OT - Food You Can't Resist

Old September 2nd 11, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Default OT - Food You Can't Resist

"Joy" wrote in
:

"outsider" wrote in message
"Joy" wrote in
:

"outsider" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

"CatNipped" wrote in message

I did run into a sweet I found irresistible recently. It comes from
Trader Joe's. I forget the exact name, but it's caramel popcorn
that has been dipped in chocolate.

Joy

My brother visits Trader Joe's often but that store would be the kiss
of death for me if I visited on a regular basis!

Yes, it's the same here. Once in a great while I'll go there if
there's something I need that only they carry, but otherwise I stay
away, except at Christmas. I always give my son-in-law an assortment
of cheeses for Christmas, and TJ's is a good place to get them.

Usually when I go there, I'm lucky if I give into temptation only once
on a trip. The last time I managed that. Not on that, the item I
bought was a bag of Vidalia onions. I was very proud of myself. ;-)

Joy

LOL! Good job!

Old September 2nd 11, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 9/1/2011 5:47 PM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message
wrote in
:

wrote in message
wrote in
:

wrote in message

I did run into a sweet I found irresistible recently. It comes from
Trader Joe's. I forget the exact name, but it's caramel popcorn that
has been dipped in chocolate.

Joy

My brother visits Trader Joe's often but that store would be the kiss of
death for me if I visited on a regular basis!

Yes, it's the same here. Once in a great while I'll go there if there's
something I need that only they carry, but otherwise I stay away, except at
Christmas. I always give my son-in-law an assortment of cheeses for
Christmas, and TJ's is a good place to get them.

Usually when I go there, I'm lucky if I give into temptation only once on a
trip. The last time I managed that. Not on that, the item I bought was a
bag of Vidalia onions. I was very proud of myself. ;-)

Joy

Some people think it's odd that I love onions so much. "Sonic" makes
wonderful fried onion rings, BTW. Whenever we broil or bake something I
always toss in an extra onion or two, and they're great sauteed over
liver. I love all sorts of onions, the tiny little onions you get in
the peas, mushroom and onion canned peas, green onions - any type or
style cooked! Even stranger, given how much I love them, I don't like
that onion thingy that's an appetizer at "Outback" - about the only
thing on their menu I don't care for - I get the "Shrimp on the Barby"
appetizer instead (and gads how I love their black bread and real butter).

Wow, you just pushed my "onion button"! LOL!!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old September 2nd 11, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

CatNipped wrote:

I've never been to a "Trader Joe's". Is it similar to "Cracker Barrel"?
They have a little odds and ends store outside and a restaurant on the
inside (gives you way too much to do for your own good while you await
your table).

It's a huge chain, and I thought it was everywhere in the US. They sell
some specialty items, a bit of gourmet, some health food (nothing too arcane,
but they have a lot of organic items) and a lot of wine, all at low prices.
They do their own distributing - that's how they got started, as a wine
distributor - so that's one reason prices are lower. They don't have to
pay someone else to haul their stuff around.

They also sell items made by small independent companies, which they
"rebrand" in their own name. The upside for the small companies is that
they sell a whole lot more of their product than they ever could on their
own. The downside is that they have to charge a lot less than they would
on their own (stipulation by Trader Joe's), so their profit margin on
each item is smaller. However, a big profit margin isn't so important when
you're selling inexpensive items in mass quantities. Unfortunately, the
small company doesn't get any exposure for their name - the products are
sold as Trader Joe's brand. I recognize a lot of things that I've bought
as, eg, Dr. Bronner's soap, or Annie's salad dressings, which are being
sold as TJ's soap and salad dressing. (It doesn't matter if you don't
know what those are, they're just examples.)

I shop there every week - I get a lot of staples there.

Joyce

--
Fluffy Mackerel Pudding - "Once upon a time, the world was young and the
words 'mackerel' and 'pudding' existed far, far away from one another. One
Old September 2nd 11, 01:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
On 9/1/2011 5:47 PM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message
wrote in
:

wrote in message
wrote in
:

wrote in message

[...]

It's nice to meet a fellow onion lover. I know what you mean about the
thingy at "Outback". Black Angus used to do something similar, and it was
good, but the one at Outback is too greasy for me.

I eat pretty much the same thing every day, because I can, and because I
don't have to spend a lot of time planning meals or making shopping lists.
My usual dinner is a chicken quesadilla, with lots of onions. I've been
eating that almost every day for dinner when I'm eating at home for a few
years now. (I hope that makes sense) I always have a sandwich for lunch,
but I'll have the same kind for a few weeks or months, and then switch.
When the sandwich is roast beef or tuna salad, it always has lots of onion
in it. About the only time I don't eat onions is at breakfast. ;-)

Joy

Old September 2nd 11, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:

[...]

Mine also has a small, but very nice, selection of fresh produce.

Joy

Old September 2nd 11, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 9/1/2011 7:17 PM, wrote:
CatNipped wrote:

[...]

Hmmmm, I just googled "Trader Joe's Houston Texas" and pulled up this
article:

http://www.chron.com/business/articl...on-1692842.php

or

http://tinyurl.com/3db7laz

So it seems that I will be able to experience it soon. I don't know if
that's a good or bad thing since I have no self-restraint! ;

Old September 2nd 11, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 9/1/2011 7:17 PM, wrote:
CatNipped wrote:

[...]

In the article I also saw that "Aldi" is planning on a store here in
Houston... that name sounded familiar, did someone mention that store
here recently?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See all our masters at:
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped

Old September 2nd 11, 01:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 9/1/2011 7:28 PM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message
On 9/1/2011 5:47 PM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message
wrote in
:

wrote in message
wrote in
:

wrote in message

[...]

I'm glad someone else is like me in having an "in" food for a while.
I'll find something that I can eat at almost every day at every meal
(for a while it was N'Awlins Bar-b-que Shrimp, and I still like it, but
not constantly), then the craving will pass and sometimes it's a food
that I will actually avoid afterwards (especially if it's a food that
made me sick). I'm just passing out of a fried hamburger patty phase -
just the patty, not the bun or other things... and I always like some
onions cooked along with them.

Old September 2nd 11, 05:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 9/1/2011 7:29 PM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:

[...]

Ah, reading further down into the article I see they're looking for an
"affluent" neighborhood which means I'll probably not shop there. Even
if I had the money, I can't see using it for something you might be able
to get elsewhere at a more reasonable price. I never did see the sense
of "designer" clothes. and such. Why the heck would I pay *extra* to
have somebody *else's* name on my butt???!!

Old September 2nd 11, 06:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Patok[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:

Ah, reading further down into the article I see they're looking for an
"affluent" neighborhood which means I'll probably not shop there. Even
if I had the money, I can't see using it for something you might be able
to get elsewhere at a more reasonable price. I never did see the sense
of "designer" clothes. and such. Why the heck would I pay *extra* to
have somebody *else's* name on my butt???!!

First of all, TJ is not /that/ much more expensive than the other places,
and some things are (arguably) cheaper. For ex, they sell bananas by the one,
and if you choose large ones, it might be cheaper than elsewhere.
If you are a heartland American, maybe it doesn't hold much appeal, but for
a transplant European, Trader Joe's is essential. It has real bread and real
yogurt, for one, and all kinds of cheeses and salami. Here on the East Coast it
sells the cheapest pre-packaged sushi (I know *this* is not European, just
sayin'). And all kinds of caponatas, roasted peppers, olives, couscous etc
oriental things, as well as the best European (that is - not too sweet) frozen
desserts - tortes, tiramisu, creme brulees, ice-cream cakes and such. And the
wines are very good for the price (except two buck chuck).

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
*