumping, although that is a plus
3. does not need to be flushable
4. is not made from recycled newspaper (tried that, they hated it)
5. is not made from wood (they didn't like some pine litter)

My sister got a cat last year and I think she mixes regular clay
(non-clumping) litter in with some crystal litter. I think I've seen a
commercial for a litter that comes that way, has anyone tried it? My cat
Tiger used plain clay, non-clumping litter for the first 8 years of her life
and never minded it.

Liz

Old July 9th 03, 08:30 PM
Cathy Friedmann

I find little dust w/ the WBCL, but am now (wondering if the newer formula
is the culprit?) also experiencing a LOT of tracking, & the basically the
same problem w. my cats - at least one cat, at any rate - post-litter box
use: sitting right down on the litter while peeing, then sitting other
places in the house & leaving tell-tale marks; *constant* clean-up on my
part.

I've tried the crystal litter. It works really well, but... do not buy
Litter Pearls brand or any of the other round or oval shaped crystal litters
because they *roll*, & I mean roll, all _over_ the place. It's worse than
cleaning up after tracked litter! One of my cats overturns the litter box
every now & again while jumping out; he overturned a box of Litter Pearls
once - what a MESS!

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old July 9th 03, 10:11 PM
Bill

[...]

I've used Scoop Away and haven't noticed tracking.

Recently I switched to a new litter called (I believe) Swheat Scoop, which
is a wheat-based clumping litter. It seems to absorb litter box odors about
as well as the Scoop Away, but without the perfume-ie smell. I haven't
noticed any tracking with this litter either.

Both litters seem to produce less dust than others I've used.

Bill

Old July 9th 03, 10:24 PM
MaryL

[...]

I like Better Way. It can be hard to locate, but it is a very fine, soft
clumping litter -- and I find almost no tracking.

MaryL

Old July 9th 03, 11:21 PM
Mygrayne

I just switched from World's Best Litter (which I've used for 2 years) to
Arm & Hammer Super Scoop. I put down a new litter box with the new litter in
it so I could start switching them over gradually, but my 3 cats all ignored
the boxes with World's Best in them, and used the one box with Arm & Hammer
right away! It does have a strong piney smell to it, but it's very
fine-grained and dense so there's hardly any tracking. And it clumps great.
I wish it was flushable, but other than that it's great. No more dust and
litter tracked all over the place.

Mygrayne