Discouraged

Old June 6th 14, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Discouraged

I'm getting discouraged. Waffles seems to be okay, considering the fact
that he has cancer, doesn't drink enough and is getting chemo. However,
he feels food enough to run away from me and struggle when I give him
his meds.

He gets Prednisone twice a day. He's also supposed to get an antacid
twice a day. He gets chemo (a pill) twice a week. Yesterday I had him
checked, and the doctor said he's showing signs of infection, so I'm to
give him an antibiotic twice a day. He runs away, then struggles when I
finally catch him, every time I have to medicate him. In fact, he runs
away if I approach him, even if I'm not giving him anything.

That would be hard enough if I were young and energetic. I'm 78 and
have a bad knee. I'm getting worn down.

I have to get up in the night a few times. Up until last night, Waffles
would come up and cuddle every time I got back into bed. Last night he
didn't do it at all, until the very last time. I was beginning to think
he hated me for doing all that to him.

Then there's the financial angle. I'm on a fixed income. The chemo
costs a little over $20 a week. The Prednisone is $78 for about two
weeks' worth. I have to take him back for tests. It has been weekly,
but yesterday I got her to say we could make the visits 10 days apart.
Each visit costs in the vicinity of $150. The vet agreed to waive the
fee for the visit itself, but he has to have a CBC done each time, and
lab work is expensive! He also usually needs fluid.

The vet told me about something called CareCredit (I think), which is an
outfit that will lend money on a short term basis. If you pay a fixed
amount a month, and have it all paid off within six months, there is no
interest. I can see where that would be great for a one-time expense
like surgery, but this is an ongoing thing.

I'm tired and depressed.

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old June 6th 14, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Joy wrote:
[...]

I know it's tempting, but try not to ge5 suckered in to any "quick loan"
scheme! (IMO, you generally end up worse off than before, when you
start spending money you don't have.)

Old June 6th 14, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/6/2014 2:01 PM, Joy wrote:
[...]

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with all of this. I can give you a
hug. {{{{Joy}}}}

I'm sure you think Waffles is avoiding you because you're medicating
him. To an extent, he probably is. Unpleasant associations.

The only suggestion I have is to make sure you set aside some time for
scritches, praises, maybe a treat. Something not associated giving him
medicine. (I'm not saying you're not already doing that!)

I do agree with you and Evelyn about the short term loan thing. It
probably has a lot of very fine print they hope you won't notice. And,
as you say, taking care of Waffles is not a one-time expense. Who knows
where the bills will be in 6 months?

It's nice the vet waived the visit fee but yes, lab work is expensive.
Could you maybe work out a monthly payment arrangment with the vet instead?

Purrs continue for both of you.

Jill & Persia
Old June 6th 14, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 6/6/2014 11:12 AM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Joy wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the warning, but it isn't needed. I'm very wary of that sort
of thing. My income is small, and the reason I manage on it is that I
stay out of debt. I use my credit card for almost everything, but I pay
it off every month - or did until now. I finally remembered that I get
"rewards" for using the cards. I checked and applied the $192 in
rewards that I'd accumulated to the balance. It's a drop in the bucket,
but every little bit helps.

Joy

Old June 6th 14, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

On Friday, June 6, 2014 2:01:16 PM UTC-4, Joy wrote:
[...]

Purrs for Waffles and you. Can you have the vet give him a Covenia shot - not advocating it, but it is one less pill to give him. Also, can you get the meds compounding into one pill twice a day? It might help.

I have used Care Credit in the past - stay away from it! There are other credit card companies out there that will give you a year to pay off the balance, and not charge an arm and a leg. I missed one payment to Care Credit by 2 days, and they charged me for ALL the interest to date. NEVER again! I have a Chase Slate card which has a pretty good rate on it.

Old June 6th 14, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
I'm getting discouraged. Waffles seems to be okay, considering the fact
that he has cancer, doesn't drink enough and is getting chemo. However,
he feels food enough to run away from me and struggle when I give him his
meds.

He gets Prednisone twice a day. He's also supposed to get an antacid
twice a day. He gets chemo (a pill) twice a week. Yesterday I had him
checked, and the doctor said he's showing signs of infection, so I'm to
give him an antibiotic twice a day. He runs away, then struggles when I
finally catch him, every time I have to medicate him. In fact, he runs
away if I approach him, even if I'm not giving him anything.

Oh, Joy, my heart goes out to you. I absolutely cannot medicate Boyfie on
my own, it must be a nightmare for you.

That would be hard enough if I were young and energetic. I'm 78 and have
a bad knee. I'm getting worn down.

I have to get up in the night a few times. Up until last night, Waffles
would come up and cuddle every time I got back into bed. Last night he
didn't do it at all, until the very last time. I was beginning to think
he hated me for doing all that to him.

Have you spoken to the vet about your difficulties? It might be that some
of his meds can be given in liquid form instead and hidden in tuna juice or
something.

Then there's the financial angle. I'm on a fixed income. The chemo costs
a little over $20 a week. The Prednisone is $78 for about two weeks'
worth. I have to take him back for tests. It has been weekly, but
yesterday I got her to say we could make the visits 10 days apart. Each
visit costs in the vicinity of $150. The vet agreed to waive the fee for
the visit itself, but he has to have a CBC done each time, and lab work is
expensive! He also usually needs fluid.

Remind me, how old is Waffles? And did the vet give you an idea about how
long his treatment would be and his likely prognosis afterwards? If the
treatment is fairly short term and the prognosis is fairly good afterwards,
that's one thing, but if it's long term like for ever..well no-one can
afford that. You might have to consider his future.

The vet told me about something called CareCredit (I think), which is an
outfit that will lend money on a short term basis. If you pay a fixed
amount a month, and have it all paid off within six months, there is no
interest. I can see where that would be great for a one-time expense like
surgery, but this is an ongoing thing.

Don't even consider that. What if you couldn't pay it off within six
months? I've seen people here get into terrible trouble with these short
term loan companies, the fact that your vet has suggested that you use one
rather than offer you a payment plan himself with no interest is a bit,
well, unusual. Next time you go, insist he tells you the true situation
about what your money will get you in regard to Waffles survival (sorry, I
get a bit suspicous about a vet who would encourage a 78 yo to take out a
short term loan that has the potential to get Very Difficult Indeed}

I'm tired and depressed.

I expect you are. Lots of purrs coming for both of you.
Keep us informed.
Tweed

Old June 6th 14, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 6/6/2014 1:37 PM, Mishi wrote:
[...]

Thank you. What is Covenia? His Prednisone and antacid are in liquid
form. The chemo and antibiotic are pills. The vet asked whether I
wanted the antibiotic in pill form or liquid. I never thought I'd say
it of any cat, but it is actually easier to give Waffles a small pill
than the liquid. Both of the pills are quite small. She tried to talk
me into getting a pill shooter or whatever they're called, but that
would be like giving the liquid. He seems to tolerate having me stick
my fingers in his mouth better than the plastic syringe. She said she
didn't want me to get bitten. The interesting thing is that, while he
runs away, and he struggles when I catch him, he has never bitten or
scratched me. On some level he must know I'm doing it for his own good.

I'm not thrilled with carrying a balance on my credit card, but I do get
a 1% "reward" on it, as well as 2% for groceries and 5% for restaurants
and department stores (which I naturally use the least). I'd rather
carry the balance on there, until I reach my limit, than mess with a new
company. I hate being in debt! I haven't had a debt since I paid off
my house in 1990, and I'd rather keep it that way.

Incidentally, I slept for over an hour after lunch, and I feel much
better than I did.

Joy

Old June 6th 14, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Joy" wrote in message
I'm getting discouraged. Waffles seems to be okay, considering the fact
that he has cancer, doesn't drink enough and is getting chemo. However,
he feels food enough to run away from me and struggle when I give him his
meds.

He gets Prednisone twice a day. He's also supposed to get an antacid
twice a day. He gets chemo (a pill) twice a week. Yesterday I had him
checked, and the doctor said he's showing signs of infection, so I'm to
give him an antibiotic twice a day. He runs away, then struggles when I
finally catch him, every time I have to medicate him. In fact, he runs
away if I approach him, even if I'm not giving him anything.

Oh, Joy, my heart goes out to you. I absolutely cannot medicate Boyfie on
my own, it must be a nightmare for you.

It is rough, but I just realized that, even though he runs away, and
then struggles, he never bites or scratches.

Joy

Old June 7th 14, 12:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack G.

On Friday, June 6, 2014 3:14:32 PM UTC-7, Joy wrote:

[...]

The hardest thing I have ever done is look into my cats caring and loving eyes for the last time. I have more to say but my keyboard is filled with tears.
Old June 7th 14, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Joy wrote:
I'm getting discouraged. Waffles seems to be okay, considering the
fact that he has cancer, doesn't drink enough and is getting chemo. [...]
He gets Prednisone twice a day. He's also supposed to get an antacid
twice a day. He gets chemo (a pill) twice a week. Yesterday I had him
checked, and the doctor said he's showing signs of infection, so I'm to
give him an antibiotic twice a day. He runs away, then struggles when I
finally catch him, every time I have to medicate him. In fact, he runs
away if I approach him, even if I'm not giving him anything.
That would be hard enough if I were young and energetic. I'm 78 and
have a bad knee. [...]
Then there's the financial angle. I'm on a fixed income.

Look, everybody has limits to what they can afford and what they can
cope with. Don't feel guilty or ashamed if you've hit those limits.
It sounds from what you write that he can't live for very long, no
matter what. You can surround him with love and take his pain away
at the end, and nobody here will think the worse of you if that's all
you can manage. We know you care and Waffles does too.