Laxatone

Old June 3rd 10, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

Default Laxatone

Emily had a messy case of hairballs the past few weeks. After trying other
things I finally gave her three one-teaspoon daily doses of Laxatone which
seems to have cleared it up. The package says to follow up with two or
three 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. doses every week. This seems like a lot of laxative!
Anyone do this?

Ken

Old June 3rd 10, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Ken asked:

The package says to follow up with two
or three 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. doses every
week. This seems like a lot of laxative!
Anyone do this?

I wouldn't do it. The Laxatone could interfere with nutrients being
absorbed. Instead, why don't you grow some oat grass for Emily to
nibble on.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old June 3rd 10, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

On Jun 3, 12:17*pm, KenK wrote:
Emily had a messy case of hairballs the past few weeks. After trying other
things I finally gave her three one-teaspoon daily doses of Laxatone which
seems to have cleared it up. The package says to follow up with two or
three 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. doses every week. This seems like a lot of laxative!
Anyone do this?

If one of our cats has a hairball, I will give the remedy two
consecutive days, then see what "output" I find. Usually that's enough
to solve the problem.

Unfortunately, 'tis the season for hairballs with shedding season in
full force.
Old June 4th 10, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

Rene wrote in
:

!
Anyone do this?

If one of our cats has a hairball, I will give the remedy two
consecutive days, then see what "output" I find. Usually that's enough
to solve the problem.

Unfortunately, 'tis the season for hairballs with shedding season in
full force.

The hairballs returned last night - twice. I gave her another 1/2 tsp of
Laxatone last night, and will give her another this evening, then wait and
see. I gave her a teaspoon of pumpkin Wednesday, and fiber for several days
earlier in the week that evidently didn't help prevent a reoccurance. Daily
grooming all her life isn't helping either. Laxatone is the only thing I
have tried that helps - so far. I'm researching adding a bit of oil to her
food.

Strange - previously she's only had hairballs once a year or so - but then
I had her on canned and dry food until early last year, now only Wellness
canned. Her hairballs started when I switched her to Wellness. Seems she's
getting everything bad this past year - diarrhea, dental problems, now
hairballs. I fix one thing and that causes another problem. sigh

Ken

Old June 4th 10, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

Strange - previously she's only had hairballs once a year or so - but then
I had her on canned and dry food until early last year, now only Wellness
canned. Her hairballs started when I switched her to Wellness. Seems she's
getting everything bad this past year - diarrhea, dental problems, now
hairballs. I fix one thing and that causes another problem. sigh

I've had the opposite experience with Wellness. Ours rarely have
hairballs since I've had them on Wellness and some Evo.

Try and space the Laxatone doses and feeding, since it prevents some
nutrient absorbtion.

Have you thought about giving her a little butter a couple of times
per week instead of oil?
Old June 5th 10, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

Rene wrote in
:

Strange - previously she's only had hairballs once a year or so - but
then I had her on canned and dry food until early last year, now only
Wellness canned. Her hairballs started when I switched her to
Wellness. Seems she's getting everything bad this past year -
diarrhea, dental problems, now hairballs. I fix one thing and that
causes another problem. sigh

I've had the opposite experience with Wellness. Ours rarely have
hairballs since I've had them on Wellness and some Evo.

Try and space the Laxatone doses and feeding, since it prevents some
nutrient absorbtion.

I do that.

Have you thought about giving her a little butter a couple of times
per week instead of oil?

Well, I gave her a 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. Laxatone yesterday evening, a second
small dose. I also started putting 1/4 tsp. olive oil in each of her
three meals, which she doesn't seem to mind. No vomitimg last might. I'll
stop the Laxatone for now and continue the oil. I'm keeping my fingers
crossed. From what I found with Google it seems some cats' hairball
problems respond well to this. If the olive oil works for a few weeks
I'll think about butter. But AFAIK olive oil is healthy. At least it is
for people. Maybe cut the olive oil to once or twice a day. I'll see.

Poor Emily!

Old June 5th 10, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc[_2_]

Suddenly, without warning, KenK exclaimed (6/5/2010 10:05 AM):
Rene wrote in
:

[...]

I might try the olive oil for Meep. I have a salmon oil spritz I got in
one of those expensive pet specialty stores (not the big ones, local
place). I've been mixing her laculose with it, but about out of
lactulose and I think the vet said it's hard to get these days.

Olive oil isn't - it's the only cooking oil we use, so it's not like
I'll ever run out.. and it'll stretch that expensive salmon oil a good
bit more.

The salmon oil thing was to try to tempt her to eat more. Seems to help.

jmc
Old June 6th 10, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

jmc wrote in
:

[...]

I'm not too sure the olive oil will tempt her. Emily eats it, but I get the
impression she is just tolerating it, not because she particularly likes
it. Fortunately, she will eat many things. However, Meep's preferences may
well be different. Good luck!

BTW, FWIW I also use olive oil for cooking.

Old June 6th 10, 03:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"KenK" wrote
jmc wrote

Well, I gave her a 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. Laxatone yesterday evening, a
second small dose. I also started putting 1/4 tsp. olive oil in each
of her three meals, which she doesn't seem to mind. No vomitimg last
might. I'll stop the Laxatone for now and continue the oil. I'm
keeping my fingers crossed. From what I found with Google it seems
some cats' hairball problems respond well to this. If the olive oil
works for a few weeks I'll think about butter. But AFAIK olive oil is
healthy. At least it is for people. Maybe cut the olive oil to once
or twice a day. I'll see.

BTW, thats probably at least partly from me (grin). I started adding
various fats to my cat's diets to improve coat issues and found out it helps
alot with furballs as well. At least, that has been my own experience.

I might try the olive oil for Meep. I have a salmon oil spritz I got

Olive oil isn't - it's the only cooking oil we use, so it's not like

I'm not too sure the olive oil will tempt her. Emily eats it, but I get
the
impression she is just tolerating it, not because she particularly likes
it. Fortunately, she will eat many things. However, Meep's preferences may
well be different. Good luck!

BTW, FWIW I also use olive oil for cooking.

It's worth a try at least! Here's some of the other fats I've found useful
(some cats liked one more than others)

- Butter, usually melted and the solids left out (ghee, clarified butter).
Has a mild laxitive effect on some kitties but more gentle than the laxitone
etc sorts.
- Pork fat (all types but watch the salt with bacon/sausge sorts)
- Beef fat
- Duck and Chicken fat
- Rapeseed oil (cannola)

Ones not highly suggested but some cats tolerate them well. These may cause
allergic responses in *some* pets. Do not use if the pet is allergic prone.

- Corn oil
- palm oil
- soy based oils