KFC - The vets' side of the story

Old May 3rd 09, 11:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default KFC - The vets' side of the story

Actually I am not sorry at all that emails were sent to the vet. *It did not
hurt him to have his decision challenged, it may have been a surprise, it is
true, but that is a good thing.
Professionals sometime need their practice challenged and it does them good
to defend their decisions.

Tweed

I've kept out of this debate so far. But now I'm giving my $0.02.

The vet has put up a good argument for his case, however I don't know
that it was neccessarily the right one (no one does, because none of
us where there) and Tweeds argument is equally if not more valid. I
also completely agree with Tweed when she says it has probably done a
lot of good for the vet to have his decision challenged. It might make
him think harder about his course of action next time, or he may,
indeed know that he did the best thing for KFC's welfare and be able
to tell Tweed that and exactly why. I feel that a great deal of the
anguish surrounding this is the fact that actually, KFC's human
*should* have been the one to take the decision to send KFC over the
bridge and say farewell when *she* felt the time was right. That is
something I feel great empathy for Tweed for, because heaven forbid I
should ever be in the same situation where someone I don't know, or
trust, makes an executive decision like that on my behalf.

My vets dread my visits for the very reason that I question and grill
them. Fortunately, my feline vet is now (very) used to me and explains
everything in full before I ask.He's built up my trust of him over
several years, so I'm a little more relaxed with him now when he
suggests something, but I still question. My canine vets (I use a
different practice for the dogs) are learning how I expect things done
with my animals and are starting to accept me questioning their
treatment protocols. I still wouldn't let them touch my cats though -
the irony being that they are the emergency treatment practice for my
feline vet!! They are extremely competent and good, but I still don't
*trust* them.

My own personal view on the subject is that the neighbour who "was
involved in rescue" (as said by the vets), disapproved of the way
Tweed was treating KFC, felt that she should have gone to the Bridge
long before now, saw her opportunity when she saw KFC outside and
seized it to do what she felt was the right thing with complete
disregard for anything else. The reason I say that, is because I know
D*MN well, that if I went to my vets with a *stray cat* and lied about
her origins, I am well known enough by my vets that they take my word
for what I say. I've *done* it. My neighbour over the road had a long
haired cat who was very matted and she wasn't being groomed. So...I
kidnapped her one day, took her to the vets, claimed she was a stray
that had been hanging around and got her clipped and groomed. That is
a very minor thing to do, but my point is that it is easily done once
you are well known as a rescuer by a particular vet. The vets who
dealt with KFC probably took the "rescuer" at her word, and acted on
what she told them. I can categorically state that if I, as a well
known rescuer, went to either of my vets with KFC in the frail
condition she was, said (lied) she was a stray, and had got a
reference/log number from the RSPCA for treatment of "a stray", they
would have made the EXACT same call.

My only hope is that the vets have had a SERIOUS wake up call.
Hopefully they will change their procedures and think twice about
their actions before they make a decision that has irreversable
consequences.

Helen M

Old May 3rd 09, 12:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

wrote in
:

[...]

I had pretty much the same suspicions about the good samaritan (and said
so) but it will be harder to figure it out now that the vet was warned
something was up and had time to cover themselves. A better first
contact with the vet MIGHT have allowed some real info to be "extracted".

In the end, however, there _is_ a person who could have prevented this
from happening and it is not the vet. It is one thing to decide NOT to
vent anger at a friend to spare them hurt. It is another to redirect
that anger to a much less guilty party.

Old May 3rd 09, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CN

"outsider" wrote in message
"CN" wrote in

I wonder who the next victim of this mob will be.

You're an ass and, hopefully, Tweed will ignore your hateful, hurtful
blather.

Lori

Old May 3rd 09, 10:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On May 2, 6:33*pm, "CN" wrote:

*Yes, elderly cats can deteriorate very
quickly, but I think, had she been given fluids and a safe place to rest,
she could have been comfortable for a few days longer at least - long enough
to be reunited with you.

To be fair to the vet- they said "where possible, we give first
aid & give the patient's owner time to come forward"

In the case of KFC they plainly thought first aid would not be
appropriate...you can diasgree if you want to but they obviously
thought there was nothing they could do to keep KFC comfortable while
they tried to find her owner and as none of us were there we really
cannot say..It would have been nice if they could have but I think
they did what they thought was best. Nothing is ever perfect is it?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old May 3rd 09, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

I am still utterly baffled as to why KFC had a collar but no tag.

What on earth is the point of a collar if it doesn't have some
identifying information on it?

We haven't had our cats wearing collars for a while now, since
the ones most likely to get lost are unmistakably distinctive.
When we did, Marion embroidered our phone number on the fabric of
the collar so no tag was necessary. High-tech sewing machines
have their uses.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Old May 3rd 09, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On May 3, 2:58*pm, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:

When we did, Marion embroidered our phone number on the fabric of
the collar so no tag was

I want you to do my indoor cats collars because they are after this
being both chipped and colllared..You may have the start of a business
here! Customised embroidered collars

Old May 4th 09, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On May 3, 5:40*am, outsider wrote:
"CN" wrote in

Actually I am not sorry at all that emails were sent to the vet. *It
did not hurt him to have his decision challenged, it may have been a
surprise, it is true, but that is a good thing.
Professionals sometime need their practice challenged and it does
them good to defend their decisions.

Tweed

Hopefully, if he ever again has somebody bring in a "stray" cat that
has on a collar (as KFC had on), he will keep the cat alive for as
long as possible so that an owner might be found. *Yes, elderly cats
can deteriorate very quickly, but I think, had she been given fluids
and a safe place to rest, she could have been comfortable for a few
days longer at least - long enough to be reunited with you.

No! *Hopefully the vet will do what is best for the cat! *

It may well be that KFC needed to be euthanized, but to take away the
chance for an owner to be there to comfort her pet as she makes that
passage, and to say a final goodbye - that's tragic. *

Which owner would that be? *The one who did not have a chip or tag on the
cat? *The one the vet had no way of finding?

I know what it
would do to me to imagine one of my loved ones frightened and alone
with strangers in a strange place as she took her last breaths... I
can't reach out to hug you, but my arms ache to do that - my heart
goes out to you, Christina.

I don't think any of this was done with malice - it was probably all
done with the best of intentions, but a wrong was still done. *If he
is a decent vet, indeed if he is just a decent human being, he will
understand the upset and outrage his actions caused.

The vet's actions caused??!!

When all is said and done, getting a few abusive emails may be
momentarily upsetting, but will cause nowhere near the amount of pain
he, with his good intentions, has caused you.

The vet's good intentions caused? *Again?

HIS/HER JOB IS CARING FOR THE CAT!

All that said, what *I* wish is that everyone would pipe down about
all this extraneous nonsense (as I promise to do after this post) and
focus on comforting a bereaved friend.

Now that LAURIE has gotten the last word, everyone stop talking. *

*Christina, I understand all

too well what you're going through - email me if you'd like to talk or
just rage for a while.

Hugs,

CatNipped

You know Tweed, I really am sorry that this will hurt you but there is
still no proof that this vet (he or she) did anything but the best they
could do for KFC. *It _is_ possible wrong was done but since everyone had
to email the vet and "warn" them you will never get the chance to walk
into the office unexpectedly and actually see their faces when you tell
them who you are. *Even so I find it hard to fault the vet and sending a
mob of email whacks at the vet was wrong no matter what you think. *This
is not a legal point but a moral point. *This was NOT the vets fault. *
You had some wonderful times with KFC but you did not get to say goodbye
which IS a tragedy but it was not authored by this vet.

I wonder who the next victim of this mob will be.

If I were the vet I would say that she was dying when she came in
also. I don't think we'll aver know the truth of this but you are as
fast to jump to the vet's defense, with no evidence but what the vet
says, as people were to condemn the vet.

Nothing happened to your precious vet/victim except for getting some
upset emails.

--
Will in New Haven
Old May 4th 09, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Will in New Haven wrote in
:

*
You had some wonderful times with KFC but you did not get to say

goodbye
which IS a tragedy but it was not authored by this vet.

I wonder who the next victim of this mob will be.

If I were the vet I would say that she was dying when she came in
also. I don't think we'll aver know the truth of this but you are as
fast to jump to the vet's defense, with no evidence but what the vet
says, as people were to condemn the vet.

Nothing happened to your precious vet/victim except for getting some
upset emails.

--
Will in New Haven

"precious vet/victim"? Grow up.

Old May 4th 09, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"CN" wrote in news:7664e5F1blkghU1
@mid.individual.net:

"outsider" wrote in message
"CN" wrote in

I wonder who the next victim of this mob will be.

You're an ass and, hopefully, Tweed will ignore your hateful, hurtful
blather.

Lori

You need help.

Old May 4th 09, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

wrote:

When we did, Marion embroidered our phone number on the fabric of
the collar so no tag was

I want you to do my indoor cats collars because they are after this
being both chipped and colllared..You may have the start of a business
here! Customised embroidered collars

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

If you use collars, please be sure only to use breakaway collars.
Otherwise, collars can become entwined and even strangle a cat. That is
especially important for outdoor cats. (This is something you probably
already know...but I thought it was a good opportunity to remind everyone.)

MaryL