Kenzie update

Old March 3rd 09, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Kenzie update

I JUST got to work after taking Kenzie to see TED. In 9 months, Kenzie
has lost a little over a pound ( 1/2 kilogram)

But TED said she could feel Kenzie's thyroid; she said that's not
normal.

So, after listening to *sombody* trying for OVER 30 minutes to get
blood (Kenzie crying all that time, LOUDLY; is was horrible to listen
to), they are going to send out blood for thyroid function tests.

So considering that Kenzie is somewhere between 13 and 14, it could
have been much worse: her kidneys are OK; that's what I was worried
about.

So I'm just going to hope that TED was right, since treating her
thyroid is relatively easily; except for pilling Kenzie *shudder*.

I should get the test back in 24 hours.

Thank you so much for your purrs and prayers

BTW: TED said Kenzie acted like a 'typical' calico cat, but she still
thinks she's very pretty.

I'll post the test results as soon as possible. My computer at home
pretty much died last night; but I can use the computer at work.
(Google groups really bites! But it's better than nothing.)

Bad luck does seem to come in threes: my water heater died less than 2
weeks ago ($800USD), my computer is trying to become a door stop, and
Kenzie is sick.

Kenzie is the most important to me, of course. And I could have gotten
MUCH worse news.

While I was at TED's, a woman brought in a *beautiful* long hair
tuxedo kitty. She was told that her cat's kidneys were completely shut
down.

Her cat went to the Bridge, while I was there today I feel so bad
for her; her cat wasn't even 10 years old.

Old March 3rd 09, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message

[...]

Purrs for Kenzie and you, and for the woman who lost her cat.

Have you ever given Kenzie liquid medication? Lindy is virtually impossible
to pill, but she gets her thyroid medication (and now a couple of others) in
liquid form, and it's relatively easy to get it down her. In fact, if I
forget it's time, she usually reminds me. She may go under a chair or table
while I'm fixing the dose, but she's never where I can't reach her. Of
course the fact that I give her some canned food after the medicine might
have something to do with it. In any case, unless you know that doesn't
work any better, if she does need thyroid medication, you might ask for it
in liquid form.

Joy

Old March 3rd 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Mar 3, 1:46 pm, "Joy" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I didn't know it was available in liquid form. Thank you for the
information!

Gandalf
Old March 3rd 09, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
On Mar 3, 1:46 pm, "Joy" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

You're welcome. If she needs it, I hope she takes it as well as Lindy does.
I don't even have to force her mouth open. I hold her, tip her head back,
and she opens her mouth. Good luck!

Joy

Old March 3rd 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Mar 3, 1:46 pm, "Joy" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Yep, with liquids you don't have to pry her teeth open, you can just inject
it into her cheek. I *always* ask if the medication they're given comes in
liquid form.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 3rd 09, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

[...]

I'm glad it's not too serious with Kenzie, that her kidneys are okay. I've
been praying for the both of you and the clowder has been doing their
loudest healing purrs.
I'm sorry about the other kitty going to The Bridge. That is so sad.
I hope you and Kenzie have many happy years together. I know how much you
love the sweetie and I can tell how much she loves you Can you try
putting some butter on the pills when you give them to her? I like Joy's
idea about the liquid meds, I'd forgotten about them. Cost wise, I don't
know the difference. Mosey had to have liquid meds for a week after he had
3 fangs pulled a few months ago, and I think he 'made faces' because it
tasted nasty, so a treat is definately in order if you go that route.
Puuuuuurs for you and Kenzi both.
Regards,
Kyla

Old March 3rd 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wrote:

I JUST got to work after taking Kenzie to see TED. In 9 months, Kenzie
has lost a little over a pound ( 1/2 kilogram)

But TED said she could feel Kenzie's thyroid; she said that's not
normal.

So, after listening to *sombody* trying for OVER 30 minutes to get
blood (Kenzie crying all that time, LOUDLY; is was horrible to listen
to), they are going to send out blood for thyroid function tests.

So considering that Kenzie is somewhere between 13 and 14, it could
have been much worse: her kidneys are OK; that's what I was worried
about.

Poor sweetie! I'm hope it's something easily treatable. It does sound
like she might be hyperthyroid, which would be pretty easy to treat.

I know how hard it is to listen to your cat being upset and scared, just
be glad that she has a much shorter memory than you do!

BTW: TED said Kenzie acted like a 'typical' calico cat, but she still
thinks she's very pretty.

Of course she is - she's adorable.

Bad luck does seem to come in threes: my water heater died less than 2
weeks ago ($800USD), my computer is trying to become a door stop, and
Kenzie is sick.

Well, my gang is sending most of their purrs for Kenzie, of course. And,
being cats, they also send purrs for your water heater (although it sounds
like you've already taken care of that, to the detriment of your bank
balance). They send a few grudging purrs to your computer, which mostly
exists to take time away from your slavely duties. (Except at my house,
when computer time is always kitty time!)

While I was at TED's, a woman brought in a *beautiful* long hair
tuxedo kitty. She was told that her cat's kidneys were completely shut
down.

Her cat went to the Bridge, while I was there today I feel so bad
for her; her cat wasn't even 10 years old.

And purrs for that kitty and its sad human, too.

Please keep us posted on the results (when you can get to a computer,
that is)!

--
Joyce ^..^

Kenzie can haz purrs? Gandalf Cat anecdotes 13 November 1st 08 11:36 PM
Pic of Kenzie Gandalf Cat anecdotes 0 February 14th 08 10:33 AM
A gift for Kenzie? Gandalf Cat anecdotes 14 December 24th 06 12:11 AM
Another Kenzie pic Gandalf Cat anecdotes 27 June 12th 04 04:16 PM
Kenzie photo Gandalf Cat anecdotes 21 June 9th 04 06:34 AM