Kenzie update

Old March 18th 09, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Kenzie update

First of all: thank you for all the purrs!

I looked for Kenzie until 4:30AM last night. Then I got up at 7:30 AM
this morning, and started looking again. I had a 10:00AM appt. with
TED

I still couldn't find her by 9AM; I even called the clinic, to tell
them I would be late, etc. They said to just keep looking, and bring
her in as soon as I find her, because she must be very sick, to be
hiding like that.

But, a few minutes later I was in my bedroom, and I heard her trying
to throw up. So I shut the door, and had to get her from under the
bed.

I made it to TED in time for my appointment. The good news is that
Kenzie's white and red cell, and platelet counts all look good. So The
Tapazole isn't attacking her bone marrow. She's not running a fever,
and the Tapazole has slowed her heart rate considerably.

The bad news is that TED found a very enlarged lymph node close to her
jaw, on one side only. That's the kind of thing that happens near an
abscessed wound, but TED could find nothing.

Ted doesn't know why it's there, because Kenzie isn't running a fever.
And her white count is normal.

She was dehydrated, which I already knew, since she had not drank
anything since Monday, I think. And she threw that up, too.

So they gave her a injection of antibiotics, just in case, and gave me
amoxicillin pills. I asked for the liquid; it's more expensive, but I
don't want to have to pill her 4X a day!

TED does not know why Kenzie is throwing up. It can happen with
Tapazole to some cats. She is hoping it will clear up on it's own. She
gave Kenzie some hairball goo, just in case she had a hairball. I
don't think she does, because she doesn't SOUND like she does. But
it's cheap and easy to do.

Ted said I could give her some more tomorrow and the next day, just in
case.

I don't think that's the problem, but it's not too expensive ($10) and
easy to administer.

So I have Kenzie locked in the back half of the house, with food,
water, and a clean litter box. She has access to the bathroom, the
back hallway (very short) and my bedroom. She was NOT happy about
being shut up there, but until she gets better, I'm afraid she might
hide again. So I have to keep her where I can find her.

If she hides in the basement, It could take days too move all the
stuff down there, and look in all the boxes, etc. There's no light to
speak of down there, either. I was looking with a flashlight.

Well, I'm at work, and have to get back to it.

Thank you all for your concern, and please keep the purrs coming!

Gandalf

Old March 18th 09, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Mar 18, 4:38*pm, wrote:
First of all: thank you for all the purrs!

You and Kenzie are more than welcome.

snipped

Gandalf

Well, all could yet be very well. It is good that you have her where
you can do stuff for her. Even if it had been, as it may be, rather
minor you couldn't do much if she persisted in hiding. Well, she was
TRYING to persist in hiding but I meant succesfully.

--
Will in New Haven

Old March 18th 09, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
[...]

I'm glad you found her, and glad there doesn't seem to be anything major
wrong. Purrs will continue. I think you're smart to keep her confined to
where you can find her. If you talk to the vet again, you might ask about
an antacid. Sometimes that can help if a cat's stomach is upset by a
medication.

Joy

Old March 19th 09, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

On Mar 18, 1:38*pm, wrote:
[...]

Hmmmmm, interesting...

enlarged salivary lymph node...but only on one side....no fever...and
normal white count.....

Very interesting.

If it doesn't go down with antibiotics the next thing to do would be
to try to aspirate it and see what's inside.

Purrs that she gets better and keep us posted.

Kristi
Old March 19th 09, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel[_2_]

Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA

Thanks for the update on Kenzie - purrs continuing for her and for you.
Christine

Old March 19th 09, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

wrote in message

So I have Kenzie locked in the back half of the house, with food,
water, and a clean litter box. She has access to the bathroom, the
back hallway (very short) and my bedroom. She was NOT happy about
being shut up there, but until she gets better, I'm afraid she might
hide again. So I have to keep her where I can find her.

If she hides in the basement, It could take days too move all the
stuff down there, and look in all the boxes, etc. There's no light to
speak of down there, either. I was looking with a flashlight.

Well, I'm at work, and have to get back to it.

Thank you all for your concern, and please keep the purrs coming!

Gandalf

Hope that Kenzie's problems clear up and soon. Am asking the owners to send
purrs and am thinking lots of healthy thoughts for Kenzie and all the other
sick kitties in the group.

Pam S.

Old March 19th 09, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

wrote:
[...]

snip
Gandalf

We will continue to send lots and lots of purrs and best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

A pic of Kenzie Gandalf Cat anecdotes 10 March 9th 09 02:20 PM
Kan Kenzie Hab sum Purrs? Stormmee Cat community 1 March 5th 09 07:52 AM
Kenzie update [email protected] Cat anecdotes 12 March 4th 09 07:24 AM
Pic of Kenzie Gandalf Cat anecdotes 0 February 14th 08 09:33 AM
Another Kenzie pic Gandalf Cat anecdotes 27 June 12th 04 04:16 PM