Diet Problems

Old July 11th 04, 03:20 PM
JBHajos

Default Diet Problems

Some of you have had problems keeping special-diet food separated from
kitties with different dietary needs. It can be daunting, can't it?
Hobo is diabetic and on a high-protein diet. He has a special
prescription DM food, both dry and canned, and fortunately likes it
and eats both with gusto. However, Speckles has a kidney problem,
currently has lost over two-thirds of kidney function. She also likes
Hobo's food, which is, of course, the complete opposite of what's good
for her. They are fed in different rooms but Speckles finds ways to
get to it. She was prescribed K/D food last summer but refused to
touch it, still does. Her vet says that's not uncommon and has given
her a special prescription food, which she ate heartily the first
couple of days. No more!! She won't even sniff at it!! So, while I
feel like I'm murdering my kitty, I've given in and reverted to her
beloved Fancy Feast, which isn't good for her but beats starving, and
believe me, she *does* starve herself rather than give in to K/D or
the special Eukanaba. But I think FF is better than the
diabetes-management food and try to keep her out of *that*.

Once a vet would give my non-eating cat a dose of Valium which would
make a cat eat *anything*. It worked but was only a temporary
Band-Aid treatment. Maybe I should try that and *force* her to eat
the prescribed food.

Jeanne
Jeanne Hajos
spamguard u is i, and not is net)
===
"Anger improves nothing except the arch of a cat's back."
--- Coleman Cox
My SETI team:
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/s...am_125874.html
Old July 11th 04, 05:42 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , JBHajos at
wrote on 7/11/04 9:20AM:

[...]

My vet said she used to prescibe strict prescription diet for her kidney
kits, but after a while with the number that wouldn't eat at all, it has
become her policy to get them to eat period whatever they will as that
causes less complications than not eating at all, which is what can happen.
If it eases your mind any, I believe there is a healthy debate going on in
the vet community that it is perhaps NOT a low protien diet that is the
answer and some believe higher protien diets are more important. I say as
long as you get her to eat it is better than not.

Old July 12th 04, 01:35 PM
JBHajos

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 11:42:11 -0500, Karen Chuplis
wrote:

If it eases your mind any, I believe there is a healthy debate going on in
the vet community that it is perhaps NOT a low protien diet that is the
answer and some believe higher protien diets are more important. I say as
long as you get her to eat it is better than not.

Yes, it *does* ease my mind. Thank you. I've been truly concerned
about it - we've resigned ourselves to the fact that we're going to
lose Speckles since she has only 1/3 kidney function and has lost a
pound in the past month - but I want her last to be "happy meals" and
if she enjoys what allegedly is not good for her, well, I guess that's
all right.

Jeanne

Old July 12th 04, 01:49 PM
Christine Burel

Jeanne, I sort of had to face that with my RB kitty Frodo who had both
kidney and liver problems. They started to show up when he was around 15.
He wouldn't eat the special foods either so I decided that quality of life
was most important for him and I let him eat his food. In other ways I
managed his conditions with daily lactacted ringer fluids for his kidneys
and prednisone for his liver. He lived to be 3 weeks shy of 21 and actually
had a good quality of life up until the last few months.
Christine

Diet question Bobcat Cat anecdotes 4 February 19th 04 02:10 PM
Status of Hobbes' diet (long sigh!) Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 8 December 15th 03 12:03 PM