Kill Cat, Get 6 Months Jail

Old March 24th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Kill Cat, Get 6 Months Jail

"Chakolate" wrote in message
44.170...
Jeanne Hedge wrote in
:

from the Chicago Sun-Times
(http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cat23.html)

in summary - Last summer a Chicago-area man kicked and killed a
neighbor girl's 9-week-old kitten because it came onto his property.
He was convicted of "felony aggravated cruelty", and was sentenced
today (Mar 23) to 6 months in jail, followed by 100 hours of community
service to be served in an animal shelter when he gets out.

I can definitely see community service - and more than 100 hours would be
fine. But why should society pay to lock this guy up for months? Is
that going to make him learn his lesson more than a trial and hundreds of
hours of community service?

Chak

In addition to punishing him, it sends a message to others who might
consider the same behavior.

Jo

Old March 25th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:23:30 -0800, "Jo Firey"
wrote:

"Chakolate" wrote in message
. 244.170...
Jeanne Hedge wrote in
:

from the Chicago Sun-Times
(http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cat23.html)

in summary - Last summer a Chicago-area man kicked and killed a
neighbor girl's 9-week-old kitten because it came onto his property.
He was convicted of "felony aggravated cruelty", and was sentenced
today (Mar 23) to 6 months in jail, followed by 100 hours of community
service to be served in an animal shelter when he gets out.

I can definitely see community service - and more than 100 hours would be
fine. But why should society pay to lock this guy up for months? Is
that going to make him learn his lesson more than a trial and hundreds of
hours of community service?

Chak

In addition to punishing him, it sends a message to others who might
consider the same behavior.

And it's a *felony* conviction. Every time he fills out paperwork that
asks if you've ever been convicted of anything, he has to list this
one (as opposed to misdemeanors and your run-of-the-mill traffic
tickets). Also, IIRC felony convictions are fairly difficult to have
expunged from your record.

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old March 25th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jo Firey wrote:

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message

from the Chicago Sun-Times
(http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cat23.html)

in summary - Last summer a Chicago-area man kicked and killed a
neighbor girl's 9-week-old kitten because it came onto his property.
He was convicted of "felony aggravated cruelty", and was sentenced
today (Mar 23) to 6 months in jail, followed by 100 hours of community
service to be served in an animal shelter when he gets out.

Sure hope they put him to work scrubbing out empty cages. I certainly
wouldn't trust him near any live animals. Especially after he has served
his six months and is really ****ed.

Something tells me most inmates are as unfriendly to animal abuse as they
are to child abuse.

Did anyone follow the series on Animal Planet where they had
convicts fostering and training dogs? Interesting -
apparently it improved both the dogs and the convicts!

Jo

Old March 25th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

" wrote in message
:
Did anyone follow the series on Animal Planet where they had
convicts fostering and training dogs? Interesting -
apparently it improved both the dogs and the convicts!
Jo

I loved watching that series. I especially remember the one where the
guy had to bottle feed a litter of puppies and care for them until they
were old enough to adopt out.

Annie