UPDATE #4 Mimi not feeling well.

Old December 16th 04, 08:10 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Default UPDATE #4 Mimi not feeling well.

Yesterday, Mimi acted a whole lot better, but today she threw up (I think it
was her - there was some on my chair, and she had been there earlier, but so
had Tennessee, Weeble & Ernie - at different times), it wasn't much. Later
I followed her to the litterbox and her stool was very runny - almost like
baby food. Sounds like something is upsetting her digestive system. I
haven't heard back from TED's blood test yet. I have also emailed this
info to TED, and haven't heard back from them on that either. Right now she
is on the table behind the sofa, soaking up the rays of the 'sun lamp'.

I found a brush & comb, and did her fur nice & pretty yesterday evening.
She liked the comb better than the brush. I got a bit of fur off her with
both, and she did look soooooooooooooo cute with the 'comb lines' in her
fur, like a freshly plowed field.

She is still eating, and drinking, but...

sigh

What to do with poor widdle sick kitty???????

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:
Picked up Mimi at TED's around 10:30, dropped her off at home with
plenty of food & water. X-rays came back normal - no fluid buildup
or anything like that in her heart or lungs. No masses that would be
causing any problems in her gut (not even a hairball), but they did
say that some of her intestines seemed out of place, probably from
when they palpated her , but her kidneys were looking normal (no
tumors or other growths). The blood test will be back in a few days
(they don't do that on site).
She cried all the way home, and clawed at the mesh of my soft-sided
carrier (I was afraid she would rip through it with her razor sharp
claws). The tech said that she was cranky this morning (you would be
too, if you hadn't had anything to eat for 12+ hours, and are used to
being able to eat anytime, even if you don't want to), and was
swearing at them when they came in. Of course, I had to fain
incredulous comments ("Mimi, use foul language??? NEVER!"). But then
again, she was NOT happy when TED stuck that thermometer where things
are not supposed to be stuck
When I got home, she walked out of the carrier, tail up in the air
like she owned the place. I had all the cat dishes in the
dishwasher, so I had to get them out so I could feed ALL of them (not
just Mimi). Ernie, Moe, Weeble & Ping were torn between
investigating the carrier (even though they had ignored it last
night), and chowing down. Mimi nibbled a bit, then starting cleaning
herself (where the thermometer should not have been put - and I'm
sure they did a fecal swab to check for parasites/bacteria as well),
then nibbled some more.. She also has a shaved spot on her neck from
where they drew the blood - and it looks like she might have
struggled a bit when they did it as it does not look too nice
She is now purring, meatloafed on my desktop. She looks better,
albeit a bit thin, but I guess she had a major grooming-session while
I was out running errands (new movies come out on DVD on Tuesdays,
and LOTR3 extended version is one of them - DH would be a major grump
if I did not get that for him).

I need to go unload my purchases now, so I will stop gabbing about
poor widdle Mimi.

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:
Just got back from TED. Have left her there overnight as they are
going to run blood (and other) tests in the morning, and probably do
some x-rays as well. TED said that her kidneys felt small (but she's
a small cat), and her heart sounded loud on both sides (she was
scared to death). She was not dehydrated at all, and her temperature
was normal (and she growled like a junkyard dog while TED was taking
it). I could have brought her home, but for blood tests they need to
have fasted for 12 hours, and 8 hours was bad enough when we took
Ping in for TBS (The Big Snip) - deny food from one and you have to
deny food from all, and they nearly ate me alive the next morning.
She will have food and water until the cutoff time, and then only
water. She will also not have 7 other cats harrassing her, even if
she is cowering in a metal cage

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:
Well, she hasn't gotten any worse, but hasn't improved any either,
so she will see TED this afternoon (he only sees patients in the
afternoons, mornings are when he does surgeries). She is eating,
but not enough. She is also drinking & her skin is elastic, so I don't
think she's dehydrated. I hope that this is nothing serious. She
just looks soooooo sad, like she's saying "Mommy, my tummy not feel
good"
I'll post more after her visit to TED.

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:
The past couple of days, Mimi has been 'off her feed' so to speak,
only nibbling at the food instead of gobbling it down with her
usual gusto (I guess she decided to put herself on a diet in order
to lose some weight, so we won't call her "butterball' any more). She's
also started to get a bit 'scruffy' looking. Her skin is still
very elastic, so she's getting plenty of fluids.

Last night, she acted like she was going to puke (but didn't) - so,
remembering back when we had Ivy & her CRF, we decided to give her
a Pepcid - actually, about a fourth of a pill. An hour after that
she ate some, not much. At 3:30am I got up to do the bathroom run, and
Mimi was in one of the kitchen chairs (I gave her a pat on the head
before I went tinkie). After the obligatory bladder-emptying, I
stopped at the computer to check things out (a habit I find hard to
break), and after about 30 seconds, I hear crunching behind me.
Mimi is chowing down. When she's finished, when wanders over to a
scratching post to sharpen some claws. About then DH comes in, and
ask about her. She immediately trotted over to him so she could
rub his ankles. More movement than she's made in days! We took her
back to bed with us, and she settled in to give herself a bath.
About an hour later, she was walking around the bed, so I got up
and took her out to the sofa.
When DH's alarm went off & he got up, he said she came running to
the bedroom door. After DH left for work, I left the bedroom door
open and lay in bed reading. Mimi joined me, leaning on my ankles
(after
conquering them with a kitten-nip or two) and proceeded to give
herself another bath - until she drowsed off.

DH just called me from work, and Mimi followed me into the kitchen
- and she 'meeeeeeeeeee' at me! She proceeded to lead me back in
here to the computer so I could watch her eat, and she is now
meatloafing under the 'sun' created by my desk lamp (the only sun
around here for a couple of days, too - it's been yucky wet weather so
much, I
was wondering if our complete neighborhood had been beamed to the
Seattle WA area). She is also looking less 'scruffy'.

Purrs that Mimi continues to get over her upset tummy, and a visit
to TED is not needed.
--
The ONE and ONLY

--?
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)© email me at
nalee1964 (at) insightbb (dot) com

--?

Old December 16th 04, 08:46 PM
Karen

Do you have any pine water around?? Our kittens used to drink the water in
the tree and get like this. It's a thought. Purring for Mimi and MOm.

Old December 16th 04, 11:28 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

The only tree we have is a 4 foot artificial one (on an end table), and this
went up AFTER she started losing her weight.

Old December 16th 04, 11:42 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Got word back from TED. Some of her blood values were a tad high (can't
remember which ones), but all were still within normal values. *WHEW* We
were worried that it was CRF (or worse). I was assuming that they did a
fecal swab, but maybe they didn't as I had said she had not thrown up nor
had diarhea, but now that we *know* that she's got runny poop (even though
she's not poo'd herself or anyplace other than the litterbox) & possibly the
pukies, he thinks it might be one of two things: food allergy or some sort
of digestive tract infection (even though her white blood cell count was not
elevated, but the stress of being at TED's for about 15 hours may have
affected that - his statement not mine). We will be starting her on
antibiotic tonight (Amoxocyllin) and see if that helps. If not we will try
the hypo-allergenic' food and see how that goes. We (or rather I, since I
am home more than DH) will try to get a fecal sample to take to TED so he
can check for any nasties (I'm wondering if it shouldn't be wrapped in a red
bow w/ Merry Christmas on it, LOL).

Old December 17th 04, 12:27 AM
---MIKE---

Antibiotics can CAUSE loose stool. You can get some acidolphulos
capsules (at a health food store), open the capsules and add some of the
powder in Mimi's wet food. It doesn't add any flavor to the food. Be
sure that you get REFRIGERATED capsules and check the expiration date.
I suggest that you run this by your vet first. (This was recommended by
my vet when Ike (RB) had this problem after antibiotics).

---MIKE---

Old December 17th 04, 02:11 AM
jmcquown

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:
[...]

Persia is purring hard for Mimi to feel better.

Jill

Old December 17th 04, 02:17 AM
Magic Mood Jeep©

---MIKE--- wrote:
Antibiotics can CAUSE loose stool. You can get some acidolphulos
capsules (at a health food store), open the capsules and add some of
the powder in Mimi's wet food. It doesn't add any flavor to the
food. Be sure that you get REFRIGERATED capsules and check the
expiration date. I suggest that you run this by your vet first.
(This was recommended by my vet when Ike (RB) had this problem after
antibiotics).

---MIKE---

We had a similar problem back in the later summer, one of Mimi's sisters,
Minnie (now living with her very own slave), and TED said to follow with
lactobacillus (sp) from live culture yogurt. I mentioned a product called
Benebac, manufactured specifically for orphaned critters to make sure they
have the 'good' bacteria in their systems, and he said it's the same thing.
Worked fine then, but he didn't mention any such thing this time. I'll ask
him tomorrow.

--?

Old December 17th 04, 03:41 PM
O J

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote:

[...]

It's so stressful and frustrating when we know something is wrong with
one of our little ones. Since they can't tell us what's wrong, our
imaginations run wild. I'm glad to hear that the tests are all normal
so far, and I hope the news provides you some comfort. Sit down, take
a deep breath, and have a stiff drink. Then you can go back to
keeping an eye on Mimi.

Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old December 17th 04, 10:36 PM
Elise

[...]

Purrs for poor little Mimi to feel better soonest
--
Elise (supervised by Gossamer & Jeeves)
pics:

Old December 18th 04, 12:18 PM
Adrian

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:
[...]

I wish there was something more than sending purrs that I could do. :-(
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.