Today I saw an experienced physiotherapist (OT)

Old June 6th 14, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Today I saw an experienced physiotherapist (OT)

Unlike last week. We discussed the injury I got and I learned a lot about
what muscles cannot work in my hand due to the nerve damage in my neck.
As I suspected, there is nothing that physiotherapy can do unless the nerves
grow back, which can take two years (or might never do)
So next week I'm seeing the occupational therapists for a splint to keep my
little finger strapped to the ring finger because if I don't I keep injuring
it (it is numb) but so is the ring finger, and half my palm. Plus I have
almost no pincer grip, but hey I survived the operation.
The physio I saw today knows my surgeon well and she said "did he tell you
that you might die if he did the operation if not you might be paralysed for
life?"
He probably did but I was on morphine at the time so I agreed.
It worked! in that I didn't die but it's still too painful to do as much as
I want to to get back to normal. I can't use my right hand properly and I
am right-handed.
For those right-handed people, now wipe your bum with your left hand.

I probably won't get "normal" again and I am sick of being a Pollyanna about
it.

If only I hadn't fallen down my stairs, but as the physio said today "I
can't alter that and we have to work with what you have."
Sometimes, ..you could purely kill them.
Tweed

Old June 7th 14, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

[...]

~~~~~~
This is really frightening. I wish I could say something to help, but I
know words cannot bring the help you need. I do hope your doctors and
therapists are able to give you as much help and support as possible...and I
send my best wishes across the pond to you. Hug Boyfie and let him know how
much he is loved and how lucky he is to have his meowmie.

MaryL

Old June 8th 14, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Fri, 6 Jun 2014 23:47:31 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
If only I hadn't fallen down my stairs, but as the physio said today "I
can't alter that and we have to work with what you have."
Sometimes, ..you could purely kill them.

That must've been the worst fall! I hope that there will be plenty of
anecdotes coming up over the next years about how much more strength and
mobility you're getting back.
Old June 11th 14, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message

[...]

Boyfie doesn't like hugs (even from me) so I gave him a nice skritching from
you instead until he purred like crazy.
It would be a disaster for him if anything happened to me on a permanent
basis because he is so shy and timid with everyone else; and it literally
took many years to get him where he is with me which is very confident. He
waits for me so faithfully for weeks in an empty house when I am in
hospital, letting himself be fed by people he kind of knows but will never
trust. He knows I love him and he loves me - I think I'm the only girl for
him;-)

I'm seeing the OT on Friday to explain the difficulties with my right hand
function and hopefully get some thingies that will help. OT's have lots of
of "thingies"
I particularly need something that will tie my little finger to my ring
finger to stop me hurting it all the time as it's completely numb and
useless and gets itself into real trouble. Also help with controlling a
knife (as when eating with a knife and fork simultaneously, which is how I
like to eat, being a Brit! I haven't been out for a meal since my accident
because of it. I can't control a knife or cut my food without my index
finger working properly.
There's all sort of special equipment I am sure, which I find out about on
Friday.

Old June 14th 14, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:
I say that if you want to go out for a meal, then go. As you're feeling
self conscious maybe you could sit at a table in a corner and as you would
probably be with a friend, they could cut up your food discretely. I'd
readily do it for you so I'm sure your friends would too. I say go for it.

but I don't want to sit at a table in the corner and my food cut up for me.
I wasn't able to see the occupational therapist today, it's next Friday now.
The physio said it's a generational thing to eat correctly with a knife and
fork here (and she is probably right) but it's more than that. It's about
etiquette and I notice immediately if no-one holds their knife correctly
because I was trained well. . It's awful.
and why does it matter? I have no idea but it somehow does.

Old June 15th 14, 06:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

"Judith Latham" wrote in message

1

I totally understand. I would be the same. I like to sit at corner tables
but I don't want to feel I'm hiding there.

I'm the same about etiquette and hate to see a fork used as a shovel (as
my mother always puts it) DH argues that it's difficult to eat peas
otherwise but I tell him that I have no problem and so he has to struggle.
He eats them properly so it can't be that difficult can it? I think it
matters because it's maintaining standards.

It is Very Bad Indeed to hold your knife between your index finger and
thumb, my grandmother always said it proved you were a low-class person.
Peas need be picked up on the prongs of a fork. Not shovelled up, FGS!
I suppose it shouldn't matter too much as long as I can eat but somehow it
really does.

Old June 15th 14, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
If only I hadn't fallen down my stairs, but as the physio said today "I
can't alter that and we have to work with what you have."
Sometimes, ..you could purely kill them.

That must've been the worst fall! I hope that there will be plenty of
anecdotes coming up over the next years about how much more strength and
mobility you're getting back.

Depends if I get grumpy about it (and I will)
I know I fell from top to bottom because I'd pulled the fishtank away from
the wall at the top of the stairs but other than that I don't remember
except when I got up at the bottom of the stairs and just knew I was very
severely injured. I might have been unconscious (sp) and if you'd seen my
head I probably was.
Claire took a photo on her phone, she could not believe I'd tried to manage
alone for 2 days.

Old June 16th 14, 02:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

wrote:

"Judith Latham" wrote in message

1

I totally understand. I would be the same. I like to sit at corner tables
but I don't want to feel I'm hiding there.

I'm the same about etiquette and hate to see a fork used as a shovel (as
my mother always puts it) DH argues that it's difficult to eat peas
otherwise but I tell him that I have no problem and so he has to struggle.
He eats them properly so it can't be that difficult can it? I think it
matters because it's maintaining standards.

It is Very Bad Indeed to hold your knife between your index finger and
thumb, my grandmother always said it proved you were a low-class person.
Peas need be picked up on the prongs of a fork. Not shovelled up, FGS!
I suppose it shouldn't matter too much as long as I can eat but somehow it
really does.

On the prongs of a fork? You mean, stabbed? No, that would be cruel.
The proper way is to slightly mash them and then scoop them up with a

http://www.ehow.com/video_4951840_pr...-eat-peas.html
Old June 16th 14, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Peas need be picked up on the prongs of a fork.
On the prongs of a fork? You mean, stabbed? No, that would
be cruel. The proper way is to slightly mash them and then
scoop them up with a fork!

That's the way I eat them, too.

I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life,
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps them on my knife.

- anon, 19th century

(I think I'd rather eat peas with chopsticks than the back-of-the-fork
way; whoever invented the fork made it shovel-shaped for good reason).