Sophie Cat versus Sophie Dog

Old November 15th 04, 12:43 AM
D. R. Crawford

Default Sophie Cat versus Sophie Dog

Many thousands of years ago when I was young (well, it feels like it anyway)
a friend of mine had a Siamese cat named Sophie. She and Sophie were living
in a house where there was a dog, also named Sophie. The two animals got
along pretty well, but Sophie Cat would occasionally torment Sophie Dog just
for the hell of it (typical female :-)

One night a bunch of us were sitting around talking in the living room and
we became aware that Sophie Cat was using an ottoman as a "hunting blind"
to help her annoy Sophie Dog. The ottoman had a fringe or skirt which
allowed Sophie Cat to hide under it unseen and then suddenly! spring out at
Sophie Dog in a mock attack. This went on for several minutes and Sophie Cat
was obviously having a wonderful time. Then Sophie Dog got up and left just
after Sophie Cat hid under the ottoman again. Everybody started nudging each
other and saying, "Watch this, watch this!"

And then Sophie Cat exploded! out from under the ottoman ... and screeched
to a halt, dumbfounded ... no dog! Everyone in the room roared with laughter
as Sophie Cat, her dignity wounded to the quick, ran from the room in shame.
I know cats don't really have facial expressions, but I swear Sophie did.
Everything about her spoke of total astonishment and chagrin. Everyone there
agreed that it was one of the funniest things they'd ever seen. I expect
it's one of those things where you had to be there to really appreciate it,
but I hope that my description of it will give you a chuckle or two.

Old November 15th 04, 01:34 AM
Bill Stock

"D. R. Crawford" wrote in message
[...]

LOL, good story. Our Cali cat enjoys the hunt. She also has no trouble
showing her displeasure if she thinks she's been slighted. The expression
'if looks could kill' certainly apply to Cali. Although she's becoming quite
the suck in her old age.

Old November 15th 04, 05:23 AM
Marina

D. R. Crawford wrote:

[...]

LOL! It did. BTW, I've read that cats have more muscles in their faces
than humans do, so I'd say they do have a wide range of expressions.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old November 15th 04, 07:53 AM

D. R. Crawford wrote:

And then Sophie Cat exploded! out from under the ottoman ... and
screeched to a halt, dumbfounded ... no dog! Everyone in the room
roared with laughter as Sophie Cat, her dignity wounded to the quick,
ran from the room in shame.

Awww, poor kitty. Not only was she embarrassed, but her playmate had
deserted her!

My kitty Roxy loves to do this kind of thing. She'll burrow under blankets
or throw rugs and lie in wait... sometimes for an hour or two. She has more
patience than the Dalai Lama. (Maybe she *is* the Dalai Lama!) She can
sit or meatloaf or whatever in the same position for long stretches of time,
waiting for her quarry to approach. (Maybe she was a spider in a former
life.) Eventually someone, human or cat, will walk by within reach, and
she'll shoot out like a cannonball. Luckily for her, she doesn't seem to
have easily wounded dignity, or perhaps she simply *has* no dignity to
wound, because if nobody's there when she pounces, or if they're there and
they ignore her, she gets over it very quickly.

I know cats don't really have facial expressions, but I swear Sophie
did.

Oh, cats have facial expressions! Surely you've seen the Feline Glare of
Death. There's no mistaking what is in a cat's mind at that moment.

Joyce

Old November 15th 04, 10:44 AM
D. R. Crawford

wrote in message
D. R. Crawford wrote:

[...]

Well, maybe you're right. I had always understood that they didn't really
have expressions, but then again it kinda seems like they do sometimes ...
oh well, after all, cats are supposed to be mysterious now and then. It's
part of their charm, I guess.

Old November 15th 04, 02:30 PM
bonbon

LOL!!!

Thanks D. R. Crawford. Got any more about Sophie Cat and Sophie Dog
you're keeping from us?

-bonbon