Mad kitty!

Old October 24th 04, 03:44 AM
William Hamblen

On 2004-10-23, Sherry wrote:

Here, a basement (hardly anyone has one)...is the room under your house. A
cellar is a tornado shelter, which is completley separate from the house. Also
called a "scare-hole."

Cellars also come in fruit, root and coal. The fruit is in jars
on shelves. The roots are mounded up in straw. The coal is loose.
You have cellar doors that slope.

Some old words have disappeared, such as ash can, because noone burns
coal any more to make ashes to be hauled away.

American English is different owing to many years of separation and
influences from the languages of the other settlers of the New World, the
Indians who were here first, and the African slaves. Thus we kept the
definite article in phrases like "in the hospital" and lost the initial
"h" in "herb". Old timers would say "yarbs", I guess from the Spanish
"la yerba", but that has died out. "Yarb" might have come in with the
Mexican War. It always meant medicinal plants such as wild ginseng and
not garden herbs.

Old October 24th 04, 03:44 AM
William Hamblen

Old October 24th 04, 03:44 AM
William Hamblen

Old October 24th 04, 04:09 AM
Mishi

"William Hamblen" wrote in message

Some old words have disappeared, such as ash can, because noone burns
coal any more to make ashes to be hauled away.

I also grew up going "down cellar", and I took ashes out in an ash can and
put them in an ash pit. These weren't coal ashes, but wood ash. I sat on a
sofa, and drank soda. I grew up in the Adirondack Mtns of New York, near
the Canadian border. G One saying that I use that seems to be a local one
is "That person is a rig!" , meaning that person likes to be the center of
attention, good or bad. My oldest sister is a 'rig', and she is constantly
in the middle of a problem, either of her own creation or of someone elses.
She just thrives on it! I also work with someone like that. Sigh. G

Patti
(in central New York, where it is getting colder every day!)

Old October 24th 04, 04:13 AM
Sherry

Someone from
the UK flamed me good one time for using the word "dander

Now, what's wrong with that word? Is it another word, like f*nny, that
doesn't mean anything bad over here but does over there?

You know, to this day I don't know. I kind of suspect he just didn't know what
the word meant.
snipped.

There was a horrid
creature from the UK that used to be on the cat groups who called
me "harpic." I'd never heard that one either!

That's a new one. I assume it means "harpie-like"? Nice.

LOL, no. IIRC, I was told that it was a toilet bowl cleaner, and there was a TV
commercial or something that said it "Cleans 'round the bend." Thus, "harpic"
was supposed mean somebody who was " 'round the bend", or off their rocker.

Sherry

Joyce

Old October 24th 04, 04:24 AM
Sherry

On 2004-10-23, Sherry wrote:

Gotta agree with you, Seanette. I posted about Jake back earlier in the

summer.
I made several suggestions to DH as to how to "relocate" him. (her?). The
suggestions all kinda died for lack of a second.

Jake eats mice. You might want to keep him.

Jake's eating something, for sure. If he gets much bigger he's going to be
scary. Here's a pic I took last spring when I caught him out on the top of the
cellar sunning himself.
http://members.aol.com/greywolf17/snake1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/greywolf17/snake2.jpg

Sherry

My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM
A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM