!!!!!BRANDY'S COMING HOME!!!!!

Old August 29th 04, 06:10 PM
Lucy's Mom

Congratulations!!!! It sounds like Miss Brandy is heading to a home
with properly trained and attentive catslaves. I hope she realizes
how lucky a girl she is!!!!

Pictures?

Kim and Lucy

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:00:05 -0400, Singh
wrote:

We just got the call from the foster-mama Marilyn and she asked us if we
could take our Brandy tomorrow instead of just before Labor Day. Seems
that one of her own cats has been making trouble for the baby, trying to
jump her and such, that they want her in a quieter place where she can
be supervised and rest after her spaying. With my and Louie's work
schedule, it works out perfectly. We're told she's off the pain
medication and has nearly returned to her outgoing, crazy little kitten
self, and getting into everything. I was miserable at work until I
checked my messages at break and heard the news!

Tomorrow I work a half day so we'll go to PetSmart to pick up our baby.
The shelter's being really cool about everything, especially in light of
our concerns about our pay schedules. As a tradeoff for taking Brandy
early and getting her away from the surlier cat, we've been granted an
extension on paying the adoption fee, get a free carrier and a big bag
of kitty toys to keep the little one amused while she recoups in the
nice, airconditioned room where she'll be resting the next few days. One
of us will be with Brandy, the other will keep the other two distracted,
and we'll take turns sleeping with her until we break the other cats in.
Stosh and Roxie have been good in the past about other cats so we don't
expect trouble. I'll have my books; I like reading to the cats, and they
seem to like it too. I look forward to introducing our little girl to
Dostoevsky, and catnip. Especially catnip. I have these catnip-infused
blowing bubbles that makes our kids nuts.

So please join Elizabeth Bahadur Kaur Singh and Buxees Louis Singh in
welcoming Miss Brandy Alexandra Singh, our new baby! Just like the
two-legged kind, they often come at unexpected times, but come with joy
nonetheless!

Blessed be!

Baha, the happy mama

Old August 29th 04, 09:25 PM
Christina Websell

"Singh" wrote in message
You knew she'd properly be Kaur? I'm impressed. Few around here know the

gender
distinction in Sikh surnames.

But, you see, I live in Leicestershire, and Leicester has one of the highest
Indian/Asian populations in Britain. So don't be too impressed! Plus I
work (when I do work, not at present as am waiting for surgery) for the
government, and issues around race awareness are considered very important
in that field, mainly to enable us to give an efficient service to a very
multicultural population.

The local Sikhs don't acknowledge a person named
Elizabeth Singh; it was announced at my wedding (after destroying my

maiden
name, Szczepanska) that I was "now to be known as Bahadur Kaur," and that

is
how I am called. The state would not allow a name change to Kaur upon

marriage
because of New York's marriage ordinances. so Elizabeth B. Singh is the
everyday lady and I'm Bahadur or Baha everywhere else.

So the state is racist, by our laws. You are Bahadur Kaur.
I'm also aware of the i/a distinction in Polish surnames.

Roxie and Brandy should both be considered Kaur (princess) although Singh

means
Lion and is appropriate to the species!

I knew that too, but still don't be impressed. Be impressed with my
employers for alerting me to these things when I only had a fuzzy idea of
them.

Tweed

Old August 30th 04, 01:19 AM
Singh

Kudos to your employers for their sensitivities to racial and cultural issues,
which are still a big problem here in the USA. You're right. I am, and should
be, impressed by them.

At one former workplace, I got suspended for telling off one lady who said that
Louie and I should be tossed into the prison at Guantanamo Bay and assumed that
Louie is a foreign-born terrorist. He is in fact American-born and quite loves
his country. The lady was not suspended for her racist comment; but then, I
shouldn't be calling her a lady...

And yes, New York's marriage ordinances are out of date and insensitive to many
who want to make alternative decisions for any reason, including religious. Like
the name change upon marriage. To have become Kaur would have cost me thousands.
An Indian-born Sikh lady can keep Kaur because it's most likely her maiden name
anyway.

My father-in-law is very familiar with your part of the UK, and often goes that
way on business. He tells me it's fabulous and I imagine it must be.

You're right. Your bosses have their heads on straight, and my comparitively
young nation has much to learn. We're not perfect. We have a lot to overcome,
especially where race is an issue, even now.

Blessed be,

Baha

Old August 30th 04, 01:22 AM
Singh

I'm working on the pictures! The truth is, I have next to no techie knowledge
and don't know how to get them in here so a person could just click something
and see my babies. We don't have a scanner but could maybe borrow a digital
camera or something. Any lessons on Kitty Pictures For Dummies?

Blessed be,

Baha

Old August 30th 04, 10:29 AM
Debbie Wilson

Singh wrote:

I'm working on the pictures! The truth is, I have next to no techie knowledge
and don't know how to get them in here so a person could just click something
and see my babies. We don't have a scanner but could maybe borrow a digital
camera or something. Any lessons on Kitty Pictures For Dummies?

Hi Baha,

Quite a few people here use a freebie Yahoo account just for the benefit
of its free photo album facility. If you have JPG files on your PC
(which are the standard type generated by a digital camera, usually)
it's very simple to upload then to your Yahoo Photo album. You can then
set the album to be 'public' (shared) so anyone to whom you give the
address can go and have a look.

These pages will give you an introduction:
http://tinyurl.com/6y3zk

This is one of my Yahoo albums:
http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...bum?.dir=/c2e7

Hope this helps!

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old August 30th 04, 12:05 PM
Flippy

Congratulations on the newest addition to your family!

--
Flippy in Melbourne, Australia.
My Cats: http://www.flippyscatpage.com

"Singh" wrote in message
[...]