Can you name a cat DUKE?

Old June 14th 08, 01:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Default Can you name a cat DUKE?

Yowie wrote:
Bridget wrote:
I don't know what my meezers name was before I got him, but the name
that keeps coming to me for him is "Duke". He is a large cat - very
long and very tall and probably weighs in at close to 13 pounds. His
whole stance is BIG and his attitude is surly although in reality, he
is a sweetie. He will sometimes cuss like a sailor if I pick him up
to hold him, but no matter what I do to him, he never struggles
against. He just makes it sound like he is going to slash my throat
with his non-existent claws or bite the crap out of me. And then
once I sit down with him, he purrs like crazy. Talked about mixed
messages. I've had him six days now and the only name that keeps coming
through
consistently is Duke. It just seems like that is a dogs name and
shouldn't be used on a cat. Opinions please. Is Duke an okay cat
name?

Dunno why you are asking *us*. LOL! If he is telling you his name is
Duke, then his name is Duke, and 'fooey' to any d-thing that takes
offence!.
Yowie

Exactly! LOL.

kili

Old June 14th 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Bridget" wrote in message
I don't know what my meezers name was before I got him, but the name
that keeps coming to me for him is "Duke". He is a large cat - very
long and very tall and probably weighs in at close to 13 pounds. His
whole stance is BIG and his attitude is surly although in reality, he
is a sweetie. He will sometimes cuss like a sailor if I pick him up to
hold him, but no matter what I do to him, he never struggles against.
He just makes it sound like he is going to slash my throat with his
non-existent claws or bite the crap out of me. And then once I sit
down with him, he purrs like crazy. Talked about mixed messages.

I've had him six days now and the only name that keeps coming through
consistently is Duke. It just seems like that is a dogs name and
shouldn't be used on a cat. Opinions please. Is Duke an okay cat name?

Yes, of course. I know a cat named Rover, as a matter of fact.

Actually, he sounds a lot like a dog I knew named Duke, pronounced "DOOK."
DOOK was a pitbull with a permanent scowl, who loved kittens.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old June 14th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bridget[_4_]

On Jun 14, 3:45 am, "Kyla =^. .^=`" wrote:
"MatSav"

"Bridget"
I don't know what my meezers name was before I got him, but the name
that keeps coming to me for him is "Duke"....

I've had him six days now and the only name that keeps coming through
consistently is Duke. It just seems like that is a dogs name and
shouldn't be used on a cat. Opinions please. Is Duke an okay cat name?

Cats have three names. The name by which others call him, the name that
other cats use for him, and the name which only they know.

So, you can call him Duke, if you like. It really won't matter to him!

--
MatSav

Wow, I remember hearing about that G
what is a 'meezer' anyway? Just curious...
and what does UB mean?
Kyla
also up late

Since I wrote the message, i would be glad to tell you what UB means,
except I can't find it anywhere, so can't put it in context. Please
quote the relevant passage so I can tell you what I MEANT to spell .

Bridget
Old June 14th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jun 14, 2:10*am, Bridget wrote:
I don't know what my meezers name was before I got him, but the name
that keeps coming to me for him is "Duke". He is a large cat - very
long and very tall and probably weighs in at close to 13 pounds. His
whole stance is BIG and his attitude is surly although in reality, he
is a sweetie. He will sometimes cuss like a sailor if I pick him up to
hold him, but no matter what I do to him, he never struggles against.
He just makes it sound like he is going to slash my throat with his
non-existent claws or bite the crap out of me. And then once I sit
down with him, he purrs like crazy. Talked about mixed messages.

I've had him six days now and the only name that keeps coming through
consistently is Duke. It just seems like that is a dogs name and
shouldn't be used on a cat. Opinions please. Is Duke an okay cat name?

Bridget

Haven't met a feline "Duke" yet! I guess it's a cute name for a
boycat. Except
I always hang the "e" sound as a nickname: Like Franky, Booty, Bikkie,
etc.
"Dooky" sounds kinda bad :-)

Sherry
Old June 14th 08, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Jun 14, 3:10 am, Bridget wrote:
I don't know what my meezers name was before I got him, but the name
that keeps coming to me for him is "Duke". He is a large cat - very
long and very tall and probably weighs in at close to 13 pounds. His
whole stance is BIG and his attitude is surly although in reality, he
is a sweetie. He will sometimes cuss like a sailor if I pick him up to
hold him, but no matter what I do to him, he never struggles against.
He just makes it sound like he is going to slash my throat with his
non-existent claws or bite the crap out of me. And then once I sit
down with him, he purrs like crazy. Talked about mixed messages.

I've had him six days now and the only name that keeps coming through
consistently is Duke. It just seems like that is a dogs name and
shouldn't be used on a cat. Opinions please. Is Duke an okay cat name?

By allowing you to call him Duke he is showing that he is willing to
accept a slight demotion. ALL cats are at least PRINCES. However, he
has chosen and you must obey.

--
Will in New Haven

Old June 14th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Yes, of course. *I know a cat named Rover, as a matter of fact.

Jim the Gardener once had a cat called Dog

And I think Duke is trying to tell you that is what he would like you
to call him- you have no choice in this matter

Besides you're asking someone whose cats very definitely told them
they would like to be called Redunzel and Sarrasine?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old June 14th 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Bridget" wrote in message
[...]

Meezer's often have dog like personality traits.

Ours have been Dammit Sam, Henry, and Jake.

Duke may very well suit the tough guy he pretends to be.

Jo

Old June 14th 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debby Hanoka[_2_]

Not if you're a North Carolina fan g

Why not name the cat Rutgers? g

Debby
Old June 14th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=`

"Debby Hanoka

what is a 'meezer' anyway? Just curious...
and what does UB mean?
Kyla
also up late

Meezer is slang for a Siamese cat, but I don't know what UB means
either.

Debby

Oh, okay, thanks for clearing that up G
We had a Sealpoint meezer a very long time ago name of Phoebe,
who went into heat...boy the yowls she gave were intense.
She went to TED the next day to get fixed.
Hug
Kyla

Old June 14th 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=`

"Daniel Mahoney"

and what does UB mean?
Kyla
also up late

UB means "under breath", as if the comment marked with "UB" had been
muttered softly.

Oh, okay, that makes sense, thanks for clearing that up G
Hug
Kyla