Peeing outside litter box

Old June 3rd 05, 05:54 AM

Default Peeing outside litter box

I have a 12 month old female (and two siblings) who I found at two
months old. This cat has herpes and gingivitis (or some tooth problem).
Recently, she started peeing outside of her litter box (twice a day)
and I can't figure out why. She has been to the vet and a UTI (or
similar) has been ruled out.

Sometimes she will go look/sniff around the litterbox, get in the
litterbox, and then leave the area and goes play. It's almost like
something isn't right to her. The litter boxes are always kept clean
and she urinates out of the box even when fresh litter is in them. When
she pees on the floor, I always clean it with a special enzyme cleaner
such as Nature's Miracle.

The vet doesn't want to do any blood tests right yet because she
doesn't want to stress out this cat right now because of her URI. She
wants to try a few other things first.

So far we think the urinating may be due to one or more of the
following:
tooth/gum pain
post-nasal drip
sore throat
nasal congestion
possible constipation
possible stomach acid

Nothing in her living conditions has changed like a new food or new
routine. Right now her and her two siblings are confined to a room as
part of introducing them to the resident cat. They've been in the room
for several weeks and have met the old cat and they all like him.
However, the resident cat is afraid of them and will hiss if they get
too close but has never attacked them. I do let them all out together
for a few hours each day but I make sure to supervise them all.

She does have problems (URI) and several symptoms due to that such as:
tooth/gum pain, post-nasal drip, nasal congestion, watery eyes and
underdevelopment. Some of her adult teeth haven't grown in and some of
her kitten teeth are still there. The vet thinks that these adult teeth
will never grow in and the remaining teeth will fall out or have to be
pulled out. Her gums are red and inflamed and I believe they hurt her.
She puts up a huge fight and meows when anyone tries to look in her
mouth. Her lower jaws seems to be underdeveloped (or receding). All the
cats have been tested for FeLV/FIV and are negative. No one did any
testing for FIP as I guess that's fairly uncommon (?). Her two siblings
are in fairly good health. Though, one sibling did die at around two
months old from what appeared to be a bacterial infection and/or
possibly pneumonia.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be?

Old June 3rd 05, 06:47 PM
Karen

in article ,
at wrote on 6/2/05 11:54
PM:

[...]

Sounds like she is dealing with a LOT of stress in her little life. I would
1) add a second catbox with unscented litter
2) buy Feliway dispensers to see if it helps her stress levels.
3) add a humidifier to help with breathing/congestion issues she may be
facing.

Old June 4th 05, 05:01 AM
EmonyDax

You didn't indicate whether your cat was long or short hair. I mention this
because I have a 10-year-old Persian who has been peeing outside the litter
pan her whole life. She lives with two American shorthair (i.e. alley
cats). Here are a few options that have worked for me.

1. I spent several years with the litter pans in the tub in the spare
bathroom (for easy hose down).

2. The last couple of years I moved the litter boxes to the utility room
and placed a bed pad just outside the box. She used it exclusively. I
would buy the 23 x 36 pads and cut them in half. Each day when I cleaned
the litter pans, I replaced the pad.

3. About six months ago my vet clued me in to the real solution.
Long-haired cats often don't like the feel of the litter pan against their
fur. Even though I had two very large pans, apparently her fur still
"touched." My vet suggested I buy one of those under-the-bed plastic
storage boxes, the largest possible. Obviously, don't waste money on the
fancy one with a hinged top -- you only need the bottom. My Persian hasn't
failed to use the new pan since the first day I filled it. In fact, all
three have no problem sharing the one large pan.

Old June 4th 05, 10:08 AM

EmonyDax wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all that replied.

My cat is somewhere between long and short haired. Actually, I think it
may be a matter of her still having her "kitten fur". The litter box
I'm using isn't really a litter box at all. It's one of those plastic
storage containers with short sides like a litter box but it's much
bigger/wider. I had to get one when one of cat's stomach got very large
from fluid (liver disease or cancer) and he had trouble with the small
litter boxes. I liked the storage containers so much that I replaced
two out of four litter boxes with them.

But the situation has gotten a bit more strange. Today, the cat was out
playing in the house (rather than being confined to the one room) and
she came upon an unused, clean litter box. She looked as if she wanted
to use it, sniffed around and left. She then went to her own litter
box, just down the hall and she did the same thing and didn't use it.
It's so odd. It seems like if she was trying to communicate a problem
to me that she would've either used it or urinated on the floor but she
did neither. Not only that, but early in the day I saw her urinate in
her own litter box.

It's very strange. She's very strange.

Two thoughts just occured to me.

1) A day or two prior to her urinating out of her box, I added a litter
mat at one side of the box. None of the cats liked it so I covered it
with a small towel that I had been using there instead so they could
used to the feel of the new mat without really having to feel it. And
that's when the cat started peeing on the floor. I removed the mats and
used the special enzyme cleaner but she's still goes on the floor.

2) Since she's an inside cat now, I've been trimming/cutting her claws
every 6-8 days or so with special cat/kitten clippers. I haven't made
her or her siblings bleed and I haven't hurt them, yet. But the silly
cat hates it when I trim her claws. She meows as if I'm hurting her but
I can't see how I am unless she's just extra sensitive. She was using
the litter box just fine after trimming her claws but maybe it's
bothering her now?

Old June 6th 05, 06:15 AM

[...]

I thought I'd give a little update since I have nothing else better to
do

The cat has been on an antihistamine (1 mg of Chlorpheniramine Maleate
once a day) for three or four days now. It was either the night or
night after I started giving it to her that she started urinating
somewhere else. She now goes in the bathtub. I guess that's better than
on the bathroom floor but it's still not acceptable. I did see her use
her litter box once yesterday.

Maybe tomorrow she'll start going in the toilet. That would be nice.