One cat put down and the one left behind is suffering

Old September 7th 09, 03:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
June[_2_]

Default One cat put down and the one left behind is suffering

I always thought cats had short memories about other cats; sort of nature's
way of handling life for them. I had to have one of my cats put down to
stop the suffering. I still have another cat inside who is missing the
first cat. It's only been a week but it he knows things aren't right. They
weren't real close but would play together once in a while. Harry and
Tigger were both 8 years old but Tigger had to be put down unexpectedly last
week on a Sunday morning. It was hard for me but I knew I did what had to
be done. Today a week later, Harry isn't using his cat box (he goes, just
not in the cat box) and howls at night. Today I found him under the sofa
where Tigger hid when he was in pain. I'm a life long owner of cats but
I've never had one that is so lost. Decades ago I had two Siamese litter
mates and had to have one put down after several years and the one left
behind adjusted quickly. I've petted Harry and talked to him but the night
seems the worst. Any advice?

Old September 8th 09, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 10:12:40 -0400, "June" wrote:

[...]

I once took one cat to the vet to view (sniff) the body of his dead
companion. I didn't want him to wonder where he had gone. I don't know
if it did any good but I think it did.

And when Espy went to the vet for a few days recently, Marlo pretty
much ignored his absence but Nipsy clearly was upset. It does seem to
vary with the cat.

Hey, I have a good idea! How about getting Harry another playmate? Not
a youngster I'm thinking - maybe a nice three or four year old? They
appreciate a good home and aren't so hyper that they would drive Harry
crazy.
Old September 8th 09, 03:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
June[_2_]

"dgk" wrote in message

I once took one cat to the vet to view (sniff) the body of his dead
companion. I didn't want him to wonder where he had gone. I don't know
if it did any good but I think it did.

And when Espy went to the vet for a few days recently, Marlo pretty
much ignored his absence but Nipsy clearly was upset. It does seem to
vary with the cat.

Hey, I have a good idea! How about getting Harry another playmate? Not
a youngster I'm thinking - maybe a nice three or four year old? They
appreciate a good home and aren't so hyper that they would drive Harry
crazy.

Actually I have checked the humane society online about getting an older
cat. I have 3 outdoor cats that are older but they started as a stray and
feral cats. (all have been neutered BTW). But my husband and I are retired
and like to travel so I'm thinking after the trip to Australia this winter,
I might see about another cat. Harry is starting to get a little better.
No howling last night. I made sure I petted him and talked to him before
bed. Thanks for the reply.....June

Old September 8th 09, 06:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Granby

For a year after my husband went to the bridge, Piglett would cry off and
on. She recogenized the name Bob. About a year after he died, I had moved
and unpacked a box with some keepsakes in it to put on the shelf. Poor Pig,
she would rub around them and cried all over again. I got the two other
cats now so she doesn't do it. But, when she is sick, she tends to want my
son to be around her more than me. Cats have long memories, IMHO.

Old September 9th 09, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S

Yes, animals grieve and it's quite possible the Harry is missing his
companion. IMO, I would take him to the vet to rule out anything
medical. Going outside the box can be a sign of a urinary tract
problem.

Old September 19th 09, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
rich

June wrote:
[...]

Attention, affection. I've seen this. Some cats mourn severely. Unclear
why some do and some don't.

Rich