Pet tracking collars

Old July 2nd 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Pet tracking collars

After hearing Smudge's story, and its wonderful conclusion, I was
wondering if people had any opinions about pet tracking collars. I've
noted at least two:

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/produc...productID=1160
http://www.thecatlocator.com

The LoCATer sounds like the better system, having a longer battery
life, less bulky collar, and a litle less expensive, but a little less
range. About $50 for a collar and $200 for a receiver, and $20 for a
pack of 12 (a year's worth) collar batteries.

I wonder if they could make a product like this using transponders
(similar to pet ID chips). I remember hearing years ago about how
they tagged butterflies with transponders to track them. Light,
rugged, and doesn't need batteries for the tag, but limited in range,
I think.

Old July 2nd 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2006-07-01 20:02:35 -0500, Takayuki said:

After hearing Smudge's story, and its wonderful conclusion, I was
wondering if people had any opinions about pet tracking collars. I've
noted at least two:

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/produc...productID=1160
http://www.thecatlocator.com

The LoCATer sounds like the better system, having a longer battery
life, less bulky collar, and a litle less expensive, but a little less
range. About $50 for a collar and $200 for a receiver, and $20 for a
pack of 12 (a year's worth) collar batteries.

I wonder if they could make a product like this using transponders
(similar to pet ID chips). I remember hearing years ago about how
they tagged butterflies with transponders to track them. Light,
rugged, and doesn't need batteries for the tag, but limited in range,
I think.

I almost think for a cat you would have to have something implanted.
Seems like that should be possible. I think it would not even have to
be a big range. MOST cats are within 3 blocks when missing (my vet told
me anyway). Look at Smudge, she wasn't far at all.

Old July 2nd 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Takayuki" wrote in message
After hearing Smudge's story, and its wonderful conclusion, I was
wondering if people had any opinions about pet tracking collars. I've
noted at least two:

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/produc...productID=1160
http://www.thecatlocator.com

The LoCATer sounds like the better system, having a longer battery
life, less bulky collar, and a litle less expensive, but a little less
range. About $50 for a collar and $200 for a receiver, and $20 for a
pack of 12 (a year's worth) collar batteries.

I wonder if they could make a product like this using transponders
(similar to pet ID chips). I remember hearing years ago about how
they tagged butterflies with transponders to track them. Light,
rugged, and doesn't need batteries for the tag, but limited in range,
I think.

It is really a tough call to decide how much range you need. I'd guess most
cats never go more the a quarter mile from where they start out.

Distance dogs however, like my brother's Husky are likely to be many miles
away within an hour.

Jo

Old July 2nd 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Takayuki wrote:

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/produc...productID=1160
http://www.thecatlocator.com

The LoCATer sounds like the better system, having a longer battery
life, less bulky collar, and a litle less expensive, but a little less
range. About $50 for a collar and $200 for a receiver, and $20 for a
pack of 12 (a year's worth) collar batteries.

I was really wishing I had something like this when Smudge was missing.
I watch plenty of nature shows, where scientists put these collars on
mountain lions and so forth, so I know that felines can live with them.

I agree the the LoCATer looks a little better - the collar on the other
one looks much to bulky. It's a bit pricey for me right now, but it's
worth considering. Smudge already wants to go out again, the crazy cat!

(I'm keeping her in for a while, though, until she's feeling a little
stronger, and I would like to get her microchipped, too.)

Joyce
Old July 2nd 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Karen wrote:
I almost think for a cat you would have to have something implanted.
Seems like that should be possible. I think it would not even have to
be a big range. MOST cats are within 3 blocks when missing (my vet told
me anyway). Look at Smudge, she wasn't far at all.

I'd guess that the range that you could get with a transponder would
be a block or half a block. Maybe good enough to find a cat. The
radio collars apparently have a maximum range of over half a mile,
although that extreme range I assume would need almost a clean line of
sight.

I don't know if it would be practical today to have implantable
transponders with that range, because they need antennas to get their
increased range. Even with the butterflies, they needed an antenna on
the transponder that was an inch or so long, but it didn't bother the
butterflies because the wire was light and thin. I use one of those
transponder ID badges at work, and I once had one stop working, except
at extremely short range. It turned out the wire inside the badge (a
loop of thin copper laid flat inside the card) came loose from the
chip.

Old July 2nd 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Jo Firey" wrote:
It is really a tough call to decide how much range you need. I'd guess most
cats never go more the a quarter mile from where they start out.

Distance dogs however, like my brother's Husky are likely to be many miles
away within an hour.

I think the first one is more for dogs, being larger and more
powerful. I can just imagine how far a husky can run off, considering
how long they can pull a sled.

Old July 2nd 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Takayuki wrote:
After hearing Smudge's story, and its wonderful conclusion, I was
wondering if people had any opinions about pet tracking collars.
I've noted at least two:

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/produc...productID=1160
http://www.thecatlocator.com

The LoCATer sounds like the better system, having a longer battery
life, less bulky collar, and a litle less expensive, but a little
less range. About $50 for a collar and $200 for a receiver, and $20
for a pack of 12 (a year's worth) collar batteries.

I wonder if they could make a product like this using transponders
(similar to pet ID chips). I remember hearing years ago about how
they tagged butterflies with transponders to track them. Light,
rugged, and doesn't need batteries for the tag, but limited in range,
I think.

I used to translate the webpages of a project that tracked Ospreys via
satellite. They had solar-powered transmitters to strap on the ospreys'
backs. That would only work outside, but most cats that get lost get
lost outside, I would think. Maybe the battery would retain enough power
even if the cat was inside, like Smudge was.

(If you want to read more about them, it starts he
http://www.fmnh.helsinki.fi/english/...reys/index.htm)

Old July 2nd 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

wrote:
I was really wishing I had something like this when Smudge was missing.
I watch plenty of nature shows, where scientists put these collars on
mountain lions and so forth, so I know that felines can live with them.

I agree the the LoCATer looks a little better - the collar on the other
one looks much to bulky. It's a bit pricey for me right now, but it's
worth considering. Smudge already wants to go out again, the crazy cat!

(I'm keeping her in for a while, though, until she's feeling a little
stronger, and I would like to get her microchipped, too.)

Don't you really wish, when they're gone? You must have felt so
helpless. We all did too! I couldn't let a cat out here, because
there's a little through street less than a quarter mile away where
cars go about 35 mph. Well, people let out their cats here anyway,
but I've almost hit them a couple of times. Can you imagine how bad
I'd feel if I actually did? And that even something as simple as a
garage can be such a hazard... It would just be too hard.

It's really a good idea to get Smudge chipped. You've already had a
couple of these close calls. If a samaritan happens to drop her off
at a vet because she's hurt, the chip could save her life if it helps
them get in touch with you quickly.

Old July 2nd 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Marina wrote:
I used to translate the webpages of a project that tracked Ospreys via
satellite. They had solar-powered transmitters to strap on the ospreys'
backs. That would only work outside, but most cats that get lost get
lost outside, I would think. Maybe the battery would retain enough power
even if the cat was inside, like Smudge was.

(If you want to read more about them, it starts he
http://www.fmnh.helsinki.fi/english/...reys/index.htm)

Thanks, that's interesting, and those are about the most beautiful
birds I've seen. They don't seem to talk all that much about it, but
it must be some interesting technology they're using, if they can make
a lightweight transmitter that's both energy efficient and allows
satellite tracking.

Old July 2nd 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Takayuki" wrote in message
"Jo Firey" wrote:
It is really a tough call to decide how much range you need. I'd guess
most
cats never go more the a quarter mile from where they start out.

Distance dogs however, like my brother's Husky are likely to be many miles
away within an hour.

I think the first one is more for dogs, being larger and more
powerful. I can just imagine how far a husky can run off, considering
how long they can pull a sled.

And add to that that they tend to run in a straight line. Any other dog
will circle and stop to investigate things, etc.

Jo