Getting used to the cat

Old June 9th 04, 06:54 PM

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 13:15:12 -0400, Takayuki
wrote:

"Marina" wrote:

If it's a young enough cat or kitten I'd say it's highly unlikely that Betty
will not take to it/him/her.

What is it with you and recommending kittens? I think that Betty
would hate having a kitten in the house!

My first one, Figaro did when I brought Tito home. I did not know that
cats could growl so loud! It was a matter of time and a slow
introduction.
About a week of pawplay under the door and supervised meetings I knew
it was going to work out when Figaro came into the bathroom where Tito
was and picked up his toys that I placed in there for Tito to use.
When I put the toys in there for Tito I figured what the hell, Figaro
doesn't play with them any more Tito can use them. I guess I was
wrong. You would think that with all the toys that Figaro had he would
not miss any of them.
The next day Figaro came in and used Tito's litter box. Tito was not
amused. Tito then went and used Figaro's. Since that time they have
been buddies.

A year later they are still buddies, hunt together, sleep together,
play, wrestle, and do other cat stuff together. It just required a
little patience, understanding, and loads of affection on the older
cat.

By the way, I have three now, all about a year apart.

No problems except for the occasional spat. No unnecessary vet bill
due to fighting.
It can be done even with an only cat.

Go for it. Hie thee to the shelter.

Old June 9th 04, 06:54 PM

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 16:57:46 GMT, Tanada wrote:

wrote:

I followed the whole business last year with Tak and how he was
"persuaded" into being owned.
I must admit he did hold out for a long time.

That he did. However, he'd have saved himself a lot of nagging, and us
a lot of band width if he'd been adopted by two to begin with.

Pam S.

I am working on him now!

Old June 9th 04, 06:58 PM
Marina

"Takayuki" wrote

What is it with you and recommending kittens? I think that Betty
would hate having a kitten in the house!

On the contrary, I think she would feel less threatened than by an adult
cat, and she might even feel motherly towards it. ) Like Frank did with
Nikki.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old June 9th 04, 09:49 PM
Bridget

wrote:

I followed the whole business last year with Tak and how he was
"persuaded" into being owned.
I must admit he did hold out for a long time.

That he did. However, he'd have saved himself a lot of nagging, and us
a lot of band width if he'd been adopted by two to begin with.

Pam S.

I am working on him now!

Oh h*ll add me to the list.

Tak, I remember when you brought Betty home last year you talked about
her personality and how personable she was and easy to get along with
and how quickly she came out of her shell and how laid back she was.
Weeeelllll, those are all things you look for in a cat to see if they
would take another cat being in their space. And the general rule of
thumb is that it does work better with kittens than older cats because
the established cat, Betty, is the dominant cat and the kitten will be
the non-dominant one and won't challenge her until way after they have
become acquainted. They may not become best of friends until the kitten
is closer to adulthood, but most young cats can't stand to see a kitten
playing without wanting to get involved themselves. It is just too much
of a temptation. And kittens will play with anything, thus drawing the
cat in whether they want to or not.

And the bonus, you get to have a kitten in the house. You think having
Betty around in endearing and adoring and beautiful, just wait 'til you
try a kitten on for size. Kitten fever will never mean the same thing
again.

My recommendation, for the record, is that you get a male kitten
(usually opposite sexes work best - so it is said anyway, I've got two
of the same sex (both male) and they are pretty much inseparable) that
is 3-5 months old. And, please, Tak, the sooner the better. You know
we aren't going to leave you alone about this until you do the bidding
of our masters. Besides, this IS kitten season and if you delay too
long, it will be hard to find the perfect kitten to go with Betty.

Bridget - nope, my cats know no shame