How do you pick out a cat

Old December 24th 03, 05:22 AM
Bill

Default How do you pick out a cat

My two cats died this year and I am still pretty sad about that. Someone
suggested that in looking for a cat I should get a mature one - so I could
have some idea of personality - and that seemed like a good idea. I went over
to the local PetSmart where they have some in cages up for adoption. I was
hoping one would pick me out, but no such luck. One sort of came over but when
he realized that I was unable to pet him through the bars, he went away.
Another one tries to hide, and a sign on his cage said he is afraid. I felt
sorry for him.

So how do you pick out a cat?

Thanks.

Bill

Old December 24th 03, 05:40 AM
Cathy Friedmann

In some cases, my cats have just arrived. IOW - 2 were strays, that I wound
up adopting. Another - my first one when I was 23 - I picked sight unseen
when a friend told me about a litter that a friend's cat had had - all I
knew was that there were 2 black kittens & 2 grays, & I opted for a gray. I
assumed (for some reason) that she'd be a gray tabby, but she turned out to
be solid gray when I went to get her. She was a wonderful cat, & lived to
be 17, almost 18.

One cat that I actually did pick out from the Humane Society...

I went up to look at the kittens, but also looked at the cats. One in
particular, a calico about 12 months old "struck" me, but I came home,
empty-handed/cat carriered. Wanted to see if any particular one would stick
in my mind. The calico did. So I went back for her 3 days later. She's
now 12 yrs. old. :-)

I think everyone has their own method, or not even a method, of adopting
cats &/or picking them out. And some cat adoption stories I've read said
that they picked the cat/kitten who was the scaredy-cat, & it worked out
lovely.

Good luck; there's a Petsmart here, finally, & I've gone over to see the
cats they have up for adoption while there for food & litter. Many seem to
be about 5 years old - some really gorgeous/handsome ones! There was a
beautiful long-haired dilute tortie there last weekend & she was *huge* -
one of the biggest cats I've ever seen - sort of Maine Coon sized. Others
younger & just plain cute. Hard to choose - want them all to have homes!

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

. com...

Old December 24th 03, 06:49 AM

So how do you pick out a cat?

Since you were used to having two, and are open to adopting an adult,
why don't you check with your local animal control, rescues, and humane
societies and see if they have two adult cats - that were surrendered as
a pair from the same household - up for adoption. I have a feeling that
if you were to go this route it will work out beautifully. It is often
very difficult to find homes for pairs, and terribly stressful for them
to first lose their home and then each other when it takes too long to
adopt them together and the choice is made to separate them. You have an
opportunity to do a really wonderful thing here and I hope you decide to
take it.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old December 24th 03, 07:22 AM
Cat Protector

You let the cat pick you. That is the way it works.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
. com...

Old December 24th 03, 07:47 AM
Sherry

So how do you pick out a cat?

Thanks.

Bill

Hi Bill....I'd try the municipal "pound" first. The cats there are probably
have a set death sentence...most are anywhere from 48 hours to 3 days. If
nothing there suits you, try the Humane Society. Just hang out in the cat room,
strike up a conversation with some volunteers or workers and get some insight
on individual personalities, and the "story" behind each kitty. . See who
catches your eye, and who has the personality you're looking for. Adopt two,
even! Maybe there will be siblings or a pair that gets along well there.Good
luck. Bless you.

Sherry