turning down the heat?

Old January 17th 04, 04:13 AM
DevilsPGD

In message "Sunflower"
did ramble:

It depends on the age of the cat in question, as kittens are far more
succeptible to cold than are adult cats. Our primary vet advisor to our
shelter recommends that we not let the temperature drop below 68 when we
have kittens. Of course, we are talking caged animals that cannot seek out
a warmer spot to snuggle in, but I still don't think I'd let the temps of a
home with kittens in it drop below 65. For adult cats, if they have a spot
close to a window where they can catch some sunbeams, or a hidey hole with
lots of blankies, I wouldn't worry below about 50. Yes, outdoor cats can
tolerate pretty cold temperatures briefly, but they too need a warm hay room
or other sheltered spot, and they have acclimated to those temps slowly.
Your indoor cat is acclimated to a certain range of temps also.

I let ours drop to 17 or so during the day (62ish for the US readers),
which is about right for me (I work from home). It often doesn't get
that cool, it's only down from 8:30am to 3:30pm when the kids return
home. We have an electronic thermostat that adjusts automatically, no
manual intervention required.

Over night I'm keeping it a little warming, 19 (66F) for the moment for
the sake of the kittens, but I'd like to drop that a little (for the
sake of me)

We have one room that stays 2-3 degrees (19-20C, 66-88F) warmer due to
having four computers there (for our kids) -- The cats spend most of
their time in there when the girls are home, but Interestingly enough
the kittens don't tend to spend much of their time alone unless somebody
is in the room. When they're alone or it's just me they typically curl
up in the kitchen in front of the heat vent (which is off all day) or in
the kids beds.

Don't get me wrong, I love the little devils, and when I'm up at night I
sit in a lazyboy chair with a blanket on my legs and a laptop on my lap,
all three of them will usually come curl up with me. Unfortunately,
during the day I typically sit at a desk, and there just isn't anywhere
for the little devils to sit.
--
They call it "PMS" because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken

Old January 17th 04, 04:19 AM
MGW

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:13:48 -0700, DevilsPGD
wrote:

In message Priscilla
Ballou did ramble:

I'm in Boston (Roslindale), and they said to turn your heat UP as a
protective measure.

Protective of what?

Water pipes. It reached 11 below 0 F last night around here. My
SIL's kitchen water pipes all froze - just hope they don't burst.

Old January 17th 04, 05:09 AM
Cat Protector

Well the weather has been nice here during the day so I have been able to
turn off the heat and the air conditioner entirely. At night it is in the
50's and even then I have mostly left it off. If it gets too cold though
then I turn it on.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"JLove98905" wrote in message
Just curious....how low do people turn the heat down during the day (when

they
are at work, etc), for the cats? We leave ours at about 60, but I'm

wondering
if it's more than they need.

-Jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright