Is De-clawing a US thing?

Old December 3rd 03, 06:08 PM
Alison

"Wendy" wrote in message
The biggest difference between here (US) and the UK, at least, is in

the UK
cats are permitted to roam freely. In the US there is increasing

pressure to
keep cats indoors exclusively. (To make it clear I do not declaw my

cats.)
Vets, adoption organizations and Municipalities put pressure on

people to
keep the cats indoors. Cats will be cats, they will scratch

somewhere. Cats
don't instinctively take to the scratching post like they do a

litter box. I
can understand how an owner faced with a cat that is ripping apart

their
home and not having the information they need might turn to

declawing as a
solution to the problem.

Hi Wendy ,
I don't see what the connection is between declawing and whether your
cat goes in or out . It's sounds more like an excuse to me. Surely
declawing has been around for many years before the big drive to keep
cats inside .
Some people do keep their cats inside in the UK , although they are
in the minority and some outdoor cats will scratch inside. The more
cats you have the more likely they will scratch inside.
Alison

Old December 3rd 03, 07:35 PM

"Alison" wrote:

Hi Wendy ,
I don't see what the connection is between declawing and whether your
cat goes in or out . It's sounds more like an excuse to me. Surely
declawing has been around for many years before the big drive to keep
cats inside .
Some people do keep their cats inside in the UK , although they are
in the minority and some outdoor cats will scratch inside. The more
cats you have the more likely they will scratch inside.
Alison

An outdoor cat that is declawed is defenseless and unable to climb and
escape its attackers. Anyone who has a declawed cat must never let it
roam free outside.

-mhd

Old December 3rd 03, 08:00 PM
Wendy

"Alison" wrote in message

"Wendy" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not defending the practice only trying to understand it.

Try living with "fluffy the couch destroyer" for a year not letting him go
outside at all and we'll talk again.

Old December 3rd 03, 08:37 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
I don't see what the connection is between declawing and whether your
cat goes in or out . It's sounds more like an excuse to me.

I think it's more that cats who go out tend to scratch outside, so the
issue of the cat being destructive doesn't really come up. I could be
completely off base there, though, as I've never had an outdoor cat,
living near urban areas and all.

IMO, any "reason" for declawing can be considered an excuse if all the
proper information is given to the owners.

Surely
declawing has been around for many years before the big drive to keep
cats inside .

I'm sure, and I know that when I was growing up (before the whole 'keep
your cats in' thing), the vets recommended declawing indoor cats as a
matter of course. It was just what we did. No one ever told us what the
procedure actually was. Everyone just did it. The vets did, however,
recommend against declawed cats going out. It was like, if the cat goes
out, claws stay, if it stays in, claws go.
I realize this is quite possibly a regional experience, so for the
record and for the non-US folks, I live near Chicago, a large
metropolitan city in Illinois, U.S. where most people who love their
pets keep them close by, since cars, dogs, poisons, and other dangers
kill many, many pets (and strays) every year. The vast majority of
people keep their cats inside.
Sadly enough, the vets around here still ask if you want your cat
declawed when you sign up for desexing.

Some people do keep their cats inside in the UK , although they are
in the minority and some outdoor cats will scratch inside. The more
cats you have the more likely they will scratch inside.

IME, I have an easier time training new cats to scratch appropriately
because they follow the examples of the resident cats.
I have only 3 though, so maybe this is true for rescuers and such with
10+ cats...

~kaeli~
A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old December 3rd 03, 08:37 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Old December 4th 03, 07:11 AM
Phil P.

"Jeannie" wrote in message
I was just wondering but is de-clawing cats particular to the US? I live

in
the UK and until I subscribed to this newsgroup, I didn't even know that

you
COULD have your cat de-clawed! Needless to say, I am totally against the
idea but I have never heard of anyone here who has ever come across a
de-clawed cat.

Jeannie

How about sending over some of Lord Denning's DNA? We desperately need a
few of his clones in our congress to teach our congressmen the meaning of
the "spirit of the law"....

Declawing technically violates the animal cruelty statutes of almost every
state in the US.....

Phil

Old December 4th 03, 08:04 PM
Adam Helberg

"Jeannie" wrote in message
I was just wondering but is de-clawing cats particular to the US? I live in
the UK and until I subscribed to this newsgroup, I didn't even know that you
COULD have your cat de-clawed! Needless to say, I am totally against the
idea but I have never heard of anyone here who has ever come across a
de-clawed cat.

Jeannie

It's illegal in parts of Los Angeles.

Adam