Cat does not always use litter box, he goes on the carpt.

Old March 15th 04, 10:03 PM
Brian

Default Cat does not always use litter box, he goes on the carpt.

Cat does not always use litter box, he goes on the carpt.

I have been trying to fix a cat urination problem for quite a long
time. I'd like to replace the carpet in my living room, but I don't
want the cat to urinate on it. So, I'd like to fix the cat problem
first.

He is a 5 year old male cat. He is fixed and never sprays like some
people talk about.

I have two litter boxes for my cat, one is in the bathroom and the
other is next the dryer off of the kitchen. I empty them every few
days. He uses these litter boxes on a regular basis. However, he also
may go on the carpet or even at times defecate on it. And once he does
he tends to visit that spot more frequently until I treat it with an
enzyme product. There are two particular areas in the living room that
he likes to do this on, but these areas are not exclusive. He always
goes next the wall, never in the middle of the living room. He also
seems to prefer places that are behind pieces of furniture or in a
corner. This always happens down stairs, never upstairs. I've treated
these areas with several types of enzyme products (in particular:
Enzyme D by Big D Industries). It helps for a while, perhaps because
these spots are wet and don't smell good, but it happens again and I
start the process over again.

Also, recently I have removed the carpet and padding from one
particular problem area. I threw the padding away and I soaked the
carpet and sub floor with an enzyme product. Then I painted the sub
floor with an odor sealer called ‘Kills'. However, I caught him in the
act at this location the other day.

What can I do to train him to always use the litter box?
Any good books?
Any good web sites?

Please respond to this newsgroup.
Thanks,
Brian
Old March 15th 04, 10:56 PM
Karen

First you must see your vet to rule out physical problems. Once you have
done that try adding additional cat boxes and get some Feliway (available at
pet stores). Most likely this is some kind of recurring infection, cystitis
or other problem that has also become habit. Keep the boxes really, really
clean. Scoop often.

Karen

om...

Old March 16th 04, 02:16 AM
Crdamz

I heartily agree about the possible health issue. Most often, especially if
the cat has been well behaved previously, a urinary infection can cause this
change in behavior. Males, too, have a particular problem if they develop
stones in the urinary bladder---very painful!
You see, the cat associates the pain it feels when trying to void with the
BOX ITSELF, that's why the change in behavior.
I know it sounds like alot to do, but after the vet visit (whether an
infection is found or not) try buying a new litter box (diff color, maybe?) and
maybe a new location to help him get over that 'pain association' thing he
might be dealing with. Certainly, talk to your vet about the problem, whether
you take the cat to be seen or not, mine is a great fount of experience and
information!
I have 2 females and only one litter box, but they are both very good about
using it, and there has NEVER been any confusion about where we do our
business. I HAVE caught both of them, however, digging at a particular "sweet
spot" on the rug. I don't know what the last tenant spilled there, but it
drives them crazy.
Is it possible your cat was first enticed to these spots by smelling
something there, too? You could have brought in something on a shoe or
something.
I know I've gone on a bit, but I hope something I've said helps. And, I
really hope you are able to cure him of whatever the problem is, so you can
keep him AND get new carpet to enjoy. You do seem like a concerned pet owner
and it would be a shame if you had to give him up!
Take care,
-Cindy
Old March 16th 04, 04:02 AM

What can I do to train him to always use
the litter box?

You said you empty the box every few days. That is likely the reason
your cat will not use it and pees elsewhere. Would you step barefoot
into a 15" x 20" that had 3 or 4 days worth of urine and feces in it? Of
course not and you shouldn't expect your cat to either.You should use a
clumping litter and scoop the box twice a day, removing all urine and
feces and wash the box and change the litter completely every few weeks
*before* the litter starts to smell. Cats are fastidious creatures and
do NOT like a dirty litterbox. Yours appears to be extra picky and you
need to make sure your cat has an extra clean box. Scooping twice a day
is simple to add to your daily routine and will require no more than one
or two minutes of effort each day.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old March 16th 04, 06:51 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:02:03 -0600 (CST), wrote:

What can I do to train him to always use
the litter box?

I agree with the other posters, the first step should be to eliminate
any possible medical reason by visiting the vet. Unfortuantely, cats
are somewhat prone to urinary problems, at least in my own unschooled
opinion.

I think it may be because they evolved as true predators, much more so
than dogs, and their bodies expect to get a lot of their needed
moisture from food. Along comes the invention of dry food, which makes
it more convenient for people, but leaves many cats dehydrated on a
semi-permanent basis.

You said you empty the box every few days. That is likely the reason
your cat will not use it and pees elsewhere.

I must have skimmed through that OP and missed this part. I've read
that it's best to have one more box than the number of cats. But I
don't know how true that is. I don't meet that standard, with three
cats in my small apartment, I'd have a box in every room. I don't
really know how often I scoop the boxes. It's just habit for me to
scoop them when I see they've been used, and then before turning in
for the night I sweep up any litter which has spilled out of the box.

One of my three insists on a clean box. If she goes to a box and finds
it dirty, she goes to the other one. If both fail to meet her
standards, she finds me and complains, rather loudly.

It could be that the OP has a fussy cat that simply refuses to use a
dirty box. Maybe it would help to get a second box, and clean both
more often.

Also, if I remember the OP correctly, there seems to be one area of
the carpet where most of the offenses occur. I'd try putting that new
box in that area. And as the cat gets used to using it, gradually move
it to an inconspicuous spot in that room, if possible.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: