Which human foods can cats eat?

Old July 14th 05, 06:12 PM
Newbie

Default Which human foods can cats eat?

Which human foods can cats eat? Not as exclusive diet, but once in a
while, without harming their health.

A casual glance at our fridge shows: cooked shrimp, baked chicken, ham,
bacon, sausage, canned tuna, salmon. Oh, and I just scambled some eggs
for myself.

All of this is non-vegetable. Can cats eat it safely?

BTW, what makes canned cat food stink so badly? :-)
Old July 14th 05, 06:31 PM
Elizabeth Blake

"Newbie" wrote in message
Which human foods can cats eat? Not as exclusive diet, but once in a
while, without harming their health.

A casual glance at our fridge shows: cooked shrimp, baked chicken, ham,
bacon, sausage, canned tuna, salmon. Oh, and I just scambled some eggs
for myself.

All of this is non-vegetable. Can cats eat it safely?

BTW, what makes canned cat food stink so badly? :-)

If I buy cold cuts to make sandwiches for lunch, I MUST share with the cats.
They'll freak out & explode if I don't. I usually buy turkey and ham. They
love both, but I think they prefer the ham. I give them each two little
pieces, maybe 1" x 1" of whatever I'm having. They also like chicken and
tuna. I have tuna maybe 1-3 times a year, so they only get a little flake
each when I do have it. I don't think I've ever offered them shrimp, bacon
or sausage. I'd rather save it all for myself! They have no interest in
eggs.

Otto loves those nasty strips of pork (?) that come in wonton soup from
Chinese take-out places. He also likes crackers, especially cheesy ones.
Mostly they prefer anything meaty.

Stinky, one of the cats at work, will often share my sandwich
(turkey/ham/chicken) but likes very little other human food. Harriet will
not eat any kind of sandwich meat and will only try tuna once in awhile.
Harriet does LOVE human junk food, though. Potato chips, pretzels, Goldfish
crackers, tortilla chips. If it's crunchy & salty, she wants it. She's
also eaten french fries and donuts, and it drives me crazy when the staff
gives her that stuff. Harriet loves her dry food and isn't crazy about
canned food, and it seems to carry over in her tastes for human food.

Many cats will eat vegetables. I don't think it will harm them. My
sister's cat went crazy for kale.

--
Liz

Old July 14th 05, 07:05 PM
whitershadeofpale

Newbie wrote:
Which human foods can cats eat? Not as exclusive diet, but once in a
while, without harming their health.

A casual glance at our fridge shows: cooked shrimp, baked chicken, ham,
bacon, sausage, canned tuna, salmon. Oh, and I just scambled some eggs
for myself.
All of this is non-vegetable. Can cats eat it safely?

BTW, what makes canned cat food stink so badly? :-)

It's the

eye of newt
and tongue of bat
if it's smelling bad
I'd say its that.

Old July 14th 05, 08:01 PM
Gntry

As a treat I will pour the tuna water from the can over Lilo's dry
food....she'll eat chicken, hamburger, turkey, loves bologna...will not eat
ice cream, but loves whipped cream in the aerosole(sp) cans.
Only little bits, occasionally...not good to give them too much.

Old July 14th 05, 08:34 PM
blkcatgal

I have fed my cat cooked chicken, tuna, shrimp, scrambled eggs, ice cream
(vanilla, not chocolate; chocolate is not good for animals), yogurt, all in
limited quantities. You would not want to make feeding your cat human food
a habit. But a little bit of people food isn't harmful.

S.

Old July 14th 05, 10:05 PM
Ricky

Which human foods can cats eat? Not as exclusive diet, but once in a
while, without harming their health.

Its not "human" that matters. Its natural and non-processed. Look at your
cat food's ingredients. They make it so it won't spoil in non-refrigerated
conditions. Do you know of any food besides perhaps nuts and sees that
stays pristine in non-refrigerated conditions for very long? Also - no
animals should ever eat cooked foods. Have you ever seen a stove in a
forest? Its a natural thing for animals to be fast and lean to catch their
foods. So fat animals will naturally lose their excess weight in the wilds.
Its absurd for domestic animals to be heavy. Of course its absurd for
people to be heavy...but that's another story on modern society's rapidly
declining health.

A casual glance at our fridge shows: cooked shrimp, baked chicken, ham,
bacon, sausage, canned tuna, salmon. Oh, and I just scambled some eggs
for myself.

Ham, bacon, sausage - the worst meats one could possible ingest. Filled
enough with enough preservatives to kill ya - slowly!

All of this is non-vegetable. Can cats eat it safely?

BTW, what makes canned cat food stink so badly? :-)

Not enough preservatives maybe?

Real food for cats? Raw, fresh fish and meat. And whatever small amounts
of greens/vegetables they might supplement that with. Liver is very cheap.
I'm no cat expert; just trying to use some logic.

Old July 14th 05, 11:18 PM
AZ Nomad

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:12:46 GMT, Newbie wrote:

Which human foods can cats eat? Not as exclusive diet, but once in a
while, without harming their health.

A casual glance at our fridge shows: cooked shrimp, baked chicken, ham,
bacon, sausage, canned tuna, salmon. Oh, and I just scambled some eggs
for myself.

All of this is non-vegetable. Can cats eat it safely?

BTW, what makes canned cat food stink so badly? :-)

In moderation (no more than perhaps 1/2% of their diet), you can't go wrong
letting kitty eat what s(he) fancies as long as the treat isn't toxic. My
kitty will go raving nuts for fresh grilled fish or turn his nose up at it
prefering some sliced ham. I used to be in the habbit of giving kitty
evaporated milk all the time but have fallen out of that habbit. It would give
them the runs and short-circuit their brain's pleasure center; kitty crack.

I've known cats who like ice cream (never chocolate!), even one who loved
cantalope. Sometimes kitty will only want a treat if it is tossed across the
room so kitty can hunt it and kill it. Another cat who would get excited at
getting a treat, but with her flat persian face couldn't coordinate where the
end of her face was and would just sit there snapping her tongue without ever
eating. It's really up to the cat.

The key is moderation. Giving kitty treats on a daily basis is too much. Once
or twice a week seems to be best.
Old July 15th 05, 12:12 AM
claudel

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

Bubba, at 22+Lbs isn't shy about munching the kibbles but shows absolutely
no interest in any other food. I've offered him cooked chicken that I was
eating, raw steak, and a couple of other people food items and he
completely ignores it. I left a piece of cooked chicken breast sitting in
front of his face. He woke up, sniffed at it, went back to sleep and when
he woke up later walked away from it as if he didn't even see it as a food item.

Just as well. I'm fine with him not being a people-food beggar.

Claude

Old July 15th 05, 12:40 AM
Philip

In ,
Ricky stated unanimously:
[...]

Rick, I read a lot of PC drivel in your post. Or perhaps the only place you
know to buy meats is processed and/or in a can. Ever had bacon, sausage, or
ham fresh from a butcher? Quite different stuff. None of those
preservatives and sodiums you're so opposed to. Raw chicken eggs are no
better for cats than for people.

Old July 15th 05, 12:55 AM
L Sternn

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:05:15 -0700, "Ricky"
wrote:

Which human foods can cats eat? Not as exclusive diet, but once in a
while, without harming their health.

Its not "human" that matters. Its natural and non-processed. Look at your
cat food's ingredients. They make it so it won't spoil in non-refrigerated
conditions. Do you know of any food besides perhaps nuts and sees that
stays pristine in non-refrigerated conditions for very long?

If it's canned, plenty of foods.

Also - no
animals should ever eat cooked foods. Have you ever seen a stove in a
forest? Its a natural thing for animals to be fast and lean to catch their
foods. So fat animals will naturally lose their excess weight in the wilds.
Its absurd for domestic animals to be heavy. Of course its absurd for
people to be heavy...but that's another story on modern society's rapidly
declining health.

A casual glance at our fridge shows: cooked shrimp, baked chicken, ham,
bacon, sausage, canned tuna, salmon. Oh, and I just scambled some eggs
for myself.

Ham, bacon, sausage - the worst meats one could possible ingest.

Yeah, but they're still good food.

Filled
enough with enough preservatives to kill ya - slowly!

We're all gonna die someday and I should probably worry more about the
cigarette I'm smoking than the bacon I had on my sandwich at lunch
today and the day before that.

One thing I am not though is overweight.

All of this is non-vegetable. Can cats eat it safely?

BTW, what makes canned cat food stink so badly? :-)

Not enough preservatives maybe?

"I don't care if there's chemicals in it
as long as my lettuce is crisp.
Preservatives might be preserving you all
I think that's something you might have missed." - Grace Slick (Eat
Starch, Mom!)

Real food for cats? Raw, fresh fish and meat. And whatever small amounts
of greens/vegetables they might supplement that with. Liver is very cheap.

Unless you're talking about a transplant

I'm no cat expert; just trying to use some logic.