Buddy's tests are in

Old August 20th 04, 09:29 AM
Paul M. Cook©®

Default Buddy's tests are in

OK, the Western blot test showed up today. FIV positive. Damn. Now I know
this is not an immediate death sentence I am nonetheless not happy. I am a
firm believer in holistic remedies - they work. I am going to get into
nutritional therapy for this guy.

I've been advised that Wellness brand of cat food is a good place to start.
I have a local supply of the food, now I just need to get Buddy to eat it.
What else can I do? How about omega fish oils? I mean they cannot hurt I
suppose but would it be overkill with the Wellness cat food?

The latest diagnosis of the liver is cholangiohepatitis and choliocystitis.
Not the least of his worries, not the worst. He'll be on antibiotics for 8
weeks at least. So far he is eating well and seems fine. Still a bit
yellow in some spots but that will take weeks to go away.

His T4 level was 6.5 - very high. He is on Tapazole for the time being and
so far no side effects. How much does the radioactive iodine test cost?
I'm thinking 3-4 months from now, if his tests are all good, that I will
have the treatment performed on him. He handled 4 nights at the vet just
fine so the 3 he'll be in the clinic will be easy enough I would think.

So all in all, it could be worse. I had thought my guy was not long for
this world. I think though that I can keep him going for a long while. I
am very relieved in spite of the FIV positive test. Buddy enjoys a stress
free life, no worries, satellite TV, all he can eat - so we have that side
beat. I am planting plenty of rye grass in the backyard for him so he has a
fresh supply.

Not much new to report, just some reason for optimism.

Paul

Old August 20th 04, 02:53 PM
Karen

I'm sorry he is FIV positive, but you have a great attitude toward it and
that will go a long way towards helping him feel better. I sure hope that
you can get him to a comfortable zone and he stays healthy (in the healthy
FIV postive cat way) as possible.

Karen

Old August 20th 04, 04:01 PM
Mary

"Paul M. Cook©®" wrote in message
OK, the Western blot test showed up today. FIV positive. Damn.

I wish it had been better news. Poor Buddy.

His T4 level was 6.5 - very high. He is on Tapazole for the time being

and so far no side effects. How much does the radioactive iodine test cost?

I am going through this with Buddha--her T4 was at 10. (Dumb name for a
girl, but she used to be "Boo" until she got fat. Then I was rubbing her
great big belly one day and--voila! Buddha was born! g)

Do you try to pill Buddy after he is fed? The only time Buddha got sick from
it was when I gave it to her on an empty stomach. Look out for Buddy's
appetite lessening--this can be dangerous for all cats, even fat cats like
Buddha, as you know, if they go off their food for long enough. I would NOT
switch his food while you are getting his thyroid, at least if you have
found something he really likes.

Here, the radioactive iodine treatment is about $1,000. I will have it for
Buddha when her heart rate and T4 levels have stabilized for a while. I have
read a lot about it, and it really is the treatment of choice. It's not
invasive, the cats just get a single injection. The biggest downside to most
is that they must be separated from their cat (the cat is boarded at the
vet, likely in seclusion) due to the cat's waste being radioactive. The
period can be for as little as 3 days and as long as 3 weeks from what I
have read. (I think it depends on your state laws regarding hazardous
waste/radioactive materials?) My vet said to expect to be separated from
them for ten days.

[...]
Not much new to report, just some reason for optimism.

I can tell he is in good hands.

Old August 21st 04, 09:24 AM
MacCandace

Not much new to report, just some reason for optimism.

Paul

That's good. And with FIV, you don't really have to worry about your other cat
contracting it unless they bite each other and break the skin. My late cat was
on tapazole for 2 years with no ill efects.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old August 22nd 04, 09:51 PM
~*Connie*~

look into vitamin C therapy. Check out the book the very healthy cat.
http://www.belfield.com/books.html