a new twist on introducing a new cat

Old July 27th 03, 05:03 AM
Karen Chuplis

Default a new twist on introducing a new cat

in article , Don Swenson at
wrote on 7/26/03 10:50 PM:

I've been studying about introducing a new cat to resident cat,
reading articles on the web and old posts here. I've experienced
something quite different from what I expected, and I'm curious if
anyone has seen this happen before or knows what to do about it.

We have a 2 year old fixed female resident cat who in the past has
been fiercely territorial, injuring badly a neighbor cat who wandered
into her fenced-in back yard last year. We recently introduced a
(very small) 1 year old, fixed female into the household. Mindful of
our resident "bully" trying to kill the new cat, we kept them
separated as most suggest, and rationing their introduction to each
other. At first, as we expected, our resident cat was quite angry and
hissed and swatted at the new kitty. After several more days of slow
introductions, our resident cat began to warm to the new kitty. We
finally felt it was time to set them down next to each other and let
them get to know each other (with supervision of course). Much to our
shock and amazement, our new kitty went beserk, slapping our resident
cat several times with her claws and then chasing her all around the
house. Our resident cat cowered under the couch and wouldn't come out
for hours. In the only other instance since when we've tried to put
them together, the same thing happened. Our resident cat is now
terrified of our new cat, who has seemingly turned into a bully.
Where should we go from here?
Donnie Swenson
*************************
"Free-ranging cats in the United States have an average lifespan in the
general population of only 3 to 5 years; indoor cats have an average lifespan
of 12 years and frequently live longer than 20 years..."
(Karen L. Overall, M.A., V.M.D., Ph.D., Diplomate, American College of
Veterinary Behavior; Department of Clinical Studies School of Veterinary
Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)

"The hazards of the outdoors-automobiles, dogs, rival cats, poisonous plants,
infectious diseases, and fleas, to name but a few-are compelling reasons to
keep cats exclusively indoors."
Dr. James Richards, Director, Cornell Feline Health Center,
College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York

"Cats can be happily kept inside all the time"
Robert J. Holmes, BVM&S, PhD, MRCVS, FACVSc,
Cat Behavior and Training
Animal Behaviour Clinic, Malvern Vie 3 144, Australia

I think you need to go back and start over and make the introduction even
longer and slower. I would also (I know, I know) invest in some Feliway
spray.

Karen

Old July 27th 03, 05:12 AM
Don Swenson

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 23:03:06 -0500, Karen Chuplis
wrote:

I think you need to go back and start over and make the introduction even
longer and slower. I would also (I know, I know) invest in some Feliway
spray.

Karen

At the risk of walking into some sort of previous thread, I had never
heard of Feliway spray before you mentioned it. I did a little light
research on the topic and it sounds like something that might work.
At least it's worth a try. Thanks for the advice.

Donnie Swenson
*************************

Old July 27th 03, 03:42 PM
Priscilla Ballou

wrote:

I think you need to go back and start over and make the introduction even
longer and slower. I would also (I know, I know) invest in some Feliway
spray.

Karen

At the risk of walking into some sort of previous thread, I had never
heard of Feliway spray before you mentioned it. I did a little light
research on the topic and it sounds like something that might work.
At least it's worth a try. Thanks for the advice.

You can also do the "scent exchanging" thing. Take a towel and rub it
on the new cat, then take that same towel bearing her scent and rub it
on the old cat. That is supposed to transfer the scent and make her
smell familiar to the new one. This is in addition to redoing the
introduction more slowly.

Priscilla
--
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
Old July 27th 03, 03:42 PM
Priscilla Ballou

wrote:

[...]

Introducing Marari & Mysti... Aerlinn Cat anecdotes 11 February 29th 04 11:20 PM
introducing... Brenda Cat anecdotes 8 November 3rd 03 07:03 PM
OT - introducing Luigi dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers Cat anecdotes 20 October 24th 03 10:44 PM
introducing kitten to dog behaviors mel Cat health & behaviour 4 July 2nd 03 08:57 PM