Moving to DSL

Old August 26th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barb

Default Moving to DSL

Am switching to DSL and hope I can stay in this newsgroup. Verizon says it
has "some" newsgroups but I did pick this group out of over 1,000.

I've loved being in this group.

Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

Old August 26th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
crickeh-re-hawd

Barb wrote:
Am switching to DSL and hope I can stay in this newsgroup. Verizon says it
has "some" newsgroups but I did pick this group out of over 1,000.

I've loved being in this group.

i've been on verizon dsl, they do carry this group in their repretoire
seeing that this group is a true usenet group and not a google group

i think verizon news server is

news.verizon.net

and you would of course use your same username and password with their
news servers.

when I first got adelphia, it was fast when it was working, but
adelphia (cable) was a choppy experience. frustrating

i switched to verizon dsl.. it never went out.. and was extremely fast

adelphia sent me an offer I couldnt refuse, i switched back to adelphia
now Adelphia is always on.

however! I really like verizon too

verizon is laying fiber optics in my area soon, "internet at the speed
of light"

at that time, I will be able to transport myself to and fro and up and
down in the earth
wweeeeeeeeeeee

Old August 27th 06, 12:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barb

Thanks for the info. Well, hooking up is not as easy as I thought. I
didn't have an "Ethernet". Verizon on-line tech support is useless. They
sent me to Radio Shack where I was sold an incorrect part. I returned it
and went to Best Buys where was sold the correct part but when I got it home
I realized it was for the wrong computer. Returned it and got the correct
item. It's actually a card which has to be installed inside my computer. I
don't go inside computers but have the Geek Squad lined up.
They call today or tomorrow and make an appointment.

I'm glad to learn I can continue in this newsgroup.
--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old August 27th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
crickeh-re-hawd

Barb wrote:
but have the Geek Squad lined up.
They call today or tomorrow and make an appointment.

I'm glad to learn I can continue in this newsgroup.

mhmmm, these techies aint so techie sometimes, their biggest problem
is, they don't listen. grrrrrr

maybe you can use usb instead of ethernet

you probably have a vacant usb port on your pc Barb

maybe you could connect dsl modem to pc with usb cable
then run the verizon cd

could very well light you right up!

"of course she looks busy! she's on the phone with verizon tech support"

Old August 27th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Barb" wrote in message
erio.net...
Thanks for the info. Well, hooking up is not as easy as I thought. I
didn't have an "Ethernet". Verizon on-line tech support is useless.

Can't you do cable Internet? When I moved to cable, Time Warner
did everything for me. The guy came to the house and installed everything
at no charge. AND you can call them any time and you get excellent help,
even if it is just that your connection is slow, they get right on it and
there
is a guy at your house or outside climbing a pole and taking care of
business! At $40 a month it was not only CHEAPER than paying for
a phone line ($27) and a dialup account ($20) plus ten times faster.
I went for DSL first and they just jerked me around for months before
finally telling me I was too far away from the source to even have it.
And I am in Raleigh, NC.

If you can, ditch DSL and get cable, you will love it if your local company
is as good as mine!

Old August 27th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article .net,
says...
Thanks for the info. Well, hooking up is not as easy as I thought. I
didn't have an "Ethernet". Verizon on-line tech support is useless. They
sent me to Radio Shack where I was sold an incorrect part. I returned it
and went to Best Buys where was sold the correct part but when I got it home
I realized it was for the wrong computer. Returned it and got the correct
item. It's actually a card which has to be installed inside my computer. I
don't go inside computers but have the Geek Squad lined up.
They call today or tomorrow and make an appointment.

I'm glad to learn I can continue in this newsgroup.
--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

Barb, if I can give a bit of advice don't let Geek Squad near your
computer. Makes no sense to pay over $100 to install a $15 part.

Here are just a few links with text, pictures and helpful drawings:

http://tech.yahoo.com/gd/installing-...dapters/153481

http://www.inf.aber.ac.uk/stunet/FAQ/Install_NIC.asp

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/its/resn...ktopcard.shtml

If you're running Windows XP it should automatically install the correct
driver for the card, if not the cards usually come with an install CD
that you can insert and run.

I see the difficult level on some of these pages listed as 4 out of 5.
As an old pro, I'd consider is a .4 out of 5.

The only truly hazardous area inside the computer is the power supply
but that's well protected.

And if you're really daring, check out http://www.instructables.com/

I've always thought there should be more food projects on instructables.
Many geeks I meet can't cook to save their lives but a step by step
pictorial on a geek specific site might be good for them.

Old August 27th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
crickeh-re-hawd

T wrote:

For the longest time USB has been problematic when it comes to network
connections. Nothing beats a Cat 5 100-Base-T network connection over
that familiar blue, yellow, white or other colored cable.

true, but then again, it really could be as simple as plugging it in
and popping the cd in.

mine did very well.. with no problems, no flickers, no drops, etc...
but another time in a previous life.. I had massive problems with dsl
and usb
(that was prior to the new 2.0? usb driver)