Why did you pick a cat over a dog?

Old February 2nd 04, 12:13 AM
Double Trouble

snip

I did not have a choice on what my decision would be, as I am tied to cats.
I walk side by side with the big cat (bengal tiger). My spirit guide is the
cat! I have tried living without cats, and it does not work for me. I am
tied to them in more ways than one. Want to talk about someone being
depressed, take my feline companions away from me. When it comes to
choosing a buddy for me, I am not allowed to choose, as they usually choose
for me. Tigger, my buddy now, chose me 5 years ago. we are inseperable and
understand each other. We are soul mates!
I do, on the other hand have a dog. I love Bear to death. He is a 80 pound
Lab/Husky mix. He is smart as a whip and very protective, but the sweetest
thing in the world. He has been fully trained, does not jump, does as he is
told to do, and gets very pouty when you are upset with him. He is very
well behaved. He is this way though because I spent hours upon hours with
him training him. Dogs need training. Cats.........they train us )

DD and Tigger

Old February 2nd 04, 12:18 AM
Bob Brenchley.

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 13:46:53 -0700, "Cat Protector"
wrote:

You can walk them with a leash and harness.

What? A Cat? They are not dogs you know so stop suggesting they can be
treated like dogs.

--
Bob.

Cats-V-Dogs

A dog thinks: Hey, these people I live with feed me, love me, provide
me with a nice warm, dry house, pet me, and take good care of me....
They must be Gods!
A cat thinks: Hey, these people I live with feed me, love me, provide
me with a nice warm, dry house, pet me, and take good care of me.... I
must be a God!

Old February 2nd 04, 12:46 AM
philo

I'm curious what made you choose cats over dogs?

Because they purrrrrrr !

Old February 2nd 04, 12:46 AM
philo

Old February 2nd 04, 03:06 AM
Ted Davis

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 08:52:01 -0800, "Agua Girl"
wrote:

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 01:23:30 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
wrote:

I'm curious what made you choose cats over dogs?

10) Cats are dangerous pets, but are not capable of doing as much
serious damage as dogs.

I'm not so sure about that. I never hear about anyone declawing
a dog :-)

Dogs don't have razor sharp claws, but cats can't break large bones
with their teeth - When Odin does his job of possum control, there is
a sickening crunching sound involved - no cat can do that kind of
damage.

9) Cats are low maintenance.
8) Cats are prettier and more photogenic.

I've seen some ugly cats and some very pretty dogs. It's all
in the eye of the beholder.

Even ugly cats can give beautiful pictures, though Punkin did
regularly break the camera - the automatic focus wouldn't work on her.

7) Cats don't jump all over me with muddy paws when I feed them
(though they do walk all over me with muddy paws when I'm in bed).

Dogs are more trainable, more eager to please. How many working
"cats" have you seen? My Golden never jumped up on people unless
invited to do so.

About half of my cats are working cats: mousers - they have a job to
do and they do it well. The rest of them are loafers.

I finally broke Brandy of jumping on me, but Odin still thinks it's
cool to try to knock me down whenever I go into the containment area.

1) I've never been bitten by a rabid cat, but I have by a rabid dog.
None the less, I had to get two large (~60 pound) dogs to control the
raccoons and possums that were coming through the cat flap to eat the
cats' food. The dogs are expensive and I really don't like them much,
but they do what they are here to do.

I agree to the more expensive and as pets they are much more high
maitenance. You should get to know your dogs. They are amazing
companions. Most of them will do almost anything to please. I have
a lot of exposure to working dogs and I am constantly amazed at what
they can do. I love dogs. To me they are much more companionable
than cats....but they can also take up a lot more space in your life.

If I didn't have to have them to keep the coons and possums at bay, I
wouldn't. One thing I have learned about living out in the country is
that there are reasons why just about everybody who lives out here has
both cats and dogs: if you have just cats, the coons and possums will
eat their food (and the garden); if you have only dogs, the mice will
eat and spoil theirs. I have two dogs so they can have their own
social structure without too much input on my part. Good thing they
*really* like each other. They don't bark nearly as much as a solo
dog would.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)

Old February 2nd 04, 08:04 AM
Charlene Mann

Ablang wrote:
I'm curious what made you choose cats over dogs?

snip

Because all the cats in my life have in one way or another chosen /me/
as well. Because on returning from a near-death food-poisoning
experience (most likely due to contaminated mayo on the fast-food
burger) I "came to" on the mattress to find my hostess' Maine Coon cat
Krittur (I was visiting friends and miles from home when that pizen hit
me brain) cuddled up /directly on my Heart chakra/, purring to beat the
band. (The experience was as of being "called back" to my body by the
cat. Go Figure.)

Because my first conscious experience of direct mind-to-mind contact,
yars later, was with Issa, another cat. (This quite unexpected event
was not at all unlike the Tai Chi "Pushing Hands" exercise; Go Figure
Again.) Because when I meditate Theravadan-style, the cat provides
simple, reliable feedback. (Got a correctly stilled mind a-going? Cat
stays in the lap. Sudden distractive perturbation "vibe" in the
s'posed-ta-bee steadied and meditating mind? Middy-Boo delivers a
strong, non-physical "Ping" {more like a "WHOMP!", really} to the Heart
Chakra, _then_ stirs and leaps away.) (Still figuring, Friend?)

Because a dog cannot function nearly as well (read, "at all") as the
Chief Rodent Control Officer in either of the two large downtown
commercial buildings I maintain, and are in fact held in general
disfavor by most owners of such structures as these due to their
unacceptable excretory behavior patterns when kept indoors, all
vermin-huntng skills notwithstanding. Because the cat often works
smarter (not harder) than either of the two other (semi-marginal by
nature and inclination) members of my current maintenance/security
"crew". (Anecdotal evidence suppressed to avoid any appearance of /ad
hominum/ denigration of the goodly cat-loving hoomuns involved, both of
whom I must needs interface daily with in order to live well.)

Because as one poster (he manifestly being most strong indeed and most
generally wise besides, methinks) sig'd using another more clever
wording, when both cats and dogs are well-treated, the dogs invariably
concludes that the hoomuns must be gods - and the cats inevitably
realize /their own/ eternally Divine nature instead of going all abject
and servile, as does a "god spell'd back'ards" every time.

Because I am a Spiritual Egyptian as well as genetically
Iroquois/Cherokee - and woe betide any minion of Rome who commits the
Eror of Bubastis in MY Holy Temple of Industry! (At least one Roman
soldier, new to ancient {albeit then-modern} Egypt, is reputedly on
record as having been formally tried and executed under the then-current
Egyptian criminal code after having accidentally or gratuitously
{accounts vary} somehow slain a cat in that City Most Holye to the
Spiritual Catness and Cattitude in All Things.)

Because I enjoy an Inner heritage (aka karma) that includes Dragon,
Goat, Snake, and Cat in its constitution. (All are "Good Medicine" in
their own way, each according to their nature.) Of the four, the Cat is
both the most affectionate and, for YT at least, both the most practical
and the easiest by far to keep.

Enjoy the thoughts. Namasté! Now I say no more. (Purrr...)

--
Cordially,

Rev. Pastor Charlene Mann, ULC
(who has already started one smart church and prevented or stopped
several stupid fights)
and Middy-Boo too
(Who LOVES the *.cats NGs, keeps returning to alt.lucky.w, and dreams of
the day He gains Opposable Thumbs.)

"Meow meow Fluffy owns Usenet Middy-Boo grants all access and C-80
collects the access fees meow meow! purrr..."

(Grin.)

Old February 2nd 04, 06:21 PM
KiaSidhe

dunno. just don't like dogs.

i got my kitten cause it was living outside of where i work (walmart) and
our MATURE truck crew was throwing water at her to keep her out of the
docking bay.
she was probably thrown out by someone, and she came there when she smelled
spilled catfood.

then i found out she was not only thrown-water-at, but, she was kicked at.
and kicked (hit). so i told my fiancee to go get her.

he actually clocked out an hour early to get her and bring her home.

now she's the little heathen she was supposed to be.

----julia, and skittles (the cat, who is on my lap)

"Ablang" wrote in message
I'm curious what made you choose cats over dogs?

I prefer cats because I don't have to bathe them every so often. I also
like how I don't have to walk them (dogs love to get their paws all dirty
and roll around in gunk). Cats are usually smaller, and therefore eat

less
and have smaller poops. I just think generally that cats are more
attractive graceful creatures that naturally smell good. But let's hear
your thoughts on cats vs dogs.

--
"Hilary Duff is the covergirl for an international youth industry" --
Unknown

View the countdown for when Hilary Duff turns 18 (I know you're waiting

for
it):

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/...&month=09&year
=2005&hour=00&m

The next T-shirt slogan (seriously): "Is it chicken or is it tuna?"