tapeworm etc

Old January 26th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

Default tapeworm etc

There is something I dont understand. I just got back from the vet
with my cat. I took the cat there to be neutered because he was
smelling up the house. While he was there it was found that he has a
bladder infection. Among all the things I was told on the phone was
that the vet found the cat had tapeworms as well as a bladder
infection. When I went to pick the cat up the vet really didnt want to
talk to me. I had to wait a half hour to talk to him and then he took
me in a closet to talk. He is an asian and so perhaps communication
was the issue. He gave the cat a shot for tapeworms. The literature
in the office stated that a pill by Bayer was what was to be given to
cats for tapeworm. He refused to tell me exactly what the shot was.
Would someone please let me know what Bayer makes in shot form for
tapeworms because I feel pretty bad right now about this entire
experience. The cat is in pain and is staggering around. I dont know
how I am going to get him to swallow two pills tomorrow for the bladder
infection. He is a stray who once had a broken leg before I knew him.
This vet says it didnt heal properly and could pop apart at anytime.
This has been a very very blue day and I hate myself for taking the cat
to this vet recommended by the Morris Animal Refuge. They sold me a
certificate for $40 to have the cat neutered. Someone please
reassure me that a shot is what is required for tapeworm. The cats
stools are always hard and he passes them every second day and I have
never seen any worms or grains of rice. He never scratches himself for
fleas but I had to buy that stuff as well to the tune of $75. The
entire job cost me $275 which I can ill afford. Can the cat get
reinfected with the tapeworms from his litter box?

Old January 26th 07, 06:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Hi HB,

Sounds like this isn't a good day for vet experiences. First, I hope you
call that animal league and tell them about your experience. I hope this
vet is better at animal medicine than he is at communication.

They should tell you what shot he received, that's a given. If the
doctor won't tell you, try calling the office back tomorrow and see if a
vet tech will read the chart for you. Even ask them for a copy of the
cat's records if you want to read the whole thing. They can't give your
cat a shot and not tell you what they've done. If they still won't tell
you, I would be tempted to complain to the veterinary board of your state.

I looked up from tapeworm info, cats get tapeworms from eating a flea.
You might want to read more about it here, it does say the tapeworm
medicine can be pills or a shot:
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/tapeworms.html

Oh, when you call, ask about the urinalysis. (I'm assuming that's what
they did to find the bladder infection.) Cats can have a problem with
urine crystals in addition to an actual infection. In fact, it's unusual
for a male cat to have a bacterial bladder infection, it's usually
crystals, although we have a male cat that gets both. Anyway, if he does
have crystals find out what kind (there are 2 kinds, usually they have
struvite crystals.) You may need to put your cat on a urinary diet if
that's the case.

How is your cat now? Is he still staggering? I hope they gave you pain
medicine for him.

As for the pills, we last got some in our tough cat by letting them
dissolve for an hour in tuna water (water from the can, not oil.) Don't
know if that will work on all kinds of pills, I'm sure some taste worse
than others. You can also try hiding them in a soft cat treat by molding
it around the pill like play dough.

Good luck. Let us know how he's doing.

Rhonda

Old January 26th 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"honeybunch" wrote in message
oups.com...
There is something I dont understand. I just got back from the vet
with my cat. I took the cat there to be neutered because he was
smelling up the house. While he was there it was found that he has a
bladder infection.

Ask your vet how he obtained the urine sample. Find out if he expressed the
bladder or if he obtatained the sample directly from the bladder with a
needle (cystocentesis). The reason I'm asking is because bacterial urinary
tract infections are rare in young to middle-aged cats, partly because of
the high osmolality of feline urine and partly because of the high acidity.
If the vet obtained the urine by expressing the bladder the sample was
probably contaminated with bacteria that normally inhabit the distal urinary
tract.

Among all the things I was told on the phone was
that the vet found the cat had tapeworms as well as a bladder
infection. When I went to pick the cat up the vet really didnt want to
talk to me. I had to wait a half hour to talk to him and then he took
me in a closet to talk. He is an asian and so perhaps communication
was the issue.

You might want to find a new vet. Vet-Client communication is an essential
part of your cat's health care.

He gave the cat a shot for tapeworms. The literature
in the office stated that a pill by Bayer was what was to be given to
cats for tapeworm. He refused to tell me exactly what the shot was.

He can't do that. If you didn't get a detailed bill, ask for one.

Would someone please let me know what Bayer makes in shot form for
tapeworms because I feel pretty bad right now about this entire
experience.

Yes. Bayer makes Droncit Injectable for cats that are difficult to pill. I
use the injectible form of Droncit in ferals because they're almost
impossible to pill.

The cat is in pain and is staggering around.

If he was neutered earlier in the day, he's probably still recovering from
the anesthesia.

I dont know
how I am going to get him to swallow two pills tomorrow for the bladder
infection.

Which medication did the vet give you?

He is a stray who once had a broken leg before I knew him.
This vet says it didnt heal properly and could pop apart at anytime.

Was your cat limping or staggering before he was neutered?

This has been a very very blue day and I hate myself for taking the cat
to this vet recommended by the Morris Animal Refuge. They sold me a
certificate for $40 to have the cat neutered. Someone please
reassure me that a shot is what is required for tapeworm.

Some vets use the injectible form of Droncit (Praziquantel). Your cat was
probably too groggy from the anesthesia to swallow a pill.

The cats
stools are always hard and he passes them every second day and I have
never seen any worms or grains of rice.

Sometimes the segments difficult to see because they're pasted to the skin
around the anus.

He never scratches himself for
fleas

Not all species of tapeworms cats can get come from eating fleas. Dipylidium
caninum is flea-vectored. The other species, Taeniids, are transmitted by
eating rodents.

but I had to buy that stuff as well to the tune of $75.

The pills shouldn't have cost more than $5.00-$7.00 ea. from a vet. The
injectible form of Droncit costs me about $70 for a 10 ml bottle - and I get
about 22-25 doses out of it. The dose for cats is .4 cc/10 lbs. which breaks
down to about $3.00 a dose. I think the vet grossly over charged you.

The
entire job cost me $275 which I can ill afford. Can the cat get
reinfected with the tapeworms from his litter box?

No. Cats cannot and do not get tapeworms by eating the segments or the tiny
egg packets. Tapeworm require intermediate hosts in their life cycle.

Phil

Old January 26th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

Thank you both more than words can express for answering my concerns.
The cat is better this morning although he did vomit before I gave him
any medication. The only solids in the vomit were 2 Pounce Treats that
I gave him last night. The dried Eukanuba that he has been nibbling
seemed digested.

His disconcerting behavior last night was surely due to the injection
for pain he received. His staggers had really nothing to do with the
bone in his poorly healed hind leg.

From what I read on the Internet last night, the kind of tapeworms that

cats get are not especially dangerous to their health and I dont
believe fleas are an especial problem with my cat. Nonetheless, more
than 1/3 of the bill was for items for these problems.

However, the urinary issue is the one I am most interested in. I
really wonder if a castration was necessary and if his smelly business
was really due to a bladder issue. I never heard anything about
crystals in the urine of male cats. Does this mean it would be a good
idea to stop feeding him Eukanuba dried food and look for a urinary mix
instead? I don't believe Dr.Hichlul Lee will give me anymore
information on the subject. I wouldnt be surprised if he never heard
of crystals in cat urine. There was no diploma on the wall of his
office although he was accredited in Delaware and places in
Pennsylvania. I don't know how he expressed the cat's urine and I
don't believe he will tell me or even talk to me if I go into the
office or call. There was an extraordinary problem with communication.
He has a good command of English, he just did not like questions. I
dont think I was over charged except the flea/tapeworm issue was made
out to be an very important one.

I was told by the receptionist to give the cat two 125 mg tablets of
clavamox daily. I looked clavomox up on the Pfizer website and there
it was stated that 10 pound cats required half that amount for urinary
infections. I did crush up a tablet and thought I'd try to mix it with
Pounce somehow but before that happened, he vomited and now I am at a
loss of what to do next. He is sitting right next to the screen of my
laptop in the sun. Thank you so much for your reassurance. I would
appreciate it if you would let me know what you think should be done
about the possibility of crystals in his urine and what diet he should
have. Thanks more than words can say. Doro

This is the bill:
Office visit: $30
Rabies shot: $15
Distemper shot: $16
Urine Sample Collection: $10
Urinalysis: $18
Injection: $16 (probably for pain)
Injection and Med.: $29 (this is for the clavamox but he didnt say he
also injected it)
Med: Advantage: $73 (6 months of topical flea treatment)
De worming: $28
Alter $40

On Jan 26, 7:11 am, "Phil P." wrote:
"honeybunch" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

[...]

cats for tapeworm. He refused to tell me exactly what the shot was.He can't do that. If you didn't get a detailed bill, ask for one.

Would someone please let me know what Bayer makes in shot form for
tapeworms because I feel pretty bad right now about this entire
experience. Yes. Bayer makes Droncit Injectable for cats that are difficult to pill. I

use the injectible form of Droncit in ferals because they're almost
impossible to pill.

The cat is in pain and is staggering around.If he was neutered earlier in the day, he's probably still recovering from

the anesthesia.

I dont know

how I am going to get him to swallow two pills tomorrow for the bladder
infection.Which medication did the vet give you?

He is a stray who once had a broken leg before I knew him.

This vet says it didnt heal properly and could pop apart at anytime.Was your cat limping or staggering before he was neutered?

This has been a very very blue day and I hate myself for taking the cat
to this vet recommended by the Morris Animal Refuge. They sold me a
certificate for $40 to have the cat neutered. Someone please
reassure me that a shot is what is required for tapeworm.Some vets use the injectible form of Droncit (Praziquantel). Your cat was

probably too groggy from the anesthesia to swallow a pill.

The cats

stools are always hard and he passes them every second day and I have
never seen any worms or grains of rice.Sometimes the segments difficult to see because they're pasted to the skin

around the anus.

He never scratches himself for

fleasNot all species of tapeworms cats can get come from eating fleas. Dipylidium

caninum is flea-vectored. The other species, Taeniids, are transmitted by
eating rodents.

but I had to buy that stuff as well to the tune of $75.The pills shouldn't have cost more than $5.00-$7.00 ea. from a vet. The

injectible form of Droncit costs me about $70 for a 10 ml bottle - and I get
about 22-25 doses out of it. The dose for cats is .4 cc/10 lbs. which breaks
down to about $3.00 a dose. I think the vet grossly over charged you.

The

entire job cost me $275 which I can ill afford. Can the cat get
reinfected with the tapeworms from his litter box?No. Cats cannot and do not get tapeworms by eating the segments or the tiny

Old January 26th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"honeybunch" wrote in message
oups.com...

However, the urinary issue is the one I am most interested in. I
really wonder if a castration was necessary and if his smelly business
was really due to a bladder issue.

Urine of intact males has a very pungent odor. Neutering was a wise
decision- health-wise and behavior-wise. Its also the responsible thing to
do.

I never heard anything about
crystals in the urine of male cats.

You should certainly find out which type of crystals were found. Certain
types can indicate an underlying disease. Also, identifying the type of
crystals is important in selecting the diet to treat them. Years ago the
most common crystal was struvite. Since the reformulation of most feline
diets, calcium oxalate now occurs with equal frequency.

Does this mean it would be a good
idea to stop feeding him Eukanuba dried food and look for a urinary mix
instead?

Male cats, especially, should be fed canned food to reduce the risk of
urethral obstruction.

I don't believe Dr.Hichlul Lee will give me anymore
information on the subject. I wouldnt be surprised if he never heard
of crystals in cat urine. There was no diploma on the wall of his
office although he was accredited in Delaware and places in
Pennsylvania. I don't know how he expressed the cat's urine and I
don't believe he will tell me or even talk to me if I go into the
office or call. There was an extraordinary problem with communication.
He has a good command of English, he just did not like questions. I
dont think I was over charged except the flea/tapeworm issue was made
out to be an very important one.

You need to find a vet with whom you can communicate.

I was told by the receptionist to give the cat two 125 mg tablets of
clavamox daily. I looked clavomox up on the Pfizer website and there
it was stated that 10 pound cats required half that amount for urinary
infections.

Even though Clavamox has a wide margin of safety, I don't believe in giving
a cat any more medication than is necessary.

I did crush up a tablet and thought I'd try to mix it with
Pounce somehow but before that happened, he vomited and now I am at a
loss of what to do next. He is sitting right next to the screen of my
laptop in the sun. Thank you so much for your reassurance. I would
appreciate it if you would let me know what you think should be done
about the possibility of crystals in his urine and what diet he should
have. Thanks more than words can say. Doro

As I said, male cats should be fed canned food. The higher water content of
canned food dilutes the concentration of solutes in the urine and makes them
easier to eliminate. The higher water content also results in more frequent
urination which eliminates tiny crystalline particles before they aggregate
or accrete into larger and larger particles that eventually become crystals.

This is the bill:
Office visit: $30
Rabies shot: $15
Distemper shot: $16
Urine Sample Collection: $10
Urinalysis: $18
Injection: $16 (probably for pain)
Injection and Med.: $29 (this is for the clavamox but he didnt say he
also injected it)
Med: Advantage: $73 (6 months of topical flea treatment)
De worming: $28
Alter $40

Now that you broke it down, the bill doesn't seem excessive.

Best of luck,

Phil

Old January 26th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

HB,

I really would call that vet office and ask for copies of his records.
Talk to someone else but get those files. You have a right to know what
was done to your cat. You could also say you're transferring to a new
vet and need the records. I'll call them for you, ha.

Did you ask for the rabies and distemper shot too? That, along with the
neuter, seems like a lot to do to a sick cat at once. The distemper shot
can make cats sick for about 24 hours, they sometimes get a fever. We
took in a cat family, and all 5 of them were sick the night of their
shot (as in feeling miserable and not wanting to eat or move.)

I think it's a good idea in general to neuter your cat, because if he
ever escaped your house during mating season, he'd be long gone. He'd go
miles to find a female. Also, some little thing could change in your
house or some new scent on the wind and he'd start spraying everything.

Our bladder infection cat is on Clavamox pills right now, he is about
14lbs and he gets 62.5 mg twice a day.

The urinary cat food is low in magnesium and also changes the ph of the
urine (to make is less easy for struvite crystals to form.) Struvite is
most common in younger cats, and our cat is on urinary cat food. You
wouldn't want to use that if your cat has the other type of crystals,
because those types need the ph of the urine to be raised instead of
lowered. Get those records!!! Or I hope you can find another vet and
redo the urinalysis, although you won't be able to re-check the
infection at this point because he's already on antibiotics.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Old February 2nd 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

Default HELP

Its been one week since the operation. The cat has recovered his
shinny coat. I have been trying to feed him something other than
dried cat food and he rejects it after a little nibble. First I gave
him Purina ProPlan urinary system and today Hills science diet for
adult cats, both in a can. I just realized that he has not had a
bowel movement for a week since the day before his operation last
Thursday! Of course he hasnt eaten anything either. He has peed
quite alot. Today he was sleeping on my chest in the early afternoon
and purring but he was also trembling! Im kind of distressed. I dont
know what to do. Should I take him back to the irresponsive vet who I
had so much trouble with? I have no idea how to find another one who
might be better and know more. What could be wrong with him I wonder.

On Jan 26, 7:11 am, "Phil P." wrote:

[...]

Phil- Hide quoted text -