Jasmine's pregnancy (again)

Old October 15th 05, 12:34 AM
meee

Default Jasmine's pregnancy (again)

Hi everyone. Jasmine is due any day now. I have found people willing to take
kittens, have set up a room for her and the kittens, and the local shelter
is giving out half price desexing vouchers, so I will get them to do her
desex. In the meantime, she is getting bigger every day and I am concerned
she is having lots of kittens and might need a supplement. She is looking
good so far, however I think she MAY be starting to look a bit thinner...DH
says I am worrying too much, as her large belly makes her look smaller.
However I have seen cats with kittens looking painfully thin, even though
owners (apparently) were feeding them good quality food. I am feeding her a
good kitten food, and she is getting chicken and bits of egg every day. I
also didn't want to make her sick by giving her the wrong foods. Does anyone
know of any foods i could give her to make sure she stays in good nick? eg
should i give her a whole egg once a week like we do with the dogs? Would
sustagen (for lactating humans) help? Some cooked chicken or mince? cat
milk?? any other ideas??

--
There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned by
cats.

Anonymous

One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway

Old October 15th 05, 01:07 AM
Phil P.

"meee" wrote in message
[...]

Feed her canned kitten food now and until she's finished nursing.

Old October 15th 05, 01:28 AM
meee

"Phil P." wrote in message

"meee" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Phil P. I was hoping you'd come up with something...nice and simple.
I've been giving her dry, as usual, except kitten dry. we live in hot
tropical climate, and wet attracts the ants, but I've got her one of those
antproof bowls now...would a meal of that 3 X daily and dry available 24/7
be good? and I've been using pyrethrin powder for flea control as she's
pregnant, seems to work as long as I do it regularly, would it be safe for
kittens too? Just thinking ahead...it's very hot now and fleas will be
breeding lots over the next few months. i haven't found any on her over the
last few days though, so hopefull i've got them all.

Old October 16th 05, 07:23 AM
Phil P.

"meee" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message
Feed her canned kitten food now and until she's finished nursing.

Thanks Phil P. I was hoping you'd come up with something...nice and

simple.
I've been giving her dry, as usual, except kitten dry. we live in hot
tropical climate, and wet attracts the ants, but I've got her one of those
antproof bowls now...

All you needed was a shallow dish with a little water in it and a food bowl
in the middle- make a little moat around the food bowl- that keeps the ants
away from the food. That's how I feed my ferals.

would a meal of that 3 X daily and dry available 24/7
be good?

If you feed her as much canned kitten food as she wants- you won't need to
feed her any dry food. Also, if she nibbles on the dry food she won't eat
as much canned food- and that's what you really want her to eat. Don't
forget, you want to keep her well hydrated because she's producing milk.
Canned food will give her a higher total water intake than eating dry food
and drinking water.

and I've been using pyrethrin powder for flea control as she's
pregnant, seems to work as long as I do it regularly, would it be safe for
kittens too?

Pyrethrin is supposed to be safe- but I just don't like powders or anything
the cat can ingest.

Just thinking ahead...it's very hot now and fleas will be
breeding lots over the next few months. i haven't found any on her over

the
last few days though, so hopefull i've got them all.

Flea powder isn't enough- you have to vacuum the floors and your furniture
because fleas can burrow into carpet and upholstery. Eggs laid on the cat
easily fall off into your carpet and furniture. Vacuuming captures fleas and
their eggs.

Old October 17th 05, 03:21 AM
meee

"Phil P." wrote in message

"meee" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message
Feed her canned kitten food now and until she's finished nursing.

Thanks Phil P. I was hoping you'd come up with something...nice and

simple.
I've been giving her dry, as usual, except kitten dry. we live in hot
tropical climate, and wet attracts the ants, but I've got her one of

those
antproof bowls now...

All you needed was a shallow dish with a little water in it and a food

bowl
in the middle- make a little moat around the food bowl- that keeps the

ants
away from the food. That's how I feed my ferals.

yep, good idea...at the moment her bowl is sitting in a dish of water...I'll
have to get one of those for her

would a meal of that 3 X daily and dry available 24/7
be good?

If you feed her as much canned kitten food as she wants- you won't need to
feed her any dry food. Also, if she nibbles on the dry food she won't eat
as much canned food- and that's what you really want her to eat. Don't
forget, you want to keep her well hydrated because she's producing milk.
Canned food will give her a higher total water intake than eating dry food
and drinking water.

Ok, I'll try giving her canned food whenever she asks for it...which is
roughly 3 times a day. I can't leave dry food out for her for long anyway,
as she's fussy and won't eat it after a few hours. I've been feeding her the
dry as it's supposed to be good for their teeth. She has water always
available, we live in the tropics so i check several times a day. she does
get very thirsty, and fortunately she's a good drinker, especially when it's
fresh.

and I've been using pyrethrin powder for flea control as she's
pregnant, seems to work as long as I do it regularly, would it be safe

for
kittens too?

Pyrethrin is supposed to be safe- but I just don't like powders or

anything
the cat can ingest.

Ok I have to get a wormer from the vet that is safe, so i'll ask about what
to use for the fleas as well.

Just thinking ahead...it's very hot now and fleas will be
breeding lots over the next few months. i haven't found any on her over

the
last few days though, so hopefull i've got them all.

Flea powder isn't enough- you have to vacuum the floors and your furniture
because fleas can burrow into carpet and upholstery. Eggs laid on the cat
easily fall off into your carpet and furniture. Vacuuming captures fleas

and
their eggs.

we have tiles, which i sweep or vacuum daily, and mop every few days. I

just washed the couch, it has a cover which is regularly washed and her
couch is vacuumed regularly too. she usually prefers to sleep on the tiles
as it''s cooler in this weather. i haven't seen any on her, or hopping
around since i put the poeder on her, and she hasn't gone outside at all for
several weeks now (she's getting fatter and knows i can catch her if she
bolts, and i'm using the spray bottle...you should see the looks she gives
me!!) so i'm hoping i can keep her and the kittens flea free.