Worrying...

Old July 3rd 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Worrying...

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

....Or even clinical depression - you might not even be conscious of
being depressed - but one of the more common symptoms is lack of
energy, so even the simplest tasks seem "too much trouble". ....Like the
friend of mine who lived for several months before his death
(heart-attack, not suicide) with no hot water, because it was just too
much effort to call a plumber to replace the water heater. (It wasn't
lack of funds - he had plenty of money for normal repairs and upkeep.)

Wow, I've felt unmotivated like that at times, but not since my 20s.

I do feel like some things are "too much effort" - especially my work.
I've been working very hard, extra hours, and under stress, for the past
few months, so maybe this is just finally getting to me.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old July 3rd 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kylatte =^. .^=` wrote:

Have you had a thyroid test?

I had one last night, got the lab results today. It looks normal, but
I haven't had a doctor's interpretation of the numbers, so I'm not sure.

It also 'might' be the smog.

I can understand smog (or smoke from fires) can give you headaches,
but can it make you tired? I don't hear anyone else complaining about
being exhausted like I am. Yesterday I was driving to work, and got
to my favorite part of the commute, which is the long drive across a
bridge over the Bay. It was a gorgeous, sunny, very clear day, also,
cool and breezy, and I thought it would be a nice day for a boat ride
on the bay, rather than working. But then I thought that such a
boat ride would be exhausting, and I'd rather be in bed. Now that's
sad.

'Please', for your own peace of mind, get a CO monitor.

Got one! No CO in my place, yay!

Is it really hot where you are? That might add to your symptoms.

It's been very cool, breezy and comfy around here since early in the
weekend.

Try NOT to worry..that will make it worse.

Thanks!

Old July 3rd 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

tanadashoes wrote:

The odds are that what you have isn't CO poisoning. There are many
conditions with the same or similar symptoms, including depression. So, by
this time you should know what is going on, so please let us know how you
are doing. I'll be thinking of you.

Thanks! I had tests, it's not CO, but I'm not sure what it is. Not all
the results are in, nor have I discussed any of it with a doctor.

Old July 3rd 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

I'd ask for the test this evening, but I suspect your problem has other
causes, particularly since you feel just as bad away from home. Many things
could cause your symptoms. It could be anemia, for instance.

You're right that it's something else, not CO, but it's also not anemia,
as my blood count looked normal. So I don't know what it is.

Thanks for the response.

Old July 3rd 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:04:35 +0000, bastXXXette wrote:

John F. Eldredge wrote:

Disrupted sleep patterns, for any of many different reasons, can also
cause such fatigue. The sudden onset makes it unlikely to be apnea,
which is a chronic condition. Has there been an unusual amount of
background noise, such as noisy neighbors or road construction having
directed more traffic than usual past your home?

Actually, I was diagnosed with very mild apnea in 1998. And I used a
CPAP for a year or so, but I found it didn't help much. I had so much
trouble with the mask (too loose, and it slipped to the side and then I
wasn't getting the air in the right place, too tight and I woke up with
headaches and deep red welts on my face), and waking up all tangled in
the hose. Even after many months of giving myself time to get used to
it, I found that it disrupted my sleep. I concluded that the amount of
improvement was slight enough that it didn't overcome the inconvenience
factor of sleeping with a vacuum cleaner on my face. (At least,
that's how it seemed to look to Roxy, who was quite shocked the first
time she saw me using it.)

However, a lot can happen in 10 years, so I asked for a sleep study from
my HMO. I was there yesterday to be tested for CO poisoning (which was
negative, btw!). The doctor I saw (not my regular doc) ordered a sleep
study for me, so we'll see. I agree that the sudden onset seems odd, but
a couple of weeks ago I shared a hotel room with my sister, and she
reported that I stopped breathing quite a few times in my sleep, and I
also snored and made other odd noises. She's a medical professional and
thought I probably had sleep apnea.

The air quality might have affected me somewhat, but nobody else is
complaining about being extremely tired. I'm not having any trouble
breathing or sore throat, etc. Just tired and headachy.

If it does turn out to be apnea, there are a wide variety of face-mask
types, so you will hopefully be able to find one that fits you well
(unfortunately, there will be some likely be some discomfort with
whatever type you select, and will have to get used to it). If you do
have to get a CPAP machine, make sure that you get one with a humidifier
chamber for the air to pass through. I have used both machines with
humidifiers (at home) and without (at the hospital), and find that the
non-humidified ones dry my mouth and throat unpleasantly.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old July 3rd 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

John F. Eldredge wrote:

If it does turn out to be apnea, there are a wide variety of face-mask
types, so you will hopefully be able to find one that fits you well
(unfortunately, there will be some likely be some discomfort with
whatever type you select, and will have to get used to it). If you do
have to get a CPAP machine, make sure that you get one with a humidifier
chamber for the air to pass through. I have used both machines with
humidifiers (at home) and without (at the hospital), and find that the
non-humidified ones dry my mouth and throat unpleasantly.

I had a humidifier for my old CPAP, because, yes, without it I woke
up all parched and raspy in my throat and bronchial tubes. Over time
that would probably have a terrible effect. But involving water meant
I had to be more scrupulous about cleaning the equipment, and that
became quite a pain. All for very little reward. But I'm thinking now
that maybe the apnea is worse, so the reward will actually make the
nuisances worthwhile.

Old July 3rd 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote in message
Yesterday I was driving to work, and got to my favorite part of the
commute, which is the long drive across a bridge over the Bay. It was
a gorgeous, sunny, very clear day, also, cool and breezy, and I
thought it would be a nice day for a boat ride on the bay, rather
than working. But then I thought that such a boat ride would be
exhausting, and I'd rather be in bed. Now that's sad.

Now that is sad. Even thinking about that bit of the drive makes me
feel good.

Enjoy it for me, OK? Until you feel better and can enjoy it for
yourself again.

Jo

Old July 3rd 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jofirey wrote:

wrote in message

Yesterday I was driving to work, and got to my favorite part of the
commute, which is the long drive across a bridge over the Bay. It was
a gorgeous, sunny, very clear day, also, cool and breezy, and I
thought it would be a nice day for a boat ride on the bay, rather
than working. But then I thought that such a boat ride would be
exhausting, and I'd rather be in bed. Now that's sad.

Now that is sad. Even thinking about that bit of the drive makes me
feel good.

Have you spent much time in the Bay Area? This is the San Mateo
bridge I'm talking about. It spans the widest part of the bay and
is about 8 miles long. Very peaceful and pretty, most days.

Enjoy it for me, OK? Until you feel better and can enjoy it for
yourself again.

I did enjoy the drive. Just didn't think I had the energy for a boat
ride, pleasant as that sounds.