Post Operative Questions

Old December 30th 09, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default Post Operative Questions

Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (12/27/2009 2:08 PM):

"jmc" wrote in message
I don't remember if they gave her a hysterectomy or not.

If she had pyo, it was the only way to save her. All female animals not
purebred and intended for breeding should be spayed for their own safely.

Oh, I completely and utterly agree!

At that point though I was just trying to get the owner to do the right
thing, and find out why she was in such pain. At the time I didn't know
anything about the dog, her age, or that she wasn't spayed... I just
knew that she was being left out in the cold because she was whining too
much (!). That sort of mindset boggles my mind (she's whining in pain
so we're gonna throw her outside rather than take her to the vet,
because she might be so sick the vet'll have to put her to sleep. GAAAH!)

They shouldn't have animals but being accusatory would have likely
caused them to do nothing, and been a death sentence for the dog.

jmc
Old December 30th 09, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"dgk" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 22:15:12 -0500, Seafire
wrote:

Kelly Greene wrote:

Where are you docked now?

Mill Basin Brooklyn NY. The Marina behind the Kings Plaza Mall.

Bob

What do you do if you are the cats get sick while you're out at sea? I
guess the coast guard or something can fly in a doctor. Would they
send a vet?

I'm imagining that conversation.

Old December 31st 09, 02:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Seafire[_2_]

cybercat wrote:

I'm imagining that conversation.

This is funny. Been there done that! While crossing the Gulf of Mexico
one time I encountered a very severe storm; water spouts, hurricane
force winds, and lethal lightening. So severe that I called the Coasties
on radio and requested to be put on "watch". Meaning I would check in
with them by radio every hour, giving them position course and speed so
that if I was not heard from they would know approximately where to look
for me, or my body.

Of course, they asked me "How many souls on board" Knowing Tania, I
answered TWO. Me and Tania Braveheart (they never specified how many
HUMAN souls). We made it through the storm OK, but I can just imagine
what would have happened if they had found us adrift, and started
looking for a Tania Braveheart. It would have made the local papers I am
sure.

Bob

Old December 31st 09, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Seafire[_2_]

jmc wrote:

Good luck with your kitty, I hope she's feeling better soon!

jmc

Today, finally, four days after the surgery, Tania is EATING AND
DRINKING. I think I have my Tania back, alive and sort of well.....

She has a nice soft half-inflated pro-collar for a pillow, she is
herself again, eating, drinking and loving, and being my friend again. I
have my friend back. Oh JOY! This has been horrible, but I think I have
my friend back. I am starting to feel happy again.

All I can do is kiss, cuddle and love her..... Oh joy! Tania seems to be
back.

Eleven more days, and she can have her stitches and collar removed. This
calls for a cruise south to warmer climes!!!!

Bob
Old December 31st 09, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Seafire[_2_]

Mark Earnest wrote:

Your residence is the whole world, just like
it is for us on the Internet.

es Mark, but with that physical component intact. Tania is my connection
with physical reality. She is on the mend!!!

Bob
Old December 31st 09, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"Seafire" wrote in message
Mark Earnest wrote:

Your residence is the whole world, just like
it is for us on the Internet.

es Mark, but with that physical component intact. Tania is my connection
with physical reality. She is on the mend!!!

I know what you mean. For a long time my Siamese Fighting Fish was my
contact with the real world. Now it is my adolescent female cat,
"Avalanche." I don't really contact human beings that much either but when
it happens, it makes up for lost time.

Glad your cat is doing better.

Old January 1st 10, 08:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"Seafire" wrote in message
Phil P. wrote:

.... VERG is
expensive but its a good hospital. I know the place. For a high-risk
surgery such as Tania's, you went to the right place.

I was very impressed with the professionalism and kindness of the staff.
Very up front about diagnosis, treatment, and cost. They are available
24/7 365 days a year. Tania was admitted on Christmas eve, and operated on
Christmas day. The discharge interview was thorough, as was the discharge
report:
http://picasaweb.google.com/richard....19157150340514

I hope you've learned something from this experience and you'll get your
future cats spayed and neutered.

I think Tania is going to be my last animal companion. I am 62, and I
don't believe it's fair for a pet to outlive it's person.

Get a dynasty of gerbils or hamsters.
It's hard to outlive those.

Old January 1st 10, 07:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
starcat

"Mark Earnest" wrote in message
.. .

Get a dynasty of gerbils or hamsters.
It's hard to outlive those.

You're right about that - those guys are lucky to live more than a year or
so. I used to also have pet mice when I was in high school, which were kept
in a room away from the cats, of course. Those little babies never lived
very long, but they were lots of fun. Not as much fun as cats, though.
Nothing can replace a purring cat.

Old January 2nd 10, 05:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"starcat" wrote in message
m...

"Mark Earnest" wrote in message
.. .

Get a dynasty of gerbils or hamsters.
It's hard to outlive those.

You're right about that - those guys are lucky to live more than a year or
so. I used to also have pet mice when I was in high school, which were
kept in a room away from the cats, of course. Those little babies never
lived very long, but they were lots of fun. Not as much fun as cats,
though. Nothing can replace a purring cat.

Unfortuately for me, I loved both gerbils and cats at the same time.
You can surely guess what happened to the gerbils.