Should I take her back to the vet?

Old June 4th 04, 07:07 PM
Nord Stjern

Default Should I take her back to the vet?

It's been pretty much business as usual around my house, until I took
in my last foster cat.

Mina was turned in at my vet with the request 'euthanize as we are
moving out of state'. Mina is two years old, so the vet called me to
ask whether I could take her and put her up for adoption. They spayed
her on Tuesday and I picked her up on Wednesday. Put her up in a spare
bedroom in my house. She was a little frightened so I just checked in
on her regularly, but left her alone. Thursday afternoon I sat on the
floor and waited for her to come out - which she did, but she went
right ahead and bit my hand!?!? So I just freshend up her water and
food and left. When I came home Thursday evening, she had peed all
over the bedroom - and the room smelled absolutely HORRIBLE. I deal
frequently with cat urine, but this smell was worse than anything I
have experienced before. Aside from the fact that it was a nightmare
to catch her and cage her (I've honestly never seen a pet behave like
this, even when scared, only feral cats), I'm wondering whether I need
to have her seen by a vet. I'm sort of trying to avoid it, as I don't
want to stress her out any more...if I were dealing with a freshly
neutered male, I wouldn't worry. Can an unaltered females urine smell
as bad (or worse) than an unaltered male's?

Thanks!

Nordstjern
Old June 4th 04, 07:30 PM

id take her in just to see if its an infection...thats the one time my
girls pee smelled horrible. sort of odd behavior...considering the
family brought her in but i guess its possible she was abused? maybe
you should feed her by putting bowl in cage and leaving door
open....definitely give the vet a ring to see if he might be able to
help(possibly gie you medicine and avoid a trip) and also see if he has
any past experience with this cat/owners.

Old June 4th 04, 11:35 PM
Kat...

Nord Stjern wrote:

[...]

Take her back to the vet - she is in pain & stressed right out.
She probably has an infection & needs antibiotics.
Could also have a UTI... It happens...

She needs tending to by a vet as soon as possible...

Cats don't normally bite like that...
She may not know you enough to trust you or she is hurting very badly.

Yes the urine can smell just as bad as an unaltered tom...
You should have put her in a room where if she pees it won't cause
a problem & can be cleaned up & deoderized - like a bathroom with a
litter pan. A room with a vinyl floor & nothing in the room that her
urine can soak into & stay...

Kat...

Old June 7th 04, 08:32 PM
Nord Stjern

"Kat..." wrote :
Nord Stjern wrote:
snipped introduction I'm wondering whether I need
to have her seen by a vet. I'm sort of trying to avoid it, as I don't
want to stress her out any more...if I were dealing with a freshly
neutered male, I wouldn't worry. Can an unaltered females urine smell
as bad (or worse) than an unaltered male's?

Yes the urine can smell just as bad as an unaltered tom...
You should have put her in a room where if she pees it won't cause
a problem & can be cleaned up & deoderized - like a bathroom with a
litter pan. A room with a vinyl floor & nothing in the room that her
urine can soak into & stay...

Mina finally calmed down after I caged her - so I did not take her to
a vet on Saturday. She had used the litterbox overnight and I managed
to peek at her spay incision, and it was not swollen or red.

I had initially set her up in a bathroom, but she tried to climb the
walls and windows, so after listening to her going crazy overnight I
was afraid she would get hurt and moved her to a bedroom. It just
looks as if she is VERY upset about being removed from her home. She
still growls when I approach the cage, but as the litterbox and
foodbowls are on the lower level (it's a three story 'condo'), I can
clean/refresh without getting attacked. Sort of makes me wonder what
kind of home it was anyways...

Thanks for your advice,

Nordstjern