Prozac

Old June 10th 04, 02:08 AM
teri

Default Prozac

I took Jewel to the veterinary behaviorist yesterday. She confirmed
the redirected aggression thoughts I had about her episodes. She
explained that it is caused by a defect in a gene which causes an
abnormal and extreme reaction to certain stimuli. And since the
reaction is not rational, there is no way to adequately avoid
triggering it, and behavior modification or counter-conditioning is
not effective. So the only treatment plan is medication which may
help. She recommended and prescribed Prozac - 2.5 mg daily.
I am scared to start it, but I will. What kind of changes, effects,
etc has anyone seen in their own experience using Prozac. I obviously
don't want to change Jewel in any way other than stopping those
attacks from happening, and if she was less timid around new things
that would be fine too. I know of the identified side effects. I
think that sedation, listlessness would be for two days or so at the
start, but after that, has anyone seen it continue, do their cats
still play the same....?
Thanks,
Teri
Old June 10th 04, 04:22 AM
blkcatgal

My cat has taken prozac off and on for the past 4 years because of his
spraying and other aggression behavior. He was prescribed 4 mg daily (he's
a big cat). Currently he is taking half that...2 mg daily. I have not
notice any major changes in his personality because of the prozac. He is a
bit more mellow, but I'm not sure if that is due to the prozac or a sign of
his age (he's 15 now). It has helped with his behavioral problems.

Sue

Old June 13th 04, 07:49 PM
Jim D

First, prescribing Prozac to children under the age of six or to animals is
so-called "off label" use of the product that the manufacturing drug company
has not tested for safety or efficacy. Second, your veterinary behaviorist,
if asked, would be unable to identify any genetic defect that causes the
behavioral abnormalities described, as no such genetic research has been
validated as scientific at this point - that is, you were told of a
conclusion that is based on "junk science". The drug manufacturers love
this stuff, though, because no state or federal agency regulates such "off
label" uses of their drugs, and they make more money with very little legal
liability.

Good luck.

Old June 14th 04, 07:15 PM
Mel

In what form is the Prozac you give your cat?

I just recently started one of my cats on Prozac for a spraying
problem that has gone on for awhile and we can't resolve any other
way. I'm hoping it works, but the big problem now is that it is in
liquid form and has a bitter taste so giving it to him is a struggle.
He only has to get 1/2 ml (2 mg) but it does have a bad taste.

I don't know if a compounding pharmacy could make pills in the lower
doses or if they can only do liquid. I've heard they can flavor it to
make it a little easier for cats but I'd like to know its that's
worked for anyone else. If he might have to be on this for a long time
I'd like to make it easier to give.

Thanks,

Mel

Old June 15th 04, 01:52 AM
teri

In what form is the Prozac you give your cat?

She gets 2.5 mg, so I cut a 10 mg pill in quarters. It is football
shaped and scored in the middle, and using a little $3.75 pill cutter
it isn't too difficult to get in quarters. The pill also is bitter,
but being so small I just put it in a little bread ball that I make.
Wayyyyy easier than giving liquid medicine as far as I am concerned.
She never has been a fan of getting pills but I am good at it and in 5
seconds it is done and I know the whole dose is in, as opposed to
liquid.
How has your cat doing since starting on it? Is he eating ok. Jewel
has only gotten 5 doses so far, but her appetite is way down, and even
though they said she would drink more because of the dry mouth, I have
not seen her take a drink since starting it. I know she must at some
point, but it seems strange because before I used to see her drinking
many time throughout the day, so I expected to see it more now.
Otherwise she seems fine, plays, purrs like always. Just maybe a few
more yawns.
Good luck, I would ask for the pill for your boy!
Teri