How does Hill's A/D food work?

Old September 14th 05, 07:03 AM
Mike S.

Default How does Hill's A/D food work?

I'm well aware of what Hill's Prescription A/D food is prescribed for
but how does it work? What exactly makes it better than regular cat
food? I was under the impression that this food was packed in nutrients
for animals that weren't eating and therefore much better for seriously
ill animals than regular cat food. However, the nutrient and caloric
contents are about the same as regular canned/wet cat food and I can't
figure out why this food is better for cats that aren't eating than
regular cat food. The only thing I can see that's special about this
food is that it's a bit softer/mushier than regular cat food and makes
it easier to eat/chew and use in a syringe for force feeding.

Could someone please explain how this food is supposed to work?

Old September 14th 05, 06:11 PM
Phil P.

"Mike S." wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm well aware of what Hill's Prescription A/D food is prescribed for
but how does it work? What exactly makes it better than regular cat
food? I was under the impression that this food was packed in nutrients
for animals that weren't eating and therefore much better for seriously
ill animals than regular cat food. However, the nutrient and caloric
contents are about the same as regular canned/wet cat food and I can't
figure out why this food is better for cats that aren't eating than
regular cat food. The only thing I can see that's special about this
food is that it's a bit softer/mushier than regular cat food and makes
it easier to eat/chew and use in a syringe for force feeding.

Could someone please explain how this food is supposed to work?

The only real advantage of a/d is that its syringable and a little easier on
cats that have undergone dental surgery. A/d is also a little higher in
fat. A/d is a recovery diet but Science Diet Kitten has a higher caloric
and nutrient density than a/d.

Phil